Author Topic: Battles in Spaceships  (Read 1262 times)

Offline thedoctor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Battles in Spaceships
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »
I'm not talking about two spaceships fighting in space.  I'm talking about fighting onboard a spaceship like in the opening to Star Wars where the Imperial Storm Troopers board the ship.  It seems to me that an environment like that is a disaster waiting to happen with energy and black powder weapons discharging.  Is there going to be a set of rules (optional or not) to address this?  I wasn't in on the beta, so excuse me if this is and old discussion.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Battles in Spaceships
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:16 AM »
What are you asking here? Is it how to handle it if Zero-G kicks in? Or is it "will they blow a hole in the side of the ship like at the end of AvP/begining of AvP II?"

The first one would likely be handled by making the characters OBs be limited by their Zero-G training skill, while the second shouldn't be a problem unless they are using anti-vehicle weaponry: it would be very stupid to make it easy to put holes in your own spaceship with your sidearm.

Where there any other specific aspects you were referring too?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Battles in Spaceships
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 04:07:54 PM »
Zero-G imposes hefty penalties on maneuvers and combat, which can be offset by the Zero-G Maneuvering skill, etc.

Antipersonnel weapons (blasters, laser rifles, etc) can be used to hose down control consoles and similar pieces of equipment. They can do structural damage to vehicles but there are significant size modifiers when using against vehicles and damage caps. The rules for person-vs-vehicle (and vice versa) combat are in HARP SF Xtreme.

Best wishes,
nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme