Author Topic: A Darker Cyradon & Gryphon World  (Read 8233 times)

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
A Darker Cyradon & Gryphon World
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:54:57 PM »
I love fantasy games that have a little horror and disturbing stuff thrown in the mix to make the player's skin crawl a little.  The real feeling of dread and fear is hard to pull off in a RPG, but it is awesome when it actually happens.

I would like to see a more darker side to any new Gryphon World setting books. 

If a Belynar book comes out, that would be a good place to start.  That is a big volcano, that in my mind, is filled with all sorts of abominations and horrible things that should not be...  Nameless things, distorted and driven mad by the passage of time, and perhaps unkempt magic that sunk into their unwholesome forms.

So, more dark creepy crap would be nice.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: A Darker Cyradon & Gryphon World
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:39:22 AM »
I'll second that! Dark and creepy is great element for any game! :)
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 02:32:08 AM »
 I think it might be easy to do. As you would just have to change the basic feel a little bit. While I was waiting for GW I did run a campaign where people just appeared and they had to repopulate the area. There were of course other big bad things out there that were trying to also gain a foothold in the new place. Undead, evil elves, orcs, dragons etc. All/most had a leader or group of leaders and a plan to help there group gain in strength so they could wipe out the other groups. Or they formed pacts to protect each other if specific groups attacked them.
 It was very fun and had strait forward goals. Find food, shelter and proect your own. And if it was possible take out thoes groups who opposed you or cause you harm.

MDC     
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 07:19:34 AM »
Personally I think the colliseum outside of Belynar would be the ideal place for a scary adventure/campaign.
Lots of RR versus Will and Magic.

Of course I'd probably use the Options Harpers Bazaar Fear rules in it for the extra fear factor...
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
You are right, in that there are some things that can be made darker, I guess I was just meaning for new books to have more of an edge to them would be nice.

Exploring the remains of a dead city, with lots of desolation and unsolved riddles, is kind of creepy in it's own right.  Like those end of the world movies like 28 Days Later where he is walking through a city block, and nothing is moving...

In my campaign I had less arrivals, and the Ritual of Awakening I did not use.  I like desolate, and inhospitable, and a place they want to get away from... but can't for the most part.

It sounds like I'm not alone in wanting a little creep factor in future Cyradon/Gryphon World books.  :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »
 I hear your points but from my understanding the main product is aimed at all levels of fans, From the young to the old.[Like me] And in my experience the more gritty campain stuff is generally for 16-17+ groups. But in no way does that hinder anyone IMO from changing their game.

I think you could have a good thread here or maybe a fan site devoted to darking up the game.

Some of the things I think you could do are as follows:
1) Not as much trust amoung races
2) reguler raids by outside groups
3) The desolation fluxuates from good to bad in the areas it says are healing.
4) plots that incorperate big bad things happening to groups. Posession, deamons, devils, etc allways something going on so as to promote tension amoung the groups. Have groups think they are doing good but are actually doing things that make stuff worse.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:04:54 PM »
I had a feeling that they want the setting to be for everyone.  I also heard a rumor that the original Cyradon was a little darker, and they toned it down a bit.  But I could be wrong on that point.  Rumors are rumors after all.

I like all of the points you made, and think they would all do to help block out some of the brightness, hehe.

I just see utter evil in the base of the mountain that is slowly bubbling up to the surface.  I like the idea that perhaps some of the Royal Roads lead to some darn right messed up places, and when they began to work again, some of these doorways that should have been sealed up for good, perhaps, opened up, letting in all sorts of nastiness to twist and distort the already twisted and distorted beings living beneath the ruined city of Belynar.

I guess what I want is the way that the World of Darkness line describes their setting, as normal, but just a bit darker in almost every way conceivable.  I want my version of Gryphon World to be like that, darker than what is actually published.

In my game I have the Schirae Elves doing all sorts of wicked things to normal elven children, turning them into monstrosities with a blend of arcane curses, and an artifact drilled into the backs of their necks and heads.  They kidnap the kids, and adults to practice on.  Those that have survived, or escaped, tell dark tales, if they can speak at all...

:)

On Cairnus Island north of Cyradon, I have the puppet government taking a "blood tax" on the populace.  Chosen by lots, random people are taken prisoner to give their life up for their rulers.  Non are sure what they are used for exactly, or what they need that much blood for, but let's just say, it isn't pretty...  I took what was written about Cairnus Island in the Cyradon book, and multiplied it by about a factor of 100.  hehe.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:44:45 PM »
SamwiseSeven -- you really ought to purchase the Cyradon Gazetteer. It will give you the truth about what is going on on Cairnus. (The Gazetteer is more of a GM's product, filling in details, especially things that players wouldn't know...)

As for Cyradon being a darker place. There never was a darker version. There was the unfinished version which had to be redone almost from scratch because ICE felt that it was too similar to something else.

The current version is the way that ICE wants it. It is also the way that future products for it will be. Sorry, but we won't be turning it into a horror setting.

However, it does have the potential for you to run it that way if you like. ICE was very careful to allow for all sorts of campaign styles and gaming styles with very little changes by the GM.

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 11:48:34 PM »
It would be nice to see a world for HARP that was good and dark, perhaps in the way of Ravenloft, Midnight or something similar. If not any place in Cyradon, then I'd love to see it in something new...  ;)
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 12:07:20 AM »
Sorry, but don't be expecting ICE to do any "dark" worlds.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »
It would be nice to see a world for HARP that was good and dark, perhaps in the way of Ravenloft, Midnight or something similar. If not any place in Cyradon, then I'd love to see it in something new...  ;)

Maybe you should have a look at the Echoes of Heaven setting. It could be that it fits in what you are looking for.
And no, I wouldn't like if ICE would create a totally new setting, now - maybe in a few years when ICE has more than 50 full time writers for it ;D So far I would prefer if there will be more source material for Cyradon.

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 02:57:31 AM »
Sorry, but don't be expecting ICE to do any "dark" worlds.

Oh, I definitely don't expect it at all. It would be nice, but I'm happy using other settings with HARP rules.

I must say that the best RPG book that I have ever read about horror is Nightmares of Mine. That is a top notch ICE book, and I recommend it to anyone that is looking to run a horror game and needs advice. I know that was a little off topic...

Maybe you should have a look at the Echoes of Heaven setting. It could be that it fits in what you are looking for.
And no, I wouldn't like if ICE would create a totally new setting, now - maybe in a few years when ICE has more than 50 full time writers for it ;D So far I would prefer if there will be more source material for Cyradon.

That would be fantastic if ICE had that many full time writers! lol Echoes of Heaven is very well written, but not exactly my style. A bit too much religion involved. It does have some great ideas though, and the beastiary is a fantastic addition to any GM's creature arsenal!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »
 I think I might be the king of using other systems stuff for my game. [But I will gladly pass the crown to another] When I ran RuneQuest I used Cthulu, D&D, WoD [Vampire], GURPs and Traveller stuff when I switched to RMSS&SM:P I use WOD[Vamp, Werewolf and other Were stuff], Traveller 3/4/2300, some D&D, James Bond, Cuthulu 1920's/Now/Austrailia/GURPs and Ares Magica.
 I think my main point is [do not stair at my head] that you can use anything with almost any system. Bend it till it fits, push it until it is in place and allways use some force. Because if it is not a great fit the players are not going to be expecting it. You do not have to get too far out there but just use a little of everything or a little of a specific thing and IMO you game will be better.

BTW, There seems to be quite a few of you so why not open a setting thread or just keep this open where you exchange thoughts and ideas. As long as your players do not get wind of it you are fine and if they do you coudl allways move the thread to the home brew setting section under a false name so they will not know anything about it.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »
Actually you could use the Necropolis in Cyradon for a "dark feel" a city of the dead? - Need I say more!  ;D

You want more dangerous and deadly stuff than that in Cyradon? Are you CRAZY!! I'm NEVER playing with YOU as GM!!!!  :o

Seriously though you can always use HARP as is and just introduce House Rules to handle fear and horror (a horror table?).
I vaguely remember seeing a system with 'Points' for horror - you see a demon you get X horror points. TCome into its Aura of Fear Radius and automatically get X more, X times 2 or 3 if you fail the roll. There is only a certain amount of time before you go crazy and kill yourselfor other people with the horros you've seen. Nothing to stop you making your own Horror rules and putting it in the Vault for others to use....

In fact it might be a cool idea to help expand other peoples games....
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline bunny

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 09:56:11 PM »
My Cyradon campaign is more dark and horrific. In my view, the perfect "horrific villain in the backgroud" is provided by the Cryrads - they are nowhere near as nice and noble as ICE portrayed them in my version of the world. Rather they are ruthless, manipulative and exploitative of the lesser races. Quite alien and pretty thoroughly evil in a cosmic evil sort of way (as discussed in Nightmares of Mine - ie where other races' concerns are ignored largely on the grounds of being totally insignificant.) The only concern the Cyrads show for the lesser races is as potential tools and fodder for vile, evil experiments. Obviously the Schirae and the happenings in Cairnus provide further gore level horror possibilities. Similarly, Ischea is a dream/fantasy horror campaign arc waiting to happen. I also have a cult of Nagazi sorceror/priests working to restore the rule of you-know-who - they're ruthless, despicably evil and powerful.

I usually prefer the struggling-against-overwhelming-evil style of adventure (not really very High Adventure, but hey...) What I find appealing about Cyradon is the rich background yielding lots of different competing "great evils" - despite probably not being designed that way. Other possibilities I've been considering are to make the elven nations more "drowish" (cryptic cults manipulating the elven court intrigue, assassinations, poisons, bizarre ritual sacrifices, etcetera etcetera could all fit in there imo). Plus the obvious warping of nature wrought by the devastation - most of the abomination monsters are inherently horrific. Similarly the perverted Theocracy (complete with evil mastermind - possibly one of several "at large" necromancers...)

A bit of a ramble, but imo it doesnt take much to make Cyradon a horror setting.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 12:34:02 AM »
I see the Janeal versus Danae elven cultures as the Good elf versus bad elf setting..

I see the Danae elves as being the 'drow" versions....
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 02:38:14 AM »
 I think it is Yammahopper that has almost all elves in his campaign as a dark race that wants eveyone else to follow there lead and serve them. I think you can thing of examples from history to compair them to with out disparaging any one or country. But I could be wrong about Yamma as it is late and I did not get a lot of sleep last night.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
SamwiseSeven -- you really ought to purchase the Cyradon Gazetteer. It will give you the truth about what is going on on Cairnus. (The Gazetteer is more of a GM's product, filling in details, especially things that players wouldn't know...)

I got it already. :)  I liked Cairnus Island the most, as it had a lot of possibilities for my twisted imagination, hehe.  You're right though, maybe I should re-read it again, it's been awhile.

Maybe you should have a look at the Echoes of Heaven setting.

I just bought the first book of the setting, but I haven't had a chance to read that much in it.  It does seem to have that dark quality though.

A bit of a ramble, but imo it doesnt take much to make Cyradon a horror setting.

You had lots of nice thoughts on things there Bunny.  I also think it is pretty easy to manipulate the threads of the setting to make a nice fantasy game with some horrific ideas blended in there.

I also have been using the Cyrads as great manipulators, out for their own goals, regardless of how many lesser beings die as grease under the pyramids... (well not actual pyramids, but you get the picture).

Thanks for all the responses.  :)

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 09:31:24 PM »
I bet Nicholas is working up some interesting stuff for Something Wicked that would darken the skies of Cyradon.  >: )

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 08:34:04 AM »
Just saw Hellboy II and the elves in that movie were... shall we say, interesting. I recommend the movie.

As a disclaimer of sorts, I was never really a hellboy fan, but my boy wanted to see the movie. I ended up enjoying the movie as well as birthing many cool gaming ideas...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc