Author Topic: Tintamar Chapter - first feedback  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Tintamar Chapter - first feedback
« on: March 12, 2007, 08:05:50 AM »
Hi,

I have overall read now about 20% of the pdf and a) I really like it and b) here my first comments on the Tintamar chapter (I read it twice and searched for corresponding data in the later chapters):

- In general: to me this chapter was a little bit confusing, mainly because things are mentioned that I did not have any explanation yet (f.e. the races) -> I am not sure this chapter should be the first one....
- I would like to see a timeline table, both for Terrans as for the different aliens
- I am confused by the portals. What is the difference between "Greater" and "Lesser" portals? A "Lesser" needs a partner portal, a "Greater" not? Or has a "Lesser" portal a specific partner, a "Greater" can use any other "Lesser" as partner? Reading later on: .. the "incoming" aperture of a portal is closed ... - are there 2 apertures, how do I have to imagine that? How are portals operated (it took me a while do figure out that the humans were the first to discover this secret, at first reading it seemed like it operates always) ? How and why did the humans share this secret with the other races?
- What are the distances of the mentioned planets to Sol? I would like to see a table showing all the distances from any system to any system (this table is mentioned, but I did not find it).

BR
Juergen

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Tintamar Chapter - first feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 08:41:01 AM »
- In general: to me this chapter was a little bit confusing, mainly because things are mentioned that I did not have any explanation yet (f.e. the races) -> I am not sure this chapter should be the first one....
- I would like to see a timeline table, both for Terrans as for the different aliens

Good suggestion

- I am confused by the portals. What is the difference between "Greater" and "Lesser" portals? A "Lesser" needs a partner portal, a "Greater" not? Or has a "Lesser" portal a specific partner, a "Greater" can use any other "Lesser" as partner? Reading later on: .. the "incoming" aperture of a portal is closed ... - are there 2 apertures, how do I have to imagine that? How are portals operated (it took me a while do figure out that the humans were the first to discover this secret, at first reading it seemed like it operates always) ? How and why did the humans share this secret with the other races?
IIRC, A Lesser Portal only allows for a shorter travel distance, and/or to the nearest Greater Portal - cannot quite remember...

The image attached below shows a rough diagram of a portal.

And the portals are normally operated via the control module. However, it could be possible that a remote signal could work for it as well, like with the Lagrange Drive (but in those cases I would leave it up to the GM to determine some things like - does a remote opening only go to the nearest greater portal?).

We want to make sure we provide enough information without putting a straight-jacket on GMs at the same time.

- What are the distances of the mentioned planets to Sol? I would like to see a table showing all the distances from any system to any system (this table is mentioned, but I did not find it).

That would be the transit time table in the Downloads section...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 02:39:26 PM »
Hi,

I have overall read now about 20% of the pdf and a) I really like it and b) here my first comments on the Tintamar chapter (I read it twice and searched for corresponding data in the later chapters):

It would probably be harder still if it was moved later in the book as you would then have out-of-context Tintamar Knowledge Base segments that would all be forward references. Once the page count is stable, putting see page XXX references into the chapter would not be difficult.

It will go on the wish list.

- I am confused by the portals. What is the difference between "Greater" and "Lesser" portals? A "Lesser" needs a partner portal, a "Greater" not? Or has a "Lesser" portal a specific partner, a "Greater" can use any other "Lesser" as partner?
Reading later on: .. the "incoming" aperture of a portal is closed ... - are there 2 apertures, how do I have to imagine that? How are portals operated (it took me a while do figure out that the humans were the first to discover this secret, at first reading it seemed like it operates always) ?

Quoting directly from the manuscript:
The portals are cylindrical in shape, immobile, made of some unknown material that resists analysis and is seemingly indestructible, and have an aperture at each end. Two types of portals have been discovered so far: lesser portals approximately 500 meters along their length axis with apertures 50 meters in diameter, and greater portals approximately 1km along their length axis with apertures 75 meters in diameter. The portal dimensions restrict the size of starships that can use them.

So: cylindrical in shape with a hole at either end of the cylinder. Tim's sketch is quite reasonable.

Back to quoting:
A starship, which sends a properly encoded pulse of gravity waves (giving the destination), can switch on its Lagrange Drive as it enters one end of the portal. It will then be transferred into a hyperspace dimension where it will move at a hypervelocity of 1 light-year per minute. On completing the transit, the spacecraft will exit into normal space from either the other aperture of another portal or the L4 point of the destination solar system.

So: you send a gravity pulse at the portal, it opens a hyperspace route, which pops you out at the destination system, either in its L4 point or through the other end of the portal (lesser or greater is irrelevant) if there is one in the target system.

Quoting:
One aperture of each portal is solely for entering hyperspace; the other is solely for exiting hyperspace. Lesser portals have a maximum range of 500 light-years. Greater portals are capable of moving ships to any major L4 point or other portal anywhere in the galaxy.

How and why did the humans share this secret with the other races?

The test destination for the first series of portal transits was the Nexus system,  so they gave the secret away accidentally.

That's in the transit table pdf.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 02:44:55 PM »

And the portals are normally operated via the control module. However, it could be possible that a remote signal could work for it as well, like with the Lagrange Drive (but in those cases I would leave it up to the GM to determine some things like - does a remote opening only go to the nearest greater portal?).

The signal is beamed at the control module, which is an automatic mechanism. There are no human or alien operators inside there routing starships around the galaxy. There may be Builder AIs doing that but no one has been able to get inside a portal.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 04:18:18 PM »
ahh.. ok... my memory was faulty...  ;D

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 02:59:12 AM »
Hi,

I found the information, but much later on.

As the portals are one of the defining and driving factors of the Tintamar universe, I personally would prefer to have all the relevant information early on, i.e. when I read about them for the first time.

My suggestion is therefore to add a sidebox on portals (like the one in HARP on page 12 on Monk Attacks) with all this information to the Tintamar chapter. And perhaps another one on races (general description).

BR
Juergen

Offline Acid_Crash

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 08:42:14 AM »
I was just wondering why the Tintamar Conflicts is in the SysOp chapter and not at the end of the Tintamar chapter.  If Tintamar Conflicts had many secrets about the setting that players should not have I can see it, but in the brief scan through all it is is possibly types of different campaign types.  Wouldn't it make sense to have it at the end of the Tintamar chapter???

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 01:17:20 PM »
Acid_Crash -- Actually no, it is better to put it in the SysOp chapter, as it is specifically relating to the type of game that the GM (i.e. SysOp) will be running, and it doesn't really include anything that a Player needs to know.