Author Topic: HARP SCIFI  (Read 6979 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP SCIFI
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:11 PM »
WoeRie: Have I mentioned before to you that I have been to Heidelberg? A few years ago some friends and I were there as a part of a big "Eurotrip" vacation. Very cool place. I almost bought a huge, hardback Shadowrun Germany Sourcebook there that was, of course, all in German - and I couldn't read a lick of it. Funny, huh.

Substance is always what is ultimately going to get me to play a game, but like Thos said, good-looking books will reel people in and I, too, buy books just for the art. (Alpha-Omega is one, but I also bought that because it is POST-APOCALYPTIC - and love me some PA.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2009, 05:00:07 AM »
Also, I can't tell you how much interior color means to me. Again, I know it is unlikely to happen, but a fella can wish, now can't he?!?

Intern color art makes a manual more expensive and very rarely improves it's layout, usually it just makes a book difficult to read.
That's why I prefer B/W interior art (I love the interior art of the old WH stuff, mostly by Gary Chalk I think), IMHO a manual with a clean layout and good B/W art is a lot better than one with interior color...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2009, 09:38:45 AM »
Very True I once bought the Jorune roleplaying game because of the Art Work
However, I can say that I've bought books from systems I don't even play just because the art was so beautiful(Alpha Omega for example). I think it's a very important aspect of reeling in people who are new to a game.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2009, 11:25:49 AM »
Intern color art makes a manual more expensive and very rarely improves it's layout, usually it just makes a book difficult to read.
That's why I prefer B/W interior art (I love the interior art of the old WH stuff, mostly by Gary Chalk I think), IMHO a manual with a clean layout and good B/W art is a lot better than one with interior color...

Yeah, I am with Arioch on that one.
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2009, 11:55:52 AM »

Those were great and I used to color them myself back then...
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2009, 12:52:11 AM »
Have you seen the D6 games? Thier interiors are B/W and very hard to read the bottom 1/4 of the page. Whether or not it is in color or B/W isn't why they are hard to read, all the underlaying imagery (forgot what that is called) is.

But, mainly I just want art that I can point to and say, "it looks like that!"

PS: I also picked up the Jorune mainly for the art, and this game called Manhunter - a pulpy futuristic game.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2009, 02:27:49 AM »

Actually, I think I've never done that. I always use the pictures to get inspired sort, not looking to be inspired but it happens when you leaf through the book. And I always though it would be nice to have pictures to show the player, "this is what the foe of your characters looks like" but I think I never really did because at the end of the day there was either not quite the right picture, not the time to print the picture out or to find it quick enough in the books without breaking the tension of the game. So, while I like picture and really enjoy most of them, for me, I think, they are not necessary in a gaming book, A cool cover is important to get people interested... although I have to admit that I like the cloth-cover books even better than the normal (soft- and hardcover) but then again I am already hooked to the game(s) and am in an age where you get sort of settled and look for more simplicity in things. :)

Another company now sells adventures with a whole booklet filled with scenes from the dungeon you are in for example. It always says "Show picture hmhmhm on page hmhmhm to the player as they enter the room or as the encounter starts." The problem with that I think is that oftentimes the pictures are not printed well enough to my taste and that the scenes in my opinion would not look like that, but that is entirely my feeling here. Generally speaking I am probably just too old and too old school by now to let go of the "I describe what you see and you imagine it the way you think it fits the situation"-supported by a sketchy map on a piece of paper. If I describe a horrible, blood-covered, dripping and oozing humanoid figure with glowing green eyes and no skin, presented open muscles to everyone looking at it in terror, I do not want a picture, that thing is probably even more horrid if the players - and I - just imagine it, yuck. I think, IMHO, that description oftentimes can be much more and much stronger than pictures.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2009, 04:30:17 AM »

Still prefer BW art for that! I guess it's a matter of tastes...

PS: this is now a thread about art in rpgs  ;D

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2009, 02:51:19 PM »
 I can say that I bought the original Warhammer and W40K in the 80's for the art as well as the new versions for mainly the same reason. But I also picked them up for source info or game world info.

So I guess I am in the I like Art group.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2009, 05:37:30 PM »
I can say that I bought the original Warhammer and W40K in the 80's for the art as well as the new versions for mainly the same reason. But I also picked them up for source info or game world info.
MDC

Oh warhammer 40k art *drools* I bought many a book solely for the awesome art from GW. Those old one page spreads were very nice!
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
MDC

Oh warhammer 40k art *drools* I bought many a book solely for the awesome art from GW. Those old one page spreads were very nice!

I also like the way they did adventures and handout, and I have used them for many a game. I am sort of undecided on getting them in PDF as then I might have to print the pictures or at least show the players the computer screen or a hard copy.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »
I still use their "Coaching Inn" map to this day, for multiple games. (DnD, RM, 7th Seas, etc.) Plus thier Temple map is really good.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2009, 03:38:28 AM »
I still use their "Coaching Inn" map to this day, for multiple games. (DnD, RM, 7th Seas, etc.) Plus thier Temple map is really good.

Yeah, the maps inside the old WHFRP manual were realy useful!

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2009, 11:26:30 AM »
Well,
 Art means little to me in a rule book (with the one exception of Monster books- then there should be good art of the subject matter).
 I buy a rule book for... well, for rules. I pay little attention to the art as it is. It is simply not important to me because I didn't buy the book for the art.
I am not trying to say that art isn't important, especially when advertising (like a book is doing with its front cover), but it is something I do not pay a whole lot of attention to.

IMHO of course.
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2009, 10:22:16 PM »
I am just ready to get the book, sick and tired of looking at the pdf..........

I will buy both a hard cover (for the shelf) and a soft cover (to read & use).