Author Topic: Adolescent Ranks - Mathematics?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Adolescent Ranks - Mathematics?
« on: May 01, 2007, 12:44:15 AM »
Reading the description of the Mathematics skill, 1 rank is necessary for counting and basic math, and more gets into higher education.

The question, then, is why isn't that on the Adolescent Skill Ranks table?  The suggestion would be to add it in :p  It seems like a useful background skill that most cultures in most sci-fi settings (post apocalyptic need not apply) would have at at least 1 rank, some at even up to 3 or 4, I would think.

Laz

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Adolescent Ranks - Mathematics?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 02:58:25 AM »
Did I mention that I would remove this skill at all, as its in-game use is so extremely limited (i.e. at least none of my players will ever take it...)?  :-X

BR
Juergen

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 09:55:50 AM »
Reading the description of the Mathematics skill, 1 rank is necessary for counting and basic math, and more gets into higher education.

The question, then, is why isn't that on the Adolescent Skill Ranks table?  The suggestion would be to add it in :p  It seems like a useful background skill that most cultures in most sci-fi settings (post apocalyptic need not apply) would have at at least 1 rank, some at even up to 3 or 4, I would think.

Laz

I think it got amalgamated into the Scientific Skills entry. And then the 20 skill ranks limit kept hitting me.

It may be that modern/futuristic cultures need 25 rather than 20 skill ranks to ensure that characters have a sufficient basis to live and work in their culture.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 01:20:34 PM »
Just a side note:

Characters are presumed to know basic math to sufficient degree that no skill is required. Any math skill should be for higher math, and this not an adolescent skill....

That is one of the core precepts of HARP (and why there is no math skill in HARP).

Offline lazarus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 01:23:59 PM »
Rasyr: then perhaps the skill description should change.  It states explicitly (at least in 0.1.1) that 1 rank is required for basic math.

Laz

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 01:55:11 PM »
Yes, then perhaps it should. You have to remember, I haven;t had much time to do much more than skim the manuscript so far as I pagemade it.

That is part of the whole reason for having the Beta is to help catch these things beforehand.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 09:25:47 AM »
Not having had a chance to do much with the HARP SF book (haven't even finished reading it yet), I'm just throwing this idea out there as to how this skill could be made more useful.

Make the Mathematics skill a pre-requisite of training packages or even have the skill bonus for Mathematics add to the skill bonus of other related skills.   A person with enhanced mathematics skills may be able to have certain advantages in navigation when two individuals of similar standard ability (stats) and equal training (DP's applied) are compared.   Or in order to take the Navigator's training package (enhancing Navigation and Physics skills) the character must have a bonus of at least +30 in Mathermatics. I prefer emphasizing the bonus required versus the ranks, as it allows a character with greatere aptitude (stat score bonus) to qualify for things with less application of development effort (ranks).

Just a thought.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com