Author Topic: Pulse Rifle?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Pulse Rifle?
« on: March 31, 2007, 01:22:19 AM »
One of my favourite "sci-fi" guns ever is the Pulse Rifle as seen in Aliens (and the concept as used elsewhere - see Half-Life 2, Halo, and others).  That is: assault rifle, with short but accurate burst fire mode (sometimes using energy shots rather than bullets).  What's the best way to model something like this in HARP SF?  I'm thinking an Assault Rifle is a good base (and probably is right for the Aliens M41A), but how balanced is an Assault Rifle with a Med. Laser/Plasma (depending on style) gun?

Laz

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Pulse Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 06:08:44 AM »
One of my favourite "sci-fi" guns ever is the Pulse Rifle as seen in Aliens (and the concept as used elsewhere - see Half-Life 2, Halo, and others).  That is: assault rifle, with short but accurate burst fire mode (sometimes using energy shots rather than bullets).  What's the best way to model something like this in HARP SF?  I'm thinking an Assault Rifle is a good base (and probably is right for the Aliens M41A), but how balanced is an Assault Rifle with a Med. Laser/Plasma (depending on style) gun?

Laz

The Laser Rifle would probably be a reliable energy weapon equivalent. The Flame Repeater could also work but has a relatively high fumble range.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme