Author Topic: The most FAQ, how do i get into RM and related products?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: The most FAQ, how do i get into RM and related products?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
I played and loved RMF/RMSS more, I think it´s more balanced, but also more complex.

What is it about the RMSS lines that you find more complex?

The only think I can think of that I, personally, would say is is maybe the skill system having categories and specific skills (and I hesitate to call that 'more complex' as it's essentially just a little more math when leveling).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Falconer

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 01:56:50 AM »
My approach would be to start with RMX and graduate to RM2. I find RMX very appealingly laid out and playable; and RM2, well, it’s the beloved game of Palantir Quest and the Shadow World Grand Campaign and hundreds of other adventures. It might just be me, but I don’t get excited about game mechanics for their own sake; to me that’s not “the game”; to me they are just a gateway to adventure. My philosophy is to get off the edition carousel and just get a game on the table.

Offline GamemasterAlf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 11:14:43 PM »
I "think"  I play RM2 and like this system as a starting point
But don't limit yourself based on anyones opinion
I have sampled most of the systems although I have not looked at RMU yet

I have been playing the game for many years now, and I have regularly grabbed bits and pieces of other RM rules and incorporated them into my personal version of the system.
I don't even use the original rule books anymore as I have made too many adjustments and have had to document my own version for my players

I actually have 2 slightly different systems in 2 different campaigns I run although both RM2 based

It is often very workable to incorporate aspects and rules you like of the other RM system versions although you have to be careful you do not put things in that throw everything out of balance. I have had some setbacks

Regardless of where you start I think you will find it an amazing system to work with

Offline Chapomaster

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 11:29:41 PM »
snip
What is the thing you like the most about RM?