Author Topic: Magical businesses in your games  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Magical businesses in your games
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:21:01 AM »
In our most recent blog I discuss some ideas for magical businesses that you don't often see in RPGs (read the blog here).

I thought I'd open the topic up to the forum and ask what magical businesses do you most often use in your campaigns and why? What did you think of the businesses suggested and how does magic (and the sale thereof) work in your setting?

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Magical businesses in your games
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:16:47 AM »
In cities being able to control fires or water would make fire insurance a viable business for magicians (this isn't my idea, the magic users in Waterdeep can earn a small retainer if they agree to answer the fire alarm calls).

Animists could run some pretty special apothecary shops.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:26:44 AM »
Animal control reminds me of the Witcher (which is going to be a TV series now on Netflix): an order devoted to fighting monsters.

If you think of the things that most plagued people in the past, they were things like disease, famine, fire. There would be a lot of money in businesses that addressed those concerns. You've already noted the fire departments. If magic were as ubiquitous as it is in say Shadow World, I can imagine Channeling casters hiring themselves out as healers and food/water summoners. The latter would be especially useful in sieges: a commander who had enough food/water summoners could hold out indefinitely against a blockade.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »
I use Magic brokers and Trinket type businesses in my campaigns along with apothecaries and magical schools that sell scrolls of low to moderate level (magic training for students) to fund their schools.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »
We rarely buy magic stuff other then maybe a refill of a staff or ring.
weapons can be ordered, but with a wait time for it to finish!
Most magic items are found in treasures!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »
Most of what the blog post mentioned was analyzed in depth in the series of articles titled "The Social Implications of Magic" in the Guild Companion site.
I think there were specific ideas for each spell list.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 07:45:23 PM »
Yes, our groups also found the item creation times so slow that we had to rely on NPC alchemists for them. The creation times in RM2 were too long to be practical for PCs, at least in our playstyle.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 08:37:06 PM »
In the last RM2 game we played, we created a small town on a magic node. As the area was cold and snowy, business that started up included things like:
Warm / Heat Solid: someone would come around once a day to heat the water tank in your home, this would provide underground heating and hot water to wash with.
The many digging type spells were used in construction and usually buildings were created with wall spells. This became a cultural thing in this town. Magicians and the like would develop an artistic skill or might use something like the targeting skill to make the walls unique.
Alchemists also did a roaring trade with light spells and warm solid. Bricks were put in the paths to melt snow.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist