Author Topic: HARP SF with Blaster Law?  (Read 1720 times)

Offline E-Warden

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
HARP SF with Blaster Law?
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:57:11 PM »
Would it work to use blaster law and armor rules from SM:P in a HARP SF game?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline E-Warden

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP SF with Blaster Law?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »
Anyone...
Beuller?

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 11:41:05 AM »
Unfortunately I do not have Blaster Law to say for certain.  However I would expect it to be similar to adapting RM rules to HARP.  Doable, but everyone is going to implement it slightly different and the devil is in the details.

I wish I had a better feel on this to give you a stronger opinion.

-Pyrotech

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:50:49 PM »
I was hoping someone else would have a good explanation for you as it has been a while since I have played HARP, but IIRC the main problem is how armor, skills and Hits are used in RM vs HARP. If you have those figured out to your satisfaction (and any work around's) then I would say go for it.

The only other thing I would check on is how damage and crits compare for HARP Sci Fi weapons and SM:P Blaster Law weapons that way you can see if you need to adapt anything or change any other rules in the game. For example if stuns and bleeds are more sever in SM:P BL then you might issue a rule that stuns are all reduced by 1 round and bleeds are reduced by 1/2 value from the charts. These types are mods are easier if you the GM does all of the final crit resolution or if you have a automated system of some sort to do the work for you as you can just plug in a mod in a automated system and forget about it.

In the past IIRC there were some people who did somethings in HARP so they could use RM's Arms Law with HARP but I do not remember what they are right off the top of my head. You might do a search to see if you can find such an post or article and then adapt those observations to SM:P BL.

Q: Are you doing this because the SM:P BL book has Imperium weapons in it or another reason? 

Does that help?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline E-Warden

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »
It does help. Thank you. . I had not thought of looking in the HARP/RM forums for info about this.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 05:58:41 AM »
It depends on what you want from Blaster Law - if you want to use the attack tables, then you need to map HARP SF armors to Spacemaster armor types and deduct the base armor DB out of DBs. I think you will increase lethality.

If you want the critical tables, then you could map Tiny to A etc., but you need to be alert to some Spacemaster crit effects don't exist in HARP SF.

Others have produced more elaborate conversions in the Fantasy domain, but I have not yet been convinced that any are the mechanism that I would pull into HARP officially to provide greater variety of combat results.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline E-Warden

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »
Thank you for the replies everyone. I will hold off for now and revisit of needed. I remember in our HARP campaign getting bored with the damage/crits dealt.  This was due primarily because we were switching from playing RM.