Author Topic: The Shadow World Mapping Project  (Read 8897 times)

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
The Shadow World Mapping Project
« on: February 28, 2008, 04:22:37 PM »
Over a year ago I bought Campaign Cartographer 3 and a drawing tablet and started on a rather lofty project.    Unfortunately it got pushed to the side before I could complete much but I had managed to complete a base Emer file.

My idea here is to put any existing geographical info on Shadow World into CC maps.   There would be the underlying land layer with additional layers for cities, kingdoms, populations, essence flows, feature names, etc.    All the various maps from the source books would be recreated in Campaign Cartographer which could then be used to display the different types of information desired.    Basically it's a Shadow World GIS.

So I decided to start with Emer, and the first thing obviously that's needed is to create the landform at a high level of detail.   The main problem was that there didn't exist any high resolution single map of Emer so I had to make do with all the various pieces.   I got the NE Emer map as a single file, as well as all the pieces from NW Emer.  However for all of souther Emer all I had was the main Emer map with which we are all familiar with.

What I quickly found out was that the maps didn't exactly match up.  In the second attachment below you see the main Emer map in the background with the high res NE Emer map overlayed.   You can see the maps don't exactly match up, there is a significant rotation in the picture, as well as higher order differences (varies across the image).  What I ended up doing was breaking up even the NE Emer picture into smaller images and then manually fit each one to the base Emer map. The same was true for NW Emer.    You can see what I ended up with in the third attachment below.

Once I assembled that I began the process of tracing the coast to create the Emer you see below.    You can download a high-res JPEG of it here:
http://www.vroomfogle.com/misc/maps/Emer_large.jpg
or the actual CC3 file here:
http://www.vroomfogle.com/misc/maps/Emer.fcw

While I don't have much time in the next few months to work on this I would like to get back to it.    The first step I think is how to decide how the maps should look and create a style for them accordingly.  As I'm still learning CC I think this will take the longest.    Then, it's a matter of creating all the various layers of data starting with the obvious things such as rivers and mountains.

I'd be interested if someone could check the scale on my Emer map and also check the coastlines in the high res image...are there any mistakes you can find?

Anyone other SW fans out there have Campaign Cartographer?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The Shadow World Mapping Project
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:01:14 PM »
I do but I don't know how to use it well. I still generally go back to hand drawn - I'm pretty-good at those.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 03:45:55 AM »
Interesting :)
I don't know if I can help, really. I'll have a look at the scales.
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:13:10 AM »
Idea point for you Vroom. It will be a fabolous tool.

Sorry but i don't know how to help...

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:46:28 AM »
Excellent work.  Being able to trace existing maps is probably a huge help.

I got really frustrated with CC3 after taking a few days just to make a greek field, brown path and sprinkle some trees around.  Or maybe I maybe I am too much a perfectionist for such things. 

I have recently been trying to deconstruct some of Defendi's EoH smaller scale maps to see how he did it so I can be efficient in the size of map I chose.  I am not brave enough to do the same thing with the Belkanath world map that abviously took many hours to do.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Wrathchild

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »
Veeery promising - I really hope you find the time and help ;)

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:02:22 AM »
I'm a new Shadow World fan that have just started of a campaign in Shadow World in Verya on the continent of Kelestia.

I just got started on an "unofficial" map of that region with CC3 since I couldn't find any official material for that continent except of what is found in the Master Atlas.

Don't know how much help I can be since I'm a new CC3 user and still learning the program. Only got the basics so far but discovers new functions every day. But I'll gladly help in the capacity I can.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 05:10:16 AM »
I'm a new Shadow World fan that have just started of a campaign in Shadow World in Verya on the continent of Kelestia.

I just got started on an "unofficial" map of that region with CC3 since I couldn't find any official material for that continent except of what is found in the Master Atlas.

Don't know how much help I can be since I'm a new CC3 user and still learning the program. Only got the basics so far but discovers new functions every day. But I'll gladly help in the capacity I can.

We are always interested in new material ;)
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 07:33:46 AM »
We are always interested in new material ;)

I'll see what I can do, so far I have only mapped a very small part of Verya but more is planned as the campaign progresses. Might even throw in some adventure ideas I have used and are planning to use for my campaign. I'll see when it's done if I can upload it or hand it over to Terry or Vroom to do with as they please. But can't promise at what time I'll be done since it's still work in progress and the campaign has just started. But as the campaign progresses I'll add new material.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »
Ahh well never thought the day would come. I am done with a basic unoffial CC3 map of Verya containing most settlements and larger terrain features. Now I just need a place to put it and was wondering if anyone are willing to put it up on their space for others to enjoy and give me feedback. Including a basic excelsheet containing the demographics information for Verya.

I'm almost done with a simple adventure outline in three parts with a couple of belonging DD/CD maps but it still needs some work so date on those are still unknown.

So anyone interested?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:15:49 PM by Chorpa »

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 03:15:39 PM »
What/where is Verya ?

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 03:18:35 PM »
Yes. It's on the southern part of Kelestia.
You can find the notes on the region in SWMA4. on page 101. Basicly a heavily forested region with a Y'nari and Erlini population.

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 04:47:57 PM »
I'll host it, I've just got to spend some time carving out an Atlas section on the website.   E-mail it to me at vroomfogle at vroomfogle.com

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »
Will do!

I'll gather the map and info together in a zip and send it and add a word document explaining the Demographics data and some other stuff.

Feel free to examine it and give feedback or even change things ye don't like.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
Hey, Vroom!  Any word on how the Mapping Project is proceeding?

BTW...I think the Emer Continental Map on the back cover of "Emer 2" would be a good place to start.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »
It hasn't progressed at all.   Too many projects right now, and I need to make some time to actually play!

Offline Frunobulax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 12:27:02 PM »
It hasn't progressed at all.   Too many projects right now, and I need to make some time to actually play!

Sorry to hear that, but I know how it is.  I wish you might consider restarting the project.  I love CC and it would be super to have some of the Shadow World maps!

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »
I would actually throw abit money after this.. maybe make it a fond raiser :D
Just to get a small amount of money for the effort!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Frunobulax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 05:05:21 PM »
I would actually throw abit money after this.. maybe make it a fond raiser :D
Just to get a small amount of money for the effort!

Agreed!  I would do it too!  You could get IC to sell it and maybe make a little beer money...

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/images/faerunlarge.jpg

Like this map!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)