Author Topic: Dual wielding  (Read 1028 times)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Dual wielding
« on: December 26, 2016, 06:20:00 AM »
I've looked into paired weapon style and the two weapon combo a bit more. And I've made a new style to complement these, and slightly change some stuff around.

Dual wielding
  • The ability to fight with two weapons simultaneously must be learned separately for each combination of weapons, either through two weapon/gun combo, or paired weapon/gun combo. Attempting to make attacks with two weapons at once incurs a -20 penalty to the off-hand attack roll. By training the Dual wielding style you reduce the off-hand penalty by 1 per 2 ranks, i.e. 10 ranks reduce the penalty by 5, meaning the off-hand penalty becomes -15.
  • Furthermore, a Hard (-20) Dual wielding skill check may be made as full round action to allow the use of the Well-aimed shot and Power strike combat actions on one of the first attack check in the following round when using two weapon/gun combo. Increase the difficulty to Very Hard (-40) and the actions can be used for both attack rolls, or for a Paired weapon/gun attack roll.
  • Rules option 1: This skill may replace the normal requirements for paired weapon/gun combo style, this means that instead of requiring a number of ranks in the weapon skill equal to 1.5 the ranks in the paired weapon/gun combo, the character must have at least as many ranks in the weapon skill and this skill as he has in the paired weapon/gun combo.
  • Rules option 2: This skill may also allow a player to use with 2 identical weapons like the normal two weapon/gun combo, instead of using the paired weapon style. The character will then follow normal two weapon/gun combo rules.

Suggestions for tweaks or other ideas, thoughts?

This could arguably also work with the double-weapon style, instead of requiring double the number of ranks.

Also, it may be required to develop it for each combo or weapon type, but looking at martial arts styles, I believe it's within reason to have this as a generic skill - or perhaps develop it separately for ranged and melee weapons, depending on future races/species of HARP SF and multiple arms, you could require these distinct skills: 1 handed melee, 2 handed melee, 1 handed ranged, 2 handed ranged.

I know that paired weapon has a quite powerful effect, and this skill will allow those effects to be more frequent at lower levels. Also, this skill makes dual wielding easier in the long run, by lvl 13 you can remove the off-hand penalty entirely. Not as good as ambidexterity though - and the new combat action to enable certain other combat actions, while dual wielding, makes this even nice to go to. Sure, but I'm not convinced it's over-powered. One could of course further increase the checks to enable well-aimed shot/power strike, to very hard and extremely hard instead.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Dual wielding
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:54:40 AM »
I've made an updated version, see my homebrew folder (in signature).
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Dual wielding
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 11:43:24 AM »
It's been updated and changed a bit, v1.2.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff