Author Topic: Viper Fighter  (Read 3213 times)

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Viper Fighter
« on: April 01, 2007, 11:46:34 PM »
Just went and statted up a Viper Jock, and decided she needs a Viper (Battlestar Galactica fighter) to fly.  Reading through the Vehicle chapter, the best thing to do is to modify the 1-man Starfighter.  Here's what I've come up with:

Viper Mk. II Starfighter
The Viper Mark II is an older model at the time of the destruction of the Colonies.  A remnant of the first Cylon War, it allowed the Battlestar Galactica to survive, thanks to its antiquated computer systems.  It holds the honour of being the most maneuverable fighter ever designed - at least, until its successors came around.  The Viper's weapon systems are twin-linked autocannon, with high rate of fire (and ammunition expenditure).  The Viper's ancient computer systems sometimes work against it, lacking any real form of Electronic Warfare (unlike its sister-in-arms, the Raptor).

Hits: 70
Armour: 30
Shields: 0 (note: shields don't exist in the BSG universe)
Electronic Warfare: 10
Point Defence: 0
Maneuver: 60
Weapons:
  • 2x +20 Small Piercing Autocannon (800 rounds each, 20 rounds / second fire rate)
  • 1x +10 Medium Warhead Lightning Javelin Missile Launcher (8 missiles) [optional]
Speed/Accel: Can't find it.  In one of the episodes of S.1 just after Starbuck is injured, there's mention of (x)g thrust, but I don't have my episodes with me, and Battlestarwiki doesn't have it :(
Total DB: +100

... How does that look to folks?  The Mk. VII, as I see it, adds one more Autocannon, an extra 5 points of EW and 15 of Maneuver.

I also noticed that fighter pilots will need the CS&M: Combat Driving/Piloting skill... that's sad, and it isn't in the Starfighter Pilot training package - I'd suggest cutting Gunnery and Space Pilot from 4 to 3 (as max rank increase goes up by 3), and tossing those two points into CS&M: Combat Driving/Piloting, as I foresee fighter pilots getting into dogfights and stuff...

Laz

[edit]Fixed the weapon sizes.[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:51:18 PM by lazarus, Reason: fix weapon sizes »

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Viper Fighter
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:14:35 AM »
Or you could just create a Viper Pilot Training Package.... 

;D

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:15:40 AM »
Or you could just create a Viper Pilot Training Package....

Well, yes, but part of this beta is to improve things, right?  Starfighter pilots will need the CS&M skill, and it's not in their training package.  That's what I was pointing out.

Laz

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »
ah.... that is something different than talking about a setting specific instance....

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:52:16 PM »
ah.... that is something different than talking about a setting specific instance....
Ah, then perhaps I wasn't clear in that paragraph.  Yes, it was intended as "CS&M: Combat Piloting seems to be needed for all starfighter pilots.  The training package in the book doesn't have it - this is misleading."

Laz

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 01:18:17 PM »
You started the thread off doing a write up of  a BSG Viper, so I presumed that the rest of the thread also referred specifically to the setting...

Oopsey...   ;D

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 01:58:40 PM »
I also noticed that fighter pilots will need the CS&M: Combat Driving/Piloting skill... that's sad, and it isn't in the Starfighter Pilot training package - I'd suggest cutting Gunnery and Space Pilot from 4 to 3 (as max rank increase goes up by 3), and tossing those two points into CS&M: Combat Driving/Piloting, as I foresee fighter pilots getting into dogfights and stuff...

Laz

I can't comment on the Viper as I have not seen the new Battlestar Galactica (it's on Sky here which I don't have and I have not seen the DVDs at a reasonable price) and my memories of the old series are few and far between.

The Starfighter Pilot does need CS&M:Combat Piloting. Change made.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 02:22:28 PM »
I can't comment on the Viper as I have not seen the new Battlestar Galactica (it's on Sky here which I don't have and I have not seen the DVDs at a reasonable price) and my memories of the old series are few and far between.
I guess part of it comes down to "what are reasonable weapons for a starfighter?" - the guns are there in the table, but it doesn't (at least, I didn't see) a distinction between capital scale and fighter scale - that is, what is appropriate for each ... vehicle guidelines (Is this slated to be in the SysOp guide?  I seem to remember seeing something like that on the list).  Not actually something that is missing from the core, but balance aids are always handy (there's sufficient there, actually).

Based on my reading of the table, you intend Medium to be powerful small craft scale, and Small to be the standard for small craft?  Is that correct?  In that case, the Viper's main guns ought to be Small Piercing.  The missiles probably ought to be Medium (I couldn't remember their use, but now remember that they're used to take on Baseships ...).

Laz

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »
I guess part of it comes down to "what are reasonable weapons for a starfighter?" - the guns are there in the table, but it doesn't (at least, I didn't see) a distinction between capital scale and fighter scale - that is, what is appropriate for each ... vehicle guidelines (Is this slated to be in the SysOp guide?  I seem to remember seeing something like that on the list).  Not actually something that is missing from the core, but balance aids are always handy (there's sufficient there, actually).

Based on my reading of the table, you intend Medium to be powerful small craft scale, and Small to be the standard for small craft?  Is that correct?  In that case, the Viper's main guns ought to be Small Piercing.  The missiles probably ought to be Medium (I couldn't remember their use, but now remember that they're used to take on Baseships ...).

Laz

Keep Starfighters to Tiny and Small cannon (laser, plasma, autocannon, etc.) Small and Medium "cannon" for scoutcraft and corvettes (small frigates). Reserve Large for full frigates, destroyers, and cruisers, some of which might have Huge weapons systems. Anything larger will undoubtedly have Huge weapon systems.

Medium Warheads is safe enough for starfighters - they won't have many.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 02:50:32 PM »
Thanks for the guidelines, Nicholas :)

I would suggest putting those in the HARP SF core, but they really don't fit without any other starship statting guidelines, which is more fit for SysOp Guide.  They should be stated somewhere sometime, though.

Laz