Author Topic: Character Reaction and Orientation  (Read 3429 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Character Reaction and Orientation
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »
I believe that most of this can be handled with what the game has already: Perception. (Long)

Ambush: Opposed skill check of  Ambush vs. Perception (-50 just like in making a combat perception). The Ambush skill check is done generally well in advance when the encounter is designed by the GM so the modifier is already in place by the time the PCs arrive. How long the ambushers took could give a bonus to his ambush check. Remember that the ambush skill gives a bonus to the damage equal to it's rank, so a highly skilled ambusher is doing quite a bit more damage. (Question about this: Are you all giving it as a number of Hits of damage, or as a modifer to the critical to increase that, or both? The last option would be really powerful.) The ambushee (did I just make up a new word?) makes thier perception check with all the same modifiers as a combat perception check. I would allow PC (and NPCs) to develop seperately a Sense Ambush skill if they liked, but it would be in the same skill category as ambush. Their resulting number on the Percentage column would be the amount of activity* they have after the ambush (100 max. except see below), with the -20 initiative still in place - unless they get a critical success/roll over which could lessen the -20 initiative by the amount of percentage over 100 they get. Yes, this could become a positive modifer, saying that they were just somehow able to respond instantly - perhaps with some sub-conscious advanced warning to even get a jump on the ambushers. Excellent rolls should be rewarded like excellent role-playing. Critical fumbles could result in entire rounds without reaction - the mage had his nose in the middle of a book while riding his horse, which reared and he then had to spend the time just staying on the horse (or not!). Some of the details should be described after the rolls and results as to explain them - and give humor.

Missed Teleport (& the like): Just make a perception/orientation roll with a modifier depending upon how different the situation is from what was expected. If you expected to end up on the path to the city, but landed in the river nearby instead, I would not feel wrong in giving at least a -50 to the roll. Use the percentage column just like in an ambush.

Do NOT let them take away your GM-given rights to decide what YOU feel is right and correct. A bunch of 3rd level character shouldn't/couldn't respond absolutely appropriately to every situation that comes up - so don't allow it.

*Alternatively you could just apply the difference between the resulting number and 100 as a negative modifer to anything/everything they do during the surprise round.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 08:31:08 PM »
RandalThor;
 IMO you could do Sense Ambush as a skill or a series of talents that removed a penalty to their perception check. Something like Awareness of Ambush 1: To detect ambushes you can make a perception check at -30. Cost 5 pts, Awareness of Ambush 2: As A0A 1 but check at -20. Cost 10 pts.

IMO it is more of a learned talent as opposed to a new skill but that is just me.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 03:35:17 AM »
The problem is that surprising an enemy already gives you a lot of advantages. If a group of characters manage to set up an ambush against their enemies they:
- give a -20 penalty to their initiative for the first round
- can choose their positions at the beginning of the fight (gaining a +15 to +35 bonus to their OB, depending on their position and probably even a cover bonus to their DB)
- have a +20 bonus to their first attack (and their foes cannot parry since they're not aware of the attack)
- can use Ambush/Sniping

This means that their enemies will be stunned, badly injured or dead before they can react.
Are you sure you want to give them even more advantages?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 03:49:41 AM »
Are you sure you want to give them even more advantages?

Actually, I was thinking my bad guys and monsters would be getting those advantages...  :D
There was no deity involved.  It was my cross-circuiting to B...

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »
RandalThor;
 IMO you could do Sense Ambush as a skill or a series of talents that removed a penalty to their perception check. Something like Awareness of Ambush 1: To detect ambushes you can make a perception check at -30. Cost 5 pts, Awareness of Ambush 2: As A0A 1 but check at -20. Cost 10 pts.

IMO it is more of a learned talent as opposed to a new skill but that is just me.
MDC

That could work just as well.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »
I like the thought of using a talent to represent faster reactions under stress in unfamiliar situations.  But I also wanted to have a character's overall level influence the roll, so I was thinking of a skill.  But perhaps adding the overall level to the roll, plus relevant stat bonuses, plus any talent bonuses, could combine the best of both. 

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 02:03:54 AM »
Well, the level aspect (and I get that desire) could come in by either the fact that it takes more DPs to purchase the combat reaction talent -  I would not have them be 5 or 10 points, but more like 25 to 40. Or you could say that there are prerequisites, such has having to have a certain number of combat ranks (weapon, martial arts, etc) in order to purchase. I guess not everybody get's "used" to being attacked.

Of course, the other way to reflect the higher level does better than lower levels is that the higher levels with higher perception skill bonues, they succeed more often and do better in worse scenarios than lower level characters (or NPCs). Remember that this system has built into it a level system that makes it readily apparent the difference between low levels and high levels - provided they trained at all in it. The spent DPs reflect the character improvements and not just the obvious ones. The fact that the 15th level character has a perception of +110 verses the 5th level's +75, tells us that he will do better in surprise situations because he has a +35 advantage.

Not being snarky, but: If you are looking for automatic increases to certain "abilities" for the characters then you should be looking at a different game. These games (ICE in general) are built upon the premis that if you don't bother to try to get better, then you won't.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »
 I guess you could set a higher DP cost and then reduce the cost by some level factor. Such 40 DP and the cost is reduced by 2*level if the GM decides the PC was in enough hostile situations during the level. As it is the danger that tends to sharpen in those who are in fear of their life the most.

But again I can see it being do in a lot of ways.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 03:38:11 PM »
I was kind of thinking that I could use the level itself.  I would not have to create any other skill or any kind of computed statistic.  RandalThor has a good point though;  Rolemaster and HARP really do not have much in the way of "automatic" improvement skills, althought RM2 does have level bonuses.  That is more of a D&D thing, and I haven't played that since the early 80's.

Still, my thought is a character will get better at reacting to unanticipated situations simply by virtue of having been in more unanticipated situations.  Hence the idea of using the overall character level as a bonus to the roll.  Plus, since player characters are supposed to be extraordinary individuals, adding in a couple stat bonuses (Quickness?  Insight?  Reasoning?) would reflect this because their stat bonuses are generally much higher than the "average" person's. 

And since I brought it up, if you had to pick two stats to reflect this ability, which two would you choose?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »
 For the stats I would pick Qu and maybe Re as the two stats.

I am not so keen on the level idea as IMO someone can be of high level and not experience any situation that is  life and death as a soldier would in day to day combat. But that is just me and as I always say "if it works for your game great" and I hope you make a convert of me as it is always my goal to make my game better.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »
Perhaps I could make it a relevant level bonus?  For example, if it is a classic military ambush situation, I might say, "Add your Soldier level."  Other situations might call for a different set of professional skills.

Example:  "You come out of FTL space in an uncharted asteroid field.  Make a Reaction and Orientation roll and add your Pilot level."

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 06:56:41 PM »
As for the stats, definately Insight and Quickness.

Using relevant level bonuses is another way to go, but it will become abundantly clear that the fighter gets the most out of that method, very quickly.

I say, make your players purchase skill/talent/combo/whatever to reflect their increasing ability - or they are just those certain individuals who just don't seem to be able to handle the stressful situations with alacrity.