Author Topic: Talents - Feedback  (Read 5470 times)

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Talents - Feedback
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
Hi,

Here my comments regarding talents (& species):

- There is no race which has a DP cost above 0 -> remove it?
- In the species section it is mentioned that Genetic Adaptation allows you to exchange up to 2 species talents with other genetic talents. Then a list of the genetic talents is given, including their cost (used for the "second path" described on page 34). The cost for the Genetic Adaptation talent is not given.
   - My suggestion: remove everything from the species section except a statement that up to 2 species talents can be exchanged with the Genetic Adaptation Talent. In the Talents section just mark in table 7.1 the genetic talents with an asterisk and make a corresponding note at the bottom and in the description of the Genetic Adaptation Talent. And state somewhere in the Talents section that all talents purchased at level 1 do not require the normal financial cost and recovery time. In my opinion this would be more clear and frees page space.
- On page 58 there are 3 stages of technology mentioned but not explained. When they are explained (page 73), there are 5 stages -> I suggest a reference to page 73 on page 58 and a ruling for the prototype stage (I think players should have the opportunity to use prototype equipment).
- I suggest to add a talent that gives a bonus to Resistance: Electricity.
- With the ruling on Latent Psionic Field you will never be able to buy this talent to the 5th field (because 175 DPs are not available at level 1) -> is this on purpose?
- Do the Latent Psionic Field talents of the Adept profession count towards the cost of additional Latent Psionic Field talents? I suggest to add a clarification.
- The descriptions and rulings of Low Pressure and High Pressure tolerance are different -> would it be possible to use a similiar ruling?
- The cost of Scientific Specialization is 10 and you get 5 skill ranks. To me this sounds very cheap and easy to abuse for characters with Scientific cost of 4/rank. But I am not sure what a good solution would be.
- The Speed Loader talent does not include firearms, although it takes 3 rounds to change a clip (p. 137) -> I suggest to include firearms and energy weapons as well.
- The Sureshot talent is only for missile weapons -> I suggest to use it for normal firearms and energy weapons as well. I am not sure about Gunnery (at least as long it is not artillery).
- I suggest to make a connection from the Zero Gravity Talent to the Zero-G Maneuvering skill, i.e. the talent should make the skill obsolete or a character with Zero Gravity Talent needs a skill Gravity Maneuvering with the same mechanics as Zero-G maneuvering....
- The power of Poison Sac depends on level. For me this is a big conflict with the HARP design philosophy (and I really don't like this, there is no other skill/talent/poison/.... that is dependent on character level). I suggest to make it level invariant (e.g. +50+roll for RR target) or make the cost of the talent dependent of the power of the poison.
- Cold and Heat Resistance: wouldn't it also make sense to have this talent reduce cold/heat criticals/attacks by 1 or 2 sizes (depending on the "size" of the talent)?

BR
Juergen
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 12:58:05 PM by Mungo »

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Talents - Feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 06:31:20 PM »
Hi,

Here my comments regarding talents (& species):

- There is no race which has a DP cost above 0 -> remove it?

There isn't currently. Some of the species destined for SysOp's Guide will have.

- In the species section it is mentioned that Genetic Adaptation allows you to exchange up to 2 species talents with other genetic talents. Then a list of the genetic talents is given, including their cost (used for the "second path" described on page 34). The cost for the Genetic Adaptation talent is not given.
   - My suggestion: remove everything from the species section except a statement that up to 2 species talents can be exchanged with the Genetic Adaptation Talent. In the Talents section just mark in table 7.1 the genetic talents with an asterisk and make a corresponding note at the bottom and in the description of the Genetic Adaptation Talent. And state somewhere in the Talents section that all talents purchased at level 1 do not require the normal financial cost and recovery time. In my opinion this would be more clear and frees page space.

Genetic Adaptation is costed in Chapter 7 but that should have been declared in the Species & Cultures chapter as well. In HARP Fantasy, Blood Talents are explained with the races because it's a choice to be made then. I think it's important to present the subspecies/genemodding here for the same reason.

- On page 58 there are 3 stages of technology mentioned but not explained. When they are explained (page 73), there are 5 stages -> I suggest a reference to page 73 on page 58 and a ruling for the prototype stage (I think players should have the opportunity to use prototype equipment).

Prototypes are, according to the plan, to be handled in SysOp's Guide because the rules there should cover inventing new tech and getting it to prototype, not just using it.

- I suggest to add a talent that gives a bonus to Resistance: Electricity.

Resistance: Electronics is only purchasable by electronic characters or those with the right implant. There is a Robotic "Talent".

- With the ruling on Latent Psionic Field you will never be able to buy this talent to the 5th field (because 175 DPs are not available at level 1) -> is this on purpose?
- Do the Latent Psionic Field talents of the Adept profession count towards the cost of additional Latent Psionic Field talents? I suggest to add a clarification.

There are extended examples in the psionics chapter on this. Basically you can get two Latents for free by taking Adept and so could buy the rest for 155 DPs. Which again no one will have but it is intentional to prevent characters getting access to every Discipline.

- The descriptions and rulings of Low Pressure and High Pressure tolerance are different -> would it be possible to use a similiar ruling?

That's because they are simulating different capabilities. With high pressure tolerance, the character can simply breathe in the permitted range and so ignores any decompression issues in returning to normalcy. With low pressure tolerance, it's less of a struggle to breathe in reduced pressure, and so there's a major bonus against the harmful effects.

- The Speed Loader talent does not include firearms, although it takes 3 rounds to change a clip (p. 137) -> I suggest to include firearms and energy weapons as well.

Yup, good suggestion.

- The Sureshot talent is only for missile weapons -> I suggest to use it for normal firearms and energy weapons as well. I am not sure about Gunnery (at least as long it is not artillery).

Ranged weapons, yes. Gunnery, no, as it already has Natural Gunner.

- I suggest to make a connection from the Zero Gravity Talent to the Zero-G Maneuvering skill, i.e. the talent should make the skill obsolete or a character with Zero Gravity Talent needs a skill Gravity Maneuvering with the same mechanics as Zero-G maneuvering....

Interesting idea on the first option. Characters from low-gee will suffer enough from the high gravity effects that Gravity Maneuvering would be unpleasantly harsh.

- The power of Poison Sac depends on level. For me this is a big conflict with the HARP design philosophy (and I really don't like this, there is no other skill/talent/poison/.... that is dependent on character level). I suggest to make it level invariant (e.g. +50+roll for RR target) or make the cost of the talent dependent of the power of the poison.

It properly ought to become a Cascading Resistance Roll, but they are all on the vicious end of the spectrum.

- Cold and Heat Resistance: wouldn't it also make sense to have this talent reduce cold/heat criticals/attacks by 1 or 2 sizes (depending on the "size" of the talent)?

They would be significantly stronger abilities then. The ability to be comfortable in elevated or reduced temperatures is different than being able to stick one's hand in a fire for instance.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

[/quote]
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline TheMAG

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
Just a quick question...

All the scaled talents are minor or major except Dark Vision which is lesser or greater. Is that a mistake or is Dark Vision special?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 02:37:34 PM »
Just a quick question...

All the scaled talents are minor or major except Dark Vision which is lesser or greater. Is that a mistake or is Dark Vision special?

The progression for Tough Hide goes lesser, minor, major, greater. Using the middle two allows me an option to create lesser versions or more extreme versions as greater.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline chk

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Gang Rolemaster
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:51:02 PM »
Three comments on talents came up today:

"Hotshot" should more accurately be "Hotshot Pilot"? There are other meanings of the term.

The "Intuition" talent is confusing; we don't understand what it actually does. Does it allow you to make a "Combat Perception" check anytime, even when you're not in combat? Or does it remove the -50 penalty for performing a "Combat Perception" check? Or does it do something else entirely?

The "Flight" talent suspends disbelief, unless it is also coupled with a genetic adaptation like wings. What is the intent here?

Thanks!

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:53:04 PM »
Three comments on talents came up today:

"Hotshot" should more accurately be "Hotshot Pilot"? There are other meanings of the term.

Fine.

The "Intuition" talent is confusing; we don't understand what it actually does. Does it allow you to make a "Combat Perception" check anytime, even when you're not in combat? Or does it remove the -50 penalty for performing a "Combat Perception" check? Or does it do something else entirely?

The first. I'll see if I can improve the description.

The "Flight" talent suspends disbelief, unless it is also coupled with a genetic adaptation like wings. What is the intent here?

You need wings in HARP SF. I'll add a note to that effect.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline chk

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Gang Rolemaster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »

So I have some more questions; maybe I'm just misunderstanding a HARP mechanic here. Apologies if this is getting off-topic.

- What is preventing a player from simply declaring "smells like a trap" and making a quick Perception roll with time penalties?
- Is this supposed to be like the "Awareness/Alertness" and "Awareness/Sense Ambush" passive skills in Rolemaster, or is this a different mechanic?

Thanks,

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 03:10:32 PM »

So I have some more questions; maybe I'm just misunderstanding a HARP mechanic here. Apologies if this is getting off-topic.

- What is preventing a player from simply declaring "smells like a trap" and making a quick Perception roll with time penalties?
- Is this supposed to be like the "Awareness/Alertness" and "Awareness/Sense Ambush" passive skills in Rolemaster, or is this a different mechanic?

Thanks,

That is my understanding of the Talent as an Alertness / Danger Sense mechanism. It's originally from Martial Law, so Tim would be the final arbiter of what he believed Chris Adams intended there (assuming Chris came up with it, rather than Tim or Heike).

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline rad42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 05:29:06 PM »
Hello,
I just got the HARP SF download, and really like what I see. ;D

Just a little quibble with the description for the Dense Musculature talent.  Part of it reads..."The character gains a special +5 to both his OB and DB."  Surely this isn't meant to mean all the character's OB's, including modern projectile and energy weapons.  I just can't quite wrap my little brain around how a dense musculature helps a person shoot straighter.  Maybe the description needs a bit of clarification?...or I do?

Thanks

Offline rad42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 03:08:11 AM »
I found another issue I'd like to discuss.  The HARP-SF Beta makes at least two mentions of the fact that a character must take the Latent Psionic Field talent only at 1st level.  But, Latent Psionic Talent is also a Professional ability of the Adept profession.  This seems to leave open the possibility of a character taking a profession (say Soldier, just as an example) at 1st level, then taking the Adept profession at a later level...and choosing Latent Psionic Field talent at that time as the professional ability as allowed by the Additional Profession talent (a rather obvious choice for that profession)::)

It seems that the easy fix is to restrict the Adept profession to 1st level only.  Perhaps some SysOps will allow Latent Psi Field to be talent that can be taken after 1st level by means of Genetic Augmentation technology.  But this choice seems to invite abuse.  Some SysOps may have no problem with this, but it does seem to be an obvious exploit that should be addressed.

Thoughts?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 03:39:09 AM »
Hello,
I just got the HARP SF download, and really like what I see. ;D

Just a little quibble with the description for the Dense Musculature talent.  Part of it reads..."The character gains a special +5 to both his OB and DB."  Surely this isn't meant to mean all the character's OB's, including modern projectile and energy weapons.  I just can't quite wrap my little brain around how a dense musculature helps a person shoot straighter.  Maybe the description needs a bit of clarification?...or I do?

Thanks

Better coping with recoil so less chance of firing arm moving as you take the shot. (For simplicity, core rules use strength and agility for all weapons. There's a SysOp's Choice to make it Ag/Ag for energy weapons. One could extend that to make Dense Musculature only for melee, archaic missile, and firearms. On the other hand, it is only +5)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 03:40:51 AM »
I found another issue I'd like to discuss.  The HARP-SF Beta makes at least two mentions of the fact that a character must take the Latent Psionic Field talent only at 1st level.  But, Latent Psionic Talent is also a Professional ability of the Adept profession.  This seems to leave open the possibility of a character taking a profession (say Soldier, just as an example) at 1st level, then taking the Adept profession at a later level...and choosing Latent Psionic Field talent at that time as the professional ability as allowed by the Additional Profession talent (a rather obvious choice for that profession)::)

It seems that the easy fix is to restrict the Adept profession to 1st level only.  Perhaps some SysOps will allow Latent Psi Field to be talent that can be taken after 1st level by means of Genetic Augmentation technology.  But this choice seems to invite abuse.  Some SysOps may have no problem with this, but it does seem to be an obvious exploit that should be addressed.

Thoughts?

In adding in the Fusion profession, I modified the Additional Profession section to explicitly prevent characters taking the Latent Psi Talents if they become an Adept or a Fusion at second level or above.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 10:57:38 AM »
Better coping with recoil so less chance of firing arm moving as you take the shot. (For simplicity, core rules use strength and agility for all weapons. There's a SysOp's Choice to make it Ag/Ag for energy weapons. One could extend that to make Dense Musculature only for melee, archaic missile, and firearms. On the other hand, it is only +5)

How about +5 to all Strength-related OB?  That then, if the game is using Ag/Ag for firearms, removes Dense Musculature from that.

Laz

Offline rad42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 09:42:10 PM »
I have a question about the talent Electrical Sense.

The character can perceive electricity, whether it is the
electrical fields generated by equipment or the electrical impulses
in living creatures, and can ?see? the patterns of the fields and
impulses. Range is normally limited to 5m.
HARP-SF Beta 0.1.1 Pg. 61

What does this actually do for the character?  A bonus to repairing electronic equipment, by reading the fields produced by electrical current?  A chance to detect hidden items that have electrical activity (anything from a lost digital watch to a spacecraft concealed by holography)?

I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse, or if this is one of those things each SysOps should flesh out for their campaign.  But, since you must have had your reasons for including it, I assume you have something in mind to make it useful for characters.  Useful enough to be worth 15 DP's.  Maybe a fleshed out explanation for this talent?

Thanks

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 07:30:45 AM »
I have a question about the talent Electrical Sense.

The character can perceive electricity, whether it is the
electrical fields generated by equipment or the electrical impulses
in living creatures, and can ?see? the patterns of the fields and
impulses. Range is normally limited to 5m.
HARP-SF Beta 0.1.1 Pg. 61

What does this actually do for the character?  A bonus to repairing electronic equipment, by reading the fields produced by electrical current?  A chance to detect hidden items that have electrical activity (anything from a lost digital watch to a spacecraft concealed by holography)?

I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse, or if this is one of those things each SysOps should flesh out for their campaign.  But, since you must have had your reasons for including it, I assume you have something in mind to make it useful for characters.  Useful enough to be worth 15 DP's.  Maybe a fleshed out explanation for this talent?

Thanks

I was thinking "Sharks" at the time, but I'll tweak the talent description to give some specifics.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »
Here you go.

Electrical Sense
The character can perceive electricity, whether it is the electrical fields generated by equipment or the electrical impulses in living creatures, and can  ?see? the patterns of the fields and impulses. Characters with this ability receive a +10 bonus to any maneuvers where direct observation of the electrical field would be useful (e.g. Engineering to repair electrical devices, Electronic Bypass, Demolitions for spotting the live wires, etc.) and may make Perception maneuvers to locate hidden individuals or objects by spotting their electrical fields. Range is normally limited to 5m. 
Cost: 15

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Cowboy

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 09:14:52 AM »
-I think it would be a good idea to add some detrimental "anti-talents" to the list to allow for genetic variations/mutations with undesirable changes. Such as extra-sensitivity to light, poor resistance to various types of environments and similar. It wouldn't need to be very many - just the logical side-effect some of the beneficial changes might have. Alternatively, some of the existing talents could be given a downside with which the talent could be purchased at a small discount.

Otherwise, I think the fairly large selection of talents is excellent and makes it easy to do a DIY human variation without having to have an endless list of near-identical species with only minor differences.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 09:54:16 AM »
-I think it would be a good idea to add some detrimental "anti-talents" to the list to allow for genetic variations/mutations with undesirable changes. Such as extra-sensitivity to light, poor resistance to various types of environments and similar. It wouldn't need to be very many - just the logical side-effect some of the beneficial changes might have. Alternatively, some of the existing talents could be given a downside with which the talent could be purchased at a small discount.

While there will be a list of Species Limitations in SysOp's Guide, anti-talents are individual Flaws and Flaws are not happening in HARP. (More correctly, Flaws that give points back to the character won't happen ever in HARP Fantasy/SF/etc.)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline rad42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 11:47:55 PM »
Here you go.

Electrical Sense
The character can perceive electricity, whether it is the electrical fields generated by equipment or the electrical impulses in living creatures, and can  “see” the patterns of the fields and impulses. Characters with this ability receive a +10 bonus to any maneuvers where direct observation of the electrical field would be useful (e.g. Engineering to repair electrical devices, Electronic Bypass, Demolitions for spotting the live wires, etc.) and may make Perception maneuvers to locate hidden individuals or objects by spotting their electrical fields. Range is normally limited to 5m. 
Cost: 15

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Like it  ;D

Thanks

Offline rad42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 02:48:57 AM »
About some of the talents involving environmental adaptation.  The talents around gravity are, shall we say, polarized.  That is, a character cannot be adapted to high gravity and low (or zero) gravity.  He must choose one or the other.

Part of the desription of the High Gravity [Minor] talent...
This Talent cannot be taken in addition to Low
Gravity (Minor or Major) or Zero-Gravity Adaptation.
HARP-SF Beta 0.1.1 Pg. 62

Might it be wise to include a similar 'polarization' to the talents around temperature?  So that a character cannot be resistant to both high and low temperatures. 

Thoughts?