Author Topic: Flying/Gliding and Zero-G maneuvering  (Read 3342 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Flying/Gliding and Zero-G maneuvering
« on: April 21, 2007, 10:41:48 AM »
We've rewritten the description of Flying/Gliding and brought Zero-G maneuvering into line with it. Can people please read the following descriptions and tell us if they are clear?

Flying/Gliding
This skill provides the basic knowledge for the use of natural or artificial wings (e.g. feathered wings, parachutes, hang gliders, etc.) and individual antigravity belts (which do not exist in the Tintamar universe), etc.  All types of maneuvers performed while flying/gliding suffer a natural -75 penalty. This skill is used to offset this penalty and automatically reduces the penalty (no roll required).  This skill does not allow a character to fight while flying/gliding.  For that a character must learn the Combat Style/Maneuver: Aerial Combat skill.
It is possible to increase the Flying/Gliding skill beyond what is necessary to reduce the penalty and receive a bonus to maneuvers. If the penalty has been reduced to zero, then half the skill bonus (rounded down) beyond that may be used as a maneuver bonus. For example, if a character?s Flying/Gliding skill bonus is 96, they would receive a +10 bonus on flying maneuvers ((96 ?75) / 2 = 10).
(Athletic ? Ag/SD ? Special)

Zero-G Maneuvering
In zero-gravity and micro-gravity conditions in space, in orbital habitats and on comets, moonlets, and many asteroids, astronauts experience ?weightlessness?. Objects no longer fall to the floor but float or drift in the air. A misjudged leap can catapult an explorer into orbit around a tiny worldlet, and all movement is in slow motion. Reactions, which rely on the equivalence of weight and mass/inertia, betray their possessor. All physical maneuvers and actions attempted in zero-gravity and micro-gravity conditions suffer a natural ?75 penalty. To combat this problem, spacers can resort to artificial gravity or learn this skill. The Zero-G Maneuvering skill is used to offset this penalty and automatically reduces the penalty (no roll required).  This skill does not allow a character to fight in zero-gravity or micro-gravity.  For that a character must learn the Combat Style/Maneuver: Zero-G Combat skill.
It is possible to increase the Zero-G Maneuvering skill beyond what is necessary to reduce the penalty and receive a bonus to maneuvers. If the penalty has been reduced to zero, then half the skill bonus (rounded down) beyond that may be used as a maneuver bonus. For example, if a character's Zero-G Maneuvering skill bonus is 88, they would receive a +5 bonus on zero-g and micro-gravity maneuvers ((86 ?75) / 2 = 5).
(Athletic ? Ag/SD ? Special)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 02:17:54 PM by NicholasHMCaldwell »
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: Flying/Gliding and Zero-G maneuvering
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:18:41 AM »
they are clear enough for me.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 02:54:14 PM »
I think it's pretty straight forward. Sounds good!
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 03:57:32 PM »
Hi Nicholas,

Yes, to me this is quite clear.

And thanks a lot for the change to Zero-G.

I also want to use this opportunity to say that I am really impressed by the way you are taking our feedback into account. I am not only talking about the fact that you make changes at all, but also the way you do them (i.e. seriously considering implications and alpha testing them). Thanks a lot for this!

BR
Juergen

Offline chk

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Gang Rolemaster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 07:37:31 AM »
makes sense to me, although it is Sunday morning and I'm on my first coffee...

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 08:53:57 AM »
Makes sense, and nice and clear.

Laz

Offline kafka

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 05:42:46 PM »
does the -75 to All physical maneuvers and actions in zero-G count towards such actions as picking a lock or welding a joint?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 06:36:10 PM »
are they physical maneuvers? If so, then yes.

Offline kafka

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 08:17:23 PM »
are they physical maneuvers?

well yes,in this case.but if they can secure themselves in place with a harness or something,should the penalty still apply?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 10:26:08 PM »
well yes,in this case.but if they can secure themselves in place with a harness or something,should the penalty still apply?

If they secure themselves, then they aren't really flying (or dealing with the full effects of zero-g) now are they?

Why are the Penalties there? Because flying and zero-g are a much less stable base on which to perform maneuvers (i.e. you have nothing working in resistance, like a floor). If you provide that, or least some of that stability then the full penalty should not apply, but I would base it upon how secure they are compared to attempting the same maneuver on solid ground.

Offline kafka

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 04:08:45 AM »

If they secure themselves, then they aren't really flying (or dealing with the full effects of zero-g) now are they? 

thanks ,i thought so.but if i was to take the rule as written literally(without the aid of common sense  :) ) i could say that in this situation the penalty still applies as welding a joint is still a physical action regardless of whether or not the person is bodily moving through the enviroment.

although i do understand the term "Zero-G Maneuvering" implies that they are moving.i think that fact could be clarified in the following sentence of the rule

"All physical maneuvers and actions attempted in zero-gravity and micro-gravity conditions suffer a natural ?75"

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 04:24:27 AM by kafka »