Author Topic: An Eve influence?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline rad42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
An Eve influence?
« on: May 03, 2007, 03:05:30 AM »
I couldn't help but notice that the name given to the proposed setting of HARP-SF of 'Tintamar' is curiously similar to word 'Minmatar'; the name of one of playable races of the game Eve-Online.  Is the author of our newest game an Eve-Online fan?

Just askin ;D

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: An Eve influence?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 03:11:41 AM »
I couldn't help but notice that the name given to the proposed setting of HARP-SF of 'Tintamar' is curiously similar to word 'Minmatar'; the name of one of playable races of the game Eve-Online.  Is the author of our newest game an Eve-Online fan?

Just askin ;D

Never played nor likely to. I spend sufficient time dealing with computers for the day job and writing stuff on computers in my "free" time that I simply avoid the MMORGs like the plague. The name Tintamar was ICE's idea.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:53:38 AM »
And as far as I know, nobody at ICE has ever played Eve-Online either. I don't play MMORPGs, and Bruce and Heike noramally only play WOW and Ultima Online

I don't remember who came up with the name, but it likely me, and if it was me, then I did it the way I normally come up with names like that. I do plays on words changing things slightly or looking up words in a thesaurus and using different languages or such, again playing with the spelling to make it look cooler.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:28:50 AM »
I remember where the name came from now.

I used a random name generator called the Everchanging Book of Names (EBoN) and Tintamar was one of the results that had come out of it.

;D

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 07:46:18 AM »
I love that program.  You have to toss 80% of the names when you're looking for a gem, but it's great.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 08:01:07 AM »
Yup, I normally do a run of 100 and then start cutting, and then start playing with the spelling of the remaining....