Author Topic: Harp SF question  (Read 1954 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Harp SF question
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:49:33 PM »
I'm not involved in the Beta test of this game, so I though I would ask my question here.  What setting does Harp SF use?  SpaceMaster 2? Spacemaster FRP?  Something entirely new?

The answer to this question will probably determine whether or not I buy the product.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: Harp SF question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:40:44 PM »
It has its own setting, called Tintamar I believe., but I presume it could easily be adapted for use with either the SM2 or the SM:P settings/universes/galaxies.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 02:47:10 AM »
I'm not involved in the Beta test of this game, so I though I would ask my question here.  What setting does Harp SF use?  SpaceMaster 2? Spacemaster FRP?  Something entirely new?

The answer to this question will probably determine whether or not I buy the product.

It has its own setting, namely "Tintamar", but the only impact this has on the rules is to provide a source of example aliens, example training packages, example tech, etc. You can quite cheerfully use HARP SF without Tintamar and replace with a setting of your choice. Alpha playtesters have used it to run Firefly for instance, Thom threatens to use it for Starship Troopers, etc.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:09:35 AM »
Alpha playtesters have used it to run Firefly for instance, Thom threatens to use it for Starship Troopers, etc.

Both sound really interesting. Always dreamt of doing a Starship Troopers/Space Hulk like SciFi game. Already were close to doing something like it when we had a brief adventure with Spacemaster 2 and its plasmatic repeater rifle - it just seemed predestined for something in deep space with loads of nasty insectoid aliens.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »
This thread should be move to the HARP SF forums...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:43:06 AM »

I believe that the HARP SF forums are still read-only except for purchasers of the beta pdfs.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 03:27:23 PM »

I believe that the HARP SF forums are still read-only except for purchasers of the beta pdfs.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Well, in that case I have only to say....   

Ooops! ;)
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:04:41 AM »
Thanks for the answers. I have some thinking to do.  :confused:
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"