Author Topic: Beta version 4d - Minor Issues (Typos, Comments, ....)  (Read 8765 times)

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Beta version 4d - Minor Issues (Typos, Comments, ....)
« on: June 11, 2007, 03:20:43 AM »
Hi,

First of all I want to say that I am really positively impressed by how serious Nicholas took our feedback - it shows on so many occasions and also details, where something was changed according to our comments on this forum.

Second I really like what I have seen so far from the new manuscript and I think that it has made a huge leap towards release readiness (i.e. Rasyr can start gathering art work  :)).

Third here my comments on the first 5 chapters / 100 pages:

p30: I would integrate the information of the Fusion's category bonuses into the table of the Favored Categories, e.g.with a *.

p41: Radiation Resistance: is the Critical reduced by one step or one size? It is written "step", but I think Criticals have sizes, or?

p58: Air Pilot Helicopters: I would call it Air Pilot Helicopter (i.e. singular and not plural)

p61: Some of the Combat Styles & Maneuvers  that automatically reduce penalties give a bonus after the penalty has been reduced to zero (i.e. Aerial Combat and Zero-G) and some not (e.g. Combat Driving, Mounted Combat, Blindfighting)? In Martial Law also Mounted Combat gives a bonus after the penalty has been reduced to 0 -> What about taking in this case the Martial Law ruling and extending it to Combat Pilot and Blindfighting as well? Then there would be consistency over all styles that use this kind of maneuver resolution...

p65: It is stated that the given Engineering skills are just examples. I would prefer to have a comprehensive list of the Engineering skills with a statement that the SysOp can change them at his discretion. Personally I think the 13 given skills are comprehensive, so no need to add anything, just make it official that these are the ones for Tintamar (and that therefore there is no need for a SysOp to start looking for more ...).

p65/66: First Aid focusses on Bleeding and Stabilization. But also bone setting and pain relief are mentioned -> perhaps add also some more detailed ruling on that?

p66: Would it be possible to get a comprehensive list of the different terrains/environments for which the Foraging/Survival skill must be developed seperately?

p66/67: How does Frenzy work with modern weapons? E.g. it is mentioned that the character moves in a direct line towards the next target -> why should he do that with a gun in his hands? I suggets to put in sone clarification. And just to be sure: a frenzied character with Cyberware option "Stunblocker" can not be brought out of a Frenzy ahead of time?

p67: Modern cannons (as e.g. used in today's tanks): do they belong to Blackpowder Cannons or Modern Direct-fire Systems? Although they use some kind of blackpowder, I think they behave most likely more like Modern Direct-fire System. I suggest a clarification here. Another question is: what skill do I use for dropping bombs from an airplane?

p67: After some thinking about it: what is the benefit of the skill "Horticulture"? There is already Biology and Craft or Vocation: Farmer, ....

p68: I would also state in the Jumping skill that with different gravity all distances have to be divided by the number of g.

p68: As already stated, I would like to see the Language table here instead of in the SysOp chapter. The same applies for the Lore table.

p68: In Machine Operation it is stated that this skill gives a bonus to operating standard machinery. I would have assumed that this skill is used for operating any kind of machinery, the complexity of the machinery then influences the difficulty of the maneuver?

p69: I suggest in Marine Pilot to call the subskill Hydrofoil and not Hydrofoils (see comment on Air Pilot)

p73: Also for Space Pilot I would use the singular for all specializations.

p82: Active Psionic Field is, when assuming alphabetical order for all talents, at the wrong place (should be earlier).

p84: What is the sense of the "and/or" in the description of Extremely Nimble -> in my opinion it should be either "and" or "or", but both confuses me.

p85: The descriptions of the two High Gravity Talents are different - in one you say "stat bonus modifier" and in the other "stat modifier" for AG and PR -> I suggest to have the same description for both.

p87: Shouldn't give Magnetic Sense the same +10 to relevant Maneuvers as Electric Sense? In theory, with Magnetic Sense you should also be able to detect the magnetic fields of electrical currents, or?

BR
Juergen

Offline Lord Damian

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Beta version 4d - Minor Issues (Typos, Comments, ....)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 02:01:07 PM »
p67: Modern cannons (as e.g. used in today's tanks): do they belong to Blackpowder Cannons or Modern Direct-fire Systems? Although they use some kind of blackpowder, I think they behave most likely more like Modern Direct-fire System. I suggest a clarification here. Another question is: what skill do I use for dropping bombs from an airplane?

Actually, modern firearms don't use blackpower at all.  havn't for decades.  Blackpowder firearms arn't even considered guns in america anymore, they're toys.  Modern weapons, cannon included, use Smokeless powder, much more stable and powerful than blackpowder, and yet, easier to ignite.

Lord damian

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 02:25:19 PM »
Many thanks for the comments, some responses so far.

Regarding giving bonuses to Blindfighting etc after penalties have been bought off, I would need to chat to Tim. I didn't come up with those skills so there may be good reason why they don't already permit. Or it may be an oversight.

Regarding the Engineering skills, I've indicated that these are examples only in case I have to bring more into play as a result of playtesting.

I'll look into First Aid for bone-setting etc. It may require some backwards rulings for the fantasy Healing skill.

The Foraging/Survival list would need to be thought up - anyone who wants to make a start on it, please do so.

Frenzy expects melee combat in the fantasy mode. I'll have to think about that for guns. It might be as simple as shoot everything that moves.

Modern Cannon (tank cannon, say) should be Direct-fire. Blackpowder Cannon means antique cannons. Dropping bombs is a good one - the closest is probably Missile as the damage inflicted is independent of the aiming (in the grenade sense).

Horticulture is an Outdoorsy skill in the fantasy rules set, we keep it for those Tattooine moisture farmers. Craft is archaic technical, Vocation is best suited to modern "whitecollar"/professional careers.

Language and Lore may yet be flipped out of SysOp's Guidelines.

With Machine Operation, I'm leaving an opening in case one of the restraints on prototype equipment rules is that Machine Operation won't cut it. Maybe it will but with heavy penalties. Have to write those rules yet.

Ask Tim about Extremely Nimble.

With regard to Magnetic and Electric Sense, the two can be quite different, see the recent BBC news story on wireless power (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6725955.stm)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 03:35:47 AM »
Hi,

Here my comments on chapters 6&7/p.101-147:

p105/115: There is no Blaster Rifle / Hunting Blaster.

p105 - 107: The blast radii of the Blasters are nowhere explicitely mentioned. One can deduct that it is Mk#*2/Mk#*3, but "Grenades" is unspecific -> I suggest to say "like a Fragmentation or Concussion Grenade".

p105 - 107: Incindary/Fire/Phosphor/.. Grenades are missing, i.e. the ones you use to start a nice fire. Also including Molotow Coktails would give a nice touch...

p105 - 107/116: Would it be possible to include a table with all the Blast Boni, Blast radii, Attack size and effect of all the different grenades and blasters? I think the table on p116 is a little bit misleading, as it states Tiny Impact for several grenades while this is just one (and not even the most important) effect. I have generated such a table for myself and already sent it to Nicholas.

p106: The Assault Laser is out of the alphabetical order

p107: What is the purpose of the Secondary Blast Radius of the Pulse Grenade? The Tiny Impact is only in the Primary Blast Radius and there are no bonuses for the CRRs given for the Primary and Secondary Blast Radii.

p107/115: The penalties for firing Support Laser/Blaster behave like the Recoil Penalty for MGs -> I would call it Recoil Penalty, put the corresponding numbers into the table on p115 and make the description for all 3 Support weapons the same. I know its not recoil, but the rule mechanis is the same.

p107: Why are there no Support versions of Stunner, Flamer, Electrorifle, Grenade Launcher (portable machine launchers exist)?

p107: Never heard or seen about the Flash Suppressor in real life, perhaps is was already part of the weapons I used. And I never had problems firing either in daylight or at night several rounds in rapid order -> is this really a necessary part of equipment for modern weapons?

p108: Is the Weapon Scope cummulative to Telescopic Eyes when it comes to RIs for Sniping? And the 20 reduction are from the total of the penalties accrued from RIs, or? The way it is written it may be understood that it is per RI (which doesn't makew sense, but anyway).

p108/109: In contrary to the Weapon Cell, the number of shots for Blaster Powerpacks and Plasmapacks does not change for Early and Advanced technology -> on purpose?

p108/109: Alphabetical order is not kept for Energy/Ammunition.

p109: Does this mean the Microfusion Generator can supply 100000 energy units in total or he can run up to 10 hours and each hour one can draw 10000 eus (and if they are not drawn, they are lost)?

p109/110/113: What are the ranges for scanners, especially bioscanner and electronic surveillance detector? 20m for a tactical scanner seems to me quite low. Perhaps 20m in buildings, 200m otherwise (or 100 or...)?

p110: Are 100km range for a personal communicator and radio communicator not a bit much? I just try to imagine the required power output, besides the problem that at least on Earth the horizon drops after 20km... -> what about 10 km?

p113: What about a Chamouflage Suit like sheet for cars/tents...? I am also missing simple camouflage nets, which you can put on yourself or vehicles,... to change your silhouette and to attach grass, branches,....

p113: I suggest to add also in Stealth Gear the used skills.

p113/114: I am missing a GPS like system in the Survival Gear. I assume any advanced planet has something like that, as it is extremely convenient.

p114: What about camping tables, chairs, a portable shower, a tool kit with saw, hammer,...?

p131: What about making the simplification simpler: between 20 rounds or 1 turn per 1 million km between 1 and 10 million km, depending on starship headings?

p142: Would it make sense to rename the Particle Beam Cannon to Blaster Cannon, so that there is consistency between vehicle and personnel weapons?

p142: TO avoid confusion, I would suggest to say that normal energy consumption is for 50% of maximum load. Above 50% add 50% of the normal energy rate. I.e. use a percentage ruling similar to speed.

p142: Woult it make sense also for standard missile to mention the man-portable version like for SAMs?

BR
Juergen
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:08:59 AM by Mungo »

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 03:05:33 PM »
Hi,

Chapter 8/p148-183:

p159: For drugs, is the -10/day penalty to all actions in case of withdrawal also applied to the Will RR to break the additction? It is not clear to me from the text.

p160: The alien Lagrange drive example is one of the Engineering situations where I would like to have 1 maneuver roll instead of 3 ....

p166: Active sensing is limited, to very close range, with automated sensor arrays to "a few lighseconds". Would it make sense to be more precise and limit it for normal sensors to "Short Range", beyond only with automated arrays, and then only for 5xShort Range or something like that?

p169: In Limited Visibility section there are sometimes missile weapons mentioned. Shouldn't that include modern ranged as well?

p169: Heavy fog has visibility 3m, but in my notes is 5m, which would also be more consistent with light and moderate fog -> 5m correct?

p169: Gun Flashes: is this realistic / doesn't every modern weapon have a flash suppressor automatically?

p173: I would put the ffects of gravity on encumbrance to where encumbrance is first mentioned and not here.

p173: I would give the calculation of terminal velocity also as mathematical formula, not only as text.

p174: How often must the CRR be made in radiation? Once, as all cumulative damage is factored in the tables, or every day/week/...?

p175: Explosive Decompression: it is stated that you make a Zero-g Maneuver -> I think with the new ruling for Zero-g Maneuvering this must be adapted?

p175: Explosive Decompression: d100 attack rolls for each character -> this sounds like quite a roll-festival, I would suggest perhaps a simpler ruling (tiny attack, damage multiplied by d100?).

p175: Explosive Decompression: point 5: the Stamina CRR must only be made without breathing apparatus, or? If no, then does make the +50 for exhaling sense?

p176: Low pressure 0.5atu - 0.66atu: the way it is written the character becomes euphoric no matter what. But I think he only becomes euphoric in case he fails his Stamina CRR, or?

p176: High pressure: would it make sense to make the human examples a general ruling for all species: i.e. 2 x normal atu without breathing apparatus, 7 x normal atu with breathing apparatus and above only with environmental suit? It would simplify things...

p179/180: I still would like to see a ruling for characters to panic (not only for quicksand but in general). What about making a Will RR(100) whenever the character is in a mortally dangerous situation he has never encountered before, RR(75) if he has?

p180: Starvation: the penalty is not applied to the RR, or? I know I have asked this before, but I always wonder again when I read this -> include a clarification?

p181/182: In my notes I found a statement that characters heal naturally 1 point of stat damage per full day of rest. I didn't find this in the section on natural healing. If this ruling exists in this way, I would include it also here...

BR
Juergen

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »
Further to my earlier comments, Blindfighting is as it is because it is regaining a character's ability to achieve something. Mounted Combat et al are about using new capabilities. Combat Driving now follows the latter paradigm.

Some random responses on equipment -
I'm not convinced of the military utility of Support versions of Sonic Stunners and Electrostunners. Their aim is to incapacitate, not kill, but weapons with Huge attack sizes increase the chance of the fatal 120 result. For the others, they aren't adding anything really new. Incendiary grenades would be new, howitzers as representative indirect-fire weapons would be new. There are also some additional general equipment rules I must add and they take priority.

Flash Suppressors are real - they may have been prefitted to your weapons.

With regard to personal communicators, mobile/cell phones have a max range of 35km using current technology, though 10-20km would be more sensible. Radios, depending upon band used for sending, can be easily one hundred miles. Then of course there are satellite phones which really do send a signal up to a satellite in geosynchronous orbit, although they have all the compactness of a house brick.

best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 04:37:33 PM »
Hi,

Chapter 10/p184-242:

p185: Initiative table:I would combine all actions that belong together and take the same time. E.g. Attack (Melee/Missile/Ranged): 1, Mount/Dismount: 1, ....

p189: To me there is quite an overlap with the equipment chapter -> combine it?

p193: Careful Aim, first sentence: it is stated twice that the -5 reduction is per round (at the beginning and at the end).

p193: Combat Crawl. Is BMR not too fast? Also in the description of BMR there is a maximum time given per pace. I would also here introduce one, as it is quite exhaustive (don't want players running around in Combat Crawl for days...).

p193: Delay Action: how does this work with the initiative system? I.e. the character must normally declare his action before his initiative is rolled. So I guess that at that time he formulates actions based on conditions (if the thief grabs for his gun, then... otherwise...). If his initiative is higher than the thiefs, then hi can delay his action and moves before the thief. If it is lower, than he must take the action according to his "if" condition and the thief is first. Correct?
In my notes I found the following description of something similar than this combat maneuver: "Players can delay an action, i.e. they can wait until a trigger event occurs and then take their action before anybody else (given the character?s Initiative is high enough). If the trigger does not come, the character loses his action. " Is this also the correct understanding?

p193: Delay Action: Mixture of singular and plural?

p193: Disarm Foe: the sentence starting with "Of the foe wields a firearm.." confuses me and I don't quite understand what is meant. Should this mean that he can not add his weapon's skill bonus to the RR?

p194/195: Multiple Parry: why the change from open-ended to 99/100 for an unintentional attack? Shouldn't this be consistent with HARP? Or are my notes wrong?

p195: Parry: to be consistent with Full Parry, shouldn't it be stated that the defender must be unarmed or needs a melee weapon?

p195: Spread Burst/Suppression Fire: why is it explicitely stated that this Combat Action takes a full round? It is an attack, so it anyway takes a full round, or?

p202-223: I would move all these tables into the appendix. Here they are difficult to access during game and disrupt the flow of reading.

p227: I would also state here that decoy ca

p227/231: I would give those support maneuvers names (i.e. I have given them names in my notes): Deploy Decoy, Dodge Missile, Electronic Warfare, Jam Missiles, Offensive/Defensife Flying, Repair/Boost System, Strengthen Shields.

p227/231: I would give those combat maneuvers names (i.e. I have given them names in my notes): Fire Cannon, Launch Missile, Point Defense.

p232: For all rulings that involve "one more missile gone for every 20 above...": Why 100/120/140/... in the examples, shouldn't it be 101/121/141/...?

BR
Juergen

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
p109: Does this mean the Microfusion Generator can supply 100000 energy units in total or he can run up to 10 hours and each hour one can draw 10000 eus (and if they are not drawn, they are lost)?

Total, but at a maximum rate of 10,000 eu per hour

p114: What about camping tables, chairs, a portable shower, a tool kit with saw, hammer,...?

Tools already in.

p131: What about making the simplification simpler: between 20 rounds or 1 turn per 1 million km between 1 and 10 million km, depending on starship headings?

No, because the example in the rules is for 7% of lightspeed. Go slower and the number of turns increases.

p142: Would it make sense to rename the Particle Beam Cannon to Blaster Cannon, so that there is consistency between vehicle and personnel weapons?

No, because it uses different technological principles. Particle Beam Cannon is the ion cannon you've been requesting.

p142: Woult it make sense also for standard missile to mention the man-portable version like for SAMs?

No, because the tankbuster missile has a much shorter range.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 10:52:31 AM »
p159: For drugs, is the -10/day penalty to all actions in case of withdrawal also applied to the Will RR to break the additction? It is not clear to me from the text.

RRs aren't actions. I will explicitly state that.

p166: Active sensing is limited, to very close range, with automated sensor arrays to "a few lighseconds". Would it make sense to be more precise and limit it for normal sensors to "Short Range", beyond only with automated arrays, and then only for 5xShort Range or something like that?

No. Shipboard sensors can be active and passive. I'm not going to be pinned down regarding which sensors are active and which are passive.

p173: I would put the ffects of gravity on encumbrance to where encumbrance is first mentioned and not here.

No, because it would muddle the description there.

p175: Explosive Decompression: d100 attack rolls for each character -> this sounds like quite a roll-festival, I would suggest perhaps a simpler ruling (tiny attack, damage multiplied by d100?).

That's a misreading of the text; I mean the SysOp makes one attack roll (d100 open-ended, no OB bonus), not d100 rolls. I'll reorder.

p175: Explosive Decompression: point 5: the Stamina CRR must only be made without breathing apparatus, or? If no, then does make the +50 for exhaling sense?

It's only if you do not have breathing apparatus.

p180: Starvation: the penalty is not applied to the RR, or? I know I have asked this before, but I always wonder again when I read this -> include a clarification?

RRs are not actions.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »
p169: Heavy fog has visibility 3m, but in my notes is 5m, which would also be more consistent with light and moderate fog -> 5m correct?

The Imperial values are 50 feet, 25 feet, and 10 feet. The moderate fog conversion was too generous.

p179/180: I still would like to see a ruling for characters to panic (not only for quicksand but in general). What about making a Will RR(100) whenever the character is in a mortally dangerous situation he has never encountered before, RR(75) if he has?

No. I've consulted with Tim and we both feel that an official ruling of this kind is not in keeping with the philosophy and spirit of the game.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline SnowDog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 03:31:58 AM »
I have had no time to really sink into the document (it's slow reading from the screen). So far I have liked what I have read, especially about Tintamar setting. Good basic setting where it is pretty easy to run games with very different tones. Example worlds had about as much info as I wanted (apart from maps, which would have been nice but I am used to making my own).

I hope there will be some sort of starmap/jumpmap in the final version.

One thing I noticed is that in page 6 it said that Human Sector is about 50 LY radius and in page 8 it has grown to about 90 LY. So is the 90 LY current radius and the 50 LY was the initial radius during/after Second Genesis or is it a typo?
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 02:51:48 AM »
I hope there will be some sort of starmap/jumpmap in the final version.

I intend to produce partial maps at least at this point.

One thing I noticed is that in page 6 it said that Human Sector is about 50 LY radius and in page 8 it has grown to about 90 LY. So is the 90 LY current radius and the 50 LY was the initial radius during/after Second Genesis or is it a typo?

The bulk of human colonisation is in the 50-ly sphere but there are more scattered colonies in a larger sphere reaching Tantallon at 90 ly. Good catch.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 04:08:19 PM »
p185: Initiative table:I would combine all actions that belong together and take the same time. E.g. Attack (Melee/Missile/Ranged): 1, Mount/Dismount: 1, ....

That's a Tim decision.

p189: To me there is quite an overlap with the equipment chapter -> combine it?

No, equipment chapter is for all equipment. mentions in combat chapter are to support combat.

p193: Careful Aim, first sentence: it is stated twice that the -5 reduction is per round (at the beginning and at the end).

belt 'n braces. Rephrased.

p193: Combat Crawl. Is BMR not too fast? Also in the description of BMR there is a maximum time given per pace. I would also here introduce one, as it is quite exhaustive (don't want players running around in Combat Crawl for days...).

Reduced to half BMR, tires user at Run pace.

p193: Delay Action: how does this work with the initiative system? I.e. the character must normally declare his action before his initiative is rolled. So I guess that at that time he formulates actions based on conditions (if the thief grabs for his gun, then... otherwise...). If his initiative is higher than the thiefs, then hi can delay his action and moves before the thief. If it is lower, than he must take the action according to his "if" condition and the thief is first. Correct?
In my notes I found the following description of something similar than this combat maneuver: "Players can delay an action, i.e. they can wait until a trigger event occurs and then take their action before anybody else (given the character?s Initiative is high enough). If the trigger does not come, the character loses his action. " Is this also the correct understanding?

Something like that. I'm being deliberately open so as to allow for other looser interpretations of initiative and declaring actions.

p193: Delay Action: Mixture of singular and plural?

p193: Disarm Foe: the sentence starting with "Of the foe wields a firearm.." confuses me and I don't quite understand what is meant. Should this mean that he can not add his weapon's skill bonus to the RR?

Yes. And clarified.

p194/195: Multiple Parry: why the change from open-ended to 99/100 for an unintentional attack? Shouldn't this be consistent with HARP? Or are my notes wrong?

Your notes are in error according to Martial Law.

p195: Parry: to be consistent with Full Parry, shouldn't it be stated that the defender must be unarmed or needs a melee weapon?

Probably.

p195: Spread Burst/Suppression Fire: why is it explicitely stated that this Combat Action takes a full round? It is an attack, so it anyway takes a full round, or?

Belt and braces approach.

p202-223: I would move all these tables into the appendix. Here they are difficult to access during game and disrupt the flow of reading.

Putting important tables in appendices was deemed a presentation/layout disaster for RMSS etc by ICE. So not likely to be recur.

p227: I would also state here that decoy ca

?

p232: For all rulings that involve "one more missile gone for every 20 above...": Why 100/120/140/... in the examples, shouldn't it be 101/121/141/...?

Error Carried Forward. Rectified here and in original source of pattern.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »
Hi,

Chapters 10&11/p243-286:

p258: Talent list not in alphabetical order (Scholar).

p274: Olfactory Processor not in alphabetical order.

p274: Sense Processor: it is stated that an Exotic Sense is boosted, but then Sonar is given as an example which is not an Exotic Sense but its own Talent -> I would rephrase it and explicitely state which Senses are affected.

p275: Translators: as far as I understand, themaximum number of Translators is 1(E)/2(M)/4(A). The way it is written it could be understood that this applies seperately for the "Spoken" and "Written" option of the Translator. I would clarify this or - better - combine these options in one description, as they are nearly identical.

p275: Voice Emulator: cost is 1000 per pattern -> I would state this also in the cost

p278: Critical conversion table: Blaster is missing

BR
Juergen

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 08:32:05 AM »
Hi,

Chapters 10&11/p243-286:
p275: Translators: as far as I understand, themaximum number of Translators is 1(E)/2(M)/4(A). The way it is written it could be understood that this applies seperately for the "Spoken" and "Written" option of the Translator. I would clarify this or - better - combine these options in one description, as they are nearly identical.

It was intended to apply separately. Now clarified in both relevant locations.

All other catches for these chapters fixed.

best wishes,
Nicholas
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 06:25:23 AM by NicholasHMCaldwell »
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »
Hi,

Chapter 12/p287-309:

p290: Durations and Concentration: "Medium All-or-nothing ..." instead of "All-or-nothing Medium...", or?

p291: Fumbles: you state under each Psi Discipline Type the modifiers for all Discipline Types (+20,+10, 0). I suggest to mention only the applicable one.

p293: When reading "Resisting Psionics" I wondered whether special motions or words can give modifiers to Psi Disciplines? Perhaps they help focussing the Psionics mind? Example: this Jedi hand motion of "You let me pass and remember nothing".

p299: Energy Dispersal: I would clarify that Lasers and Blaster are not Energy Bolts.

p304: Telekinesis: it is not clear to me how I make an attack and suggest including an example. I wondered e.g. whether I have to combine Hurled Attack and Velocity. I.e. with Tier 1 in Velocity and 5 ranks, can I only attack a target every round if there is something to hurl within 5 m? Or is it either Hurled Attack or Velocity, but not both at the same time?

p305: Telekinetic Hand: to crush a windpipe - what Tier do I need for mass? The mass of the target character most likely, or?

BR
Juergen
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 03:08:14 PM by Mungo »

Offline SnowDog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 02:49:13 PM »
It's good to know that there will be a starmap. Thanks for the clarification about the size of Human Sector.
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 02:59:15 AM »
Hi,

Chapter 13/p310-320:

- Master NPC Tables are not inserted (or did I miss them?).

Overall Feedback/Comments:

- I have NOT read the 4d manuscript word by word, just focussed on things that are or seemed new or are otherwise very important to me. Pls. take this into account when considering my feedback.
- If you change/add the stuff that was discussed or announced as planned in the various threads, then in my opinion the product is finished. Already now the overall quality is really excellent.
- If possible, I would like to see 4e as the final version from a content point of view. I.e. any important changes in between (Engineering, Survival, changed Vehicle Table,...) I would like to have posted on the forum or put into the download section as a seperate file.
- In my opinion ICE could start right away gathering artwork and preparing the final release. This will take most likely much longer than Nicholas needs to make the final changes.
- Nicholas: I would be interested to get your feedback on how you perceived/feel about this beta testing so far. You changed the manuscript quite a lot in the last few months...

BR
Juergen

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 02:47:02 PM »

p290: Durations and Concentration: "Medium All-or-nothing ..." instead of "All-or-nothing Medium...", or?

p291: Fumbles: you state under each Psi Discipline Type the modifiers for all Discipline Types (+20,+10, 0). I suggest to mention only the applicable one.

Both tweaked.

p293: When reading "Resisting Psionics" I wondered whether special motions or words can give modifiers to Psi Disciplines? Perhaps they help focussing the Psionics mind? Example: this Jedi hand motion of "You let me pass and remember nothing".

The Adepts and Fusion get sufficient bonuses as is.

p299: Energy Dispersal: I would clarify that Lasers and Blaster are not Energy Bolts.

True, added. Blasters have also been added to Kinetic Field and Pyrokinetic Field.

p304: Telekinesis: it is not clear to me how I make an attack and suggest including an example. I wondered e.g. whether I have to combine Hurled Attack and Velocity. I.e. with Tier 1 in Velocity and 5 ranks, can I only attack a target every round if there is something to hurl within 5 m? Or is it either Hurled Attack or Velocity, but not both at the same time?

Hurled Attack is sufficient. Description clarified to make that note, also to note need for something to throw!

p305: Telekinetic Hand: to crush a windpipe - what Tier do I need for mass? The mass of the target character most likely, or?

That's a good idea. Added.

I'm also very probably going to reduce the bonuses from:
Electrokinesis: Energy Dispersal
ESP: Precog Attack, Defense, Maneuvering
Telekinesis:  Cryokinetic Field, Kinetic Field, Pyrokinetic Field
Telepathy: Defense

as I've become concerned that they are too high relative to equipment bonuses and other things that have since stabilised.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 03:19:21 PM »
Hi,

Chapter 13/p310-320:

- Master NPC Tables are not inserted (or did I miss them?).

Deliberately not inserted. The intention is that Tim gets them in clean state and he can put them into the final ICE style template/layout safely.

- I have NOT read the 4d manuscript word by word, just focussed on things that are or seemed new or are otherwise very important to me. Pls. take this into account when considering my feedback.

I assume that folk will concentrate on areas that interest them, so that's not a problem.

- If possible, I would like to see 4e as the final version from a content point of view. I.e. any important changes in between (Engineering, Survival, changed Vehicle Table,...) I would like to have posted on the forum or put into the download section as a seperate file.

I was planning on releasing a version 4e before disappearing off to work on the vehicle construction ruleset. I could produce a 4e version and a shorter pdf of extracted pages where significant changes have occurred.

- Nicholas: I would be interested to get your feedback on how you perceived/feel about this beta testing so far. You changed the manuscript quite a lot in the last few months...

I'm very pleased with it. We've caught some silliness, headed off some problems before they got into   a printed version, added stuff that people really needed, and so forth. It's not over yet as I'm still "listening" for any issues arising from games and I've those vehicle construction rules to resolve.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell