Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Star Wars
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:33:11 PM »
I have just acquired the Harp SF PDF. I found it a real masterpiece ! Clear and consistent rules, modular, esaily adaptable to many settings. A rulebook like I love them. I also liked very much way technolgy is treated and the good description of lasers, blasters...

BTW, has anybody tried to adapt a Starwars campaign with it. As I read the fusion profession, I could not help but imagine a fusion-pilot with precog maneuvers, psychokinesis... After all, changing Psionic powers to "the Force" is just a cosmetic change.
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »
First thing i did when I got the beta version was apply it to Star Wars.  Its actually quite easy to adapt, particularly with the way that the "Psionic Abilities" are setup essentially like Force Powers.  The beta didn't have very much on Bionics & Droids etc though....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:06:27 AM »
First thing i did when I got the beta version was apply it to Star Wars.  Its actually quite easy to adapt, particularly with the way that the "Psionic Abilities" are setup essentially like Force Powers.  The beta didn't have very much on Bionics & Droids etc though....

The *beta* had two chapters on cybertech (AIs, robots, etc.) and cyberware. It sounds like you have the gamma. The cyber chapters are appearing in HARP SF Xtreme.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »
Excellent.  Can i purcahse those chapters seperately then?  In the SF Xtreme?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:00:54 AM »
Excellent.  Can i purcahse those chapters seperately then?  In the SF Xtreme?

Those chapters are part and parcel of SF Xtreme, so as soon as it goes delta/gamma, you should be able to get them.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:13:15 PM »
Now just to clarify, what *IS* HARP SciFi Xtreme?  I've done some browsing around but I'm not sure exactly what it's going to be.  Is it additional content for HARP SciFi?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 03:25:44 AM »
The original manuscript for HARP SF was a big book. ICE wanted more detail on the setting. The book got bigger. The entire book went into a public beta round of playtesting. Mistakes and errors were purged, more detail was added where necessary. When all input from playtesters had been incorporated, the final version *4i* went back to ICE.

The complete work was too big for single volume publication, at least for distribution purposes, so ICE divided the book into two parts. The first part is HARP SciFi, which covers the universe, characters generation, equipment/technology, personal combat, adventuring, psionics, and SysOp [GM] advice. The second part (which is about one-third of the manuscript) is HARP SF Xtreme, which covers vehicles [from groundcars to starships], vehicle combat [for space battles], cyberware [neural implants, turning characters into cyborgs, etc.], and cybertech [creating AIs and robotic characters, turning biological characters into personality downloads].

You want both volumes for a comprehensive sf game.

Best wishes,
Nicholas 
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 07:03:18 PM »
AH! I get it now, thank you.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 09:01:18 PM »
When is HARP SFX slated to be available?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:46:23 AM »
When is HARP SFX slated to be available?

No idea. ICE needs to get artwork for both it and HARP SciFi.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Sazen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 04:35:46 AM »
I didnt even know there was a HARP Sci-Fi when i wrote this...

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=8708.0

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »
Sort of off topic, but I have been playing "Star Wars: Empire at War" on my PC.  This has really re-ignited my love for all things Star Wars.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »
Recently, I too have been in a bit of a Star Wars kick and have been perusing the WEG d6 RPG - of which I have lots, and lots of material for. It was one of the main games I played/ran in my years in the Marine Corps - especially towards the latter years.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 06:29:14 AM »
I just barrowed those books in hopes of converting them to Harp SF.  I've been working on that off and on for a while.  Mostly though, its a nostalgia thing for me too.  D6 Star Wars was one of the first RPGs that really grabbed my imagination.  I call those the golden ages of Star Wars.....I'm not a big fan of the new trilogy.  With the notable exception of watching Yoda whoop butt.

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:56:18 AM »
I liked the prequels.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »
The only thing I liked about the prequels are the effects - specially the huge space battle in the third one. Otherwise, I felt it was a seriously dumbed down story. I would have preferred Yoda to stay the mental, spiritual guy, not the silly jumping spider fighter. The Clone Wars cartoon is better than the prequels, imo.

The d6 Star Wars was a game I played quite a bit in the Marine Corps, and many of my fondest gaming memories are from playing that game. As far as I am concerned, if I was to play it today, I would still use the d6 system. I works great for that setting.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 05:13:51 PM »
Agreed.  I have toyed with it for a while, but never finished it......maybe my old GM will run it again someday....

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:42 PM »
About star wars in harpsf.

How would you guys handle the dark side? as a pure role playing opportunity or would you add in something akin to dark side points, or a dark side score?
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 06:13:25 AM »
Hmmm........

I haven't actually thought of that.  I suppose you could use some sort of corruption rules like you would with magic in a fantasy setting.  But, I expect that it would be better accomplished as a roleplaying element.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 06:48:14 AM »
How would you guys handle the dark side? as a pure role playing opportunity or would you add in something akin to dark side points, or a dark side score?

The darkside sounds like a flaw you take that then allow you to buy talents that boost your psionic abilities.
/Pa Staav