Author Topic: Gaining genetic modifications and limitations  (Read 1538 times)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Gaining genetic modifications and limitations
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:36:35 PM »
Hey all,

I'm running my Harp Sci-Fi Bughunters 2155 game again and one of my players is playing a Doctor specializing in genetic modification.  The standard rules for genetic modification list prices for the changes in both credits and DP. 

My players are wondering about the DP costs.  How would others run this kind of thing? 

Right now I am running with the current rules:

1) If the character can pay the full DP costs, then the modification works as standard rules indicate.

2) If the character can not pay the full DP costs, but full time is available then the same penalties for reduced time can apply until the PC pays the DP costs.  This reflects complications of the character's body attempting to reject the modification.  Frequent and possibly expensive medical treatments (as stated in the rules) can act to mitigate these complications until the character's body stops rejecting the modification (and the PC pays the DP costs).

3) If the character can not pay the full DP costs, and full time is not taken, then complications may arise.  In addition to the normal penalties, the character may suffer temporary side effects (Limitations) until the DP costs are paid. 

4) Critical failures in the genetic treatments may cause unwanted permanent (until genetically removed) side effects.  These side effects would most likely also be new Limitations.

Any opinions on this?

The biggest problem I have with this is a lack of Limitations to use.

So far the only limitations I have are:
Slow Walker   10   Full BMR when Swimming, Climbing or Swinging. Walking/Slithering occurs at 1/4 BMR
Cold Susceptibility   10   -40 to any Stamina CRRs or RRs against natural Cold
Heat Susceptibility   10   -40 to any Stamina CRRs or RRs against natural Heat

Owned by the UT   10   The Character is the property of United Terra.  In for life and limited legal rights.
Primitive   10   All Modern, Science, and Technical Skill maneuvers -20, but all Outdoor skill maneuvers +10
Lumbering Gait   10   Reduce BMR by 1.5
Pacifism   10   Will not kill even to save their own life

And three of those don't really make sense for a genetic limitation.  Does anyone have any suggestions for additional limitations?

Thanks,
-Pyrotech

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Gaining genetic modifications and limitations
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:56:38 PM »
Depending on how "critical" the critical failure is, I could see limitation or loss of one or more senses, madness, phantom pains and various and sundry biochemical disorders. Something as simple and relatively mild as lactose intolerance, or as potentially lethal as an extreme allergic reaction to something depressingly common, so that the player had to live in a sterilized environment until it was corrected.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
Hmm a loss of sense limitation should be fairly easy.  You could even tier it depending on severity and type of sense.

Something like

Reduced Sensory Capability (-5, -10, -20, -40)
     Lesser     a severely impeded tertiary sense  -50 to skills using this sense (taste or smell in   humans)
     Minor     complete loss of a tertiary sense (taste or smell for humans), or severe impediment to a secondary sense, -50 to any skill using this sense (touch or hearing for humans)
     Major    complete loss of a secondary sense (touch or hearing for humans), or severe impediment to a primary sense, -50 to any skill using this sense (vision for humans)
     Greater   complete loss of a primary sense (vision for humans).

Insanities may be harder to implement, but I bet with some thought could be accomplished.

Lactose Intollerance might make for a nice flavor limitation.  Maybe only a -1 limitation but still enough to let the geneticist realize they goofed up a bit.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »
Lactose Intollerance might make for a nice flavor limitation.  Maybe only a -1 limitation but still enough to let the geneticist realize they goofed up a bit.

And on the other end of the scale, say, a lethal allergic reaction to methane. If you're on the same side of the horizon as an animal that experiences flatulence, concentrations too small for you to smell cause your throat to swell shut.

phantom pains
Any time the PC rolls an unmodified 66 or 00, they experience a "phantom pain." They are then at -10 to all actions until they next time they roll an unmodified 66 or 00.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula