Author Topic: Custom Spaceships?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline rad42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Custom Spaceships?
« on: May 07, 2007, 08:15:54 PM »
I'm trying to find a system to make my own ship designs for HARP-SF.  I've been looking at using Star Strike rules or the SM:P rules for ship construction, but neither seem to make a good fit with HARP characters, without some tweaking anyway.  Seems to me that SM:P rules work best with HARP but Star Strike is simpler to use.  I'll figure something out.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if there are any plans to include a system for creating new spaceships, or any vehicles, in HARP-SF or the SysOp's Guide I've read about?

Thanks

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Custom Spaceships?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 09:41:41 PM »
The spaceship creation rules, I believe, are going to be in the SysOps guide.

Offline rad42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:44:58 PM »
The spaceship creation rules, I believe, are going to be in the SysOps guide.

I hope you're right.  Making new ships is one my favorite passtimes when involved in an SF RPG (GM or player)  ;D

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 03:36:32 AM »
Hi,

I once made an Excel sheet for SM:P star ship creation (which is similiar to SM2 I think). And it was a nightmare, as there are so many interdependencies with space, mass and energy.

So please come up with a different system.

What I do now, and this works very well, is simply to decide as a GM hoiw a ship is designed, using some basic guidelines as "if it is smaller than this, it is a corvette and can have up to so many weapon systems,...". This is not quite as "accurate", but saves a lot of time.

BR
Juegren

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 07:23:56 AM »
Starship creation is scheduled for SysOp's Guide. It will not be a very complex system.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline rad42

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 03:21:13 AM »
Hi,

I once made an Excel sheet for SM:P star ship creation (which is similiar to SM2 I think). And it was a nightmare, as there are so many interdependencies with space, mass and energy.

So please come up with a different system.

What I do now, and this works very well, is simply to decide as a GM hoiw a ship is designed, using some basic guidelines as "if it is smaller than this, it is a corvette and can have up to so many weapon systems,...". This is not quite as "accurate", but saves a lot of time.

BR
Juegren

Having made excel sheets for ship design using both SM:P and Star Strike (SM2) I can sympathize. :help:  The SM2 system did not involve mass, so it was much easier to use.  But, ship's capabilities were very much driven by its sublight drive performance.  Combat pilot skill bonus, just as an example, was directly used for the OB/DB split (no roll needed), but limited by the sublight drive rating (as if it were a skill; ie, a sublight drive rating of 10 would be a max bonus of +50).  The skill bonus to split coundn't excede the sublight drive 'bonus'.

The SM:P system was more complex if only for the mass wrinkle.  If you also incorporated the various tech levels from that system into your Excel sheet...then I admire your skills. :o  My sheet was designed for single TL only.

Starship creation is scheduled for SysOp's Guide. It will not be a very complex system.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

A system like in the High Guard book from Traveller would be just fine by me.  ;D

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 03:33:34 AM by rad42 »

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 04:47:41 PM »
 I can see why people want a simple system but on the other hand I really like the detail that went into Traveller 3 Fire Fusion and Steel. But I think it would have been much easier if they gave a lot of stats for predesigned systems for people to plop into ships.
 I still use FFS for designing hand weapons for SM:P.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.