Author Topic: Making Character Sheets Using Notepad  (Read 1227 times)

Offline mark99913

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Making Character Sheets Using Notepad
« on: September 22, 2017, 11:15:37 PM »
    I'm trying to create my own character sheets using notepad, but it's been a lot of trouble. I always need to go back to a line and make changes using delete, backspace, and etc. so that I can put as much information on a single sheet as possible. I see no way to know how much I can fit on a single line without going over the allowed space. Once I'm ready to print I look at the preview and the page is a 6 page long mess because all the times I go back and edit lines. I need to be able to print a page exactly as it looks after I finish without all my changes using delete, backspace, and etc. screwing up the length of my lines. Is there a simpler way to do this? Or should I use a different program other than Notepad that gives me more options to prevent this from happening?

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Making Character Sheets Using Notepad
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 11:32:50 PM »
Never use Notepad for anything!

There is Notepad++ but even then, just get the free suite of tools from OpenOffice.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
I agree with the sentiment, never use notepad. I use notepad++ for coding.

An alternative to OpenOffice is libreoffice which I feel is marginally superior but that could be just opinion.

Another option is to use Google Drive and Google's online apps. You can use their word processor or spreadsheet app for your sheets and have the benefit of dome auto calculation.

Another advantage of using the online apps is that you can access them from almost anywhere and you can share the sheet with the player. You can also track the changes.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline silarkhar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »
Hi,
I'm using Roll20 and I hope to start a RMC campaign in a not-so-far future. Someone could show me an example of character sheet on Google's online apps ?
ERA user for RM2 and RMC.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »
I'm making a character sheet on Google Drive. My players can copy it and make their own, if they want, but if all goes as planned, it'll autocomplete things like stat bonuses for skills, RR bonuses, etc.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.