Author Topic: HARP SF Xtreme  (Read 6596 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP SF Xtreme
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »
Is it not Jeri Ryan or I think she changed her last name to something else do to the divorce.

Does anyone have an example of simple starship construction but not too simple?

How about some examples of complex starship construction?

For complex I do agree Traveller 3 and 4 had some complex stuff but Traveller 5is back to the simplicity of classic Traveller IMO.
 I do not have an example of too easy IMO as I do not have D20 SW stuff and do not remember my GURPS Starship and Space Opera stuff well enough to vote.
 IMO SM:P Star Ship book went a long way to make things easy even if I prefered the more complex method of generating ships. I also did not think the SM2 stuff Armored Assault and Star Strike was very complex it just needed some difference in tech levels to make it more variable IMO.
MDC

BTW I do not know anything in fact they may be done for all I know. MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 11:38:34 PM »
Fire, Fusion, & Steel for Traveller was way too complex while Savage Worlds vehicle creation is a bit too simple. One that doesn't seem too bad right now is the Dark Heresy / Rogue Trader vehicle creation, but I haven't delved too deeply as of yet.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 06:39:41 AM »
HARP SF Xtreme does not contain a vehicle creation system. The vehicles appearing in it though were created using a prototype vehicle creation system that is intended for SysOp's Guide. The vehicle creation system is not Fire, Fusion & Steel or GURPS 3e Vehicles in complexity.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 07:36:40 AM »
Ah! I had forgotten about the SysOp’s Guide. Well then, I’m looking forward to yet another book. Wicked! :) more money to spend like the good capitalist consumer I am. goodie.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 03:37:04 PM »
The vehicle creation system is not Fire, Fusion & Steel or GURPS 3e Vehicles in complexity.

Excellent. I do lke the idea of being able to make may own stuff for when you want to run a campaign in a different setting, or one tied to novels and such.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 06:42:13 PM »
I have only one request that when you felas start writing the vehicle/starship construction design for Harp-sifi to keep it simple. I for one dont like taking 2 to 3 hours to write up one starship, about 10, 20 minutes would be fine, but more then that just loses my intrest in the design rules.

I totally agree. GURPs Traveller design rules were killing me.
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 08:24:26 PM »
any news on a gamma version of this product?
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »
SysOp's Guide... what's this??? More info please.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 01:50:49 AM »
I think it would be your typical GMs guidebook.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 03:26:23 AM »
SysOp's Guide... what's this??? More info please.

The intention is that it would cover rules for creating vehicles, technologies, species (sentient and nonsentient) and worlds as well as provide guidance on campaign / setting design and rules adaptation.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »
Very cool. Looking forward to this.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »
Just keep it HARP: Simple and Flexible, with an emphasis on Flexible.  But as long as SIMPLE is still in there.

Perhaps the word you're looking for is "elegant".

Since exploring HARP, I've come to the conclusion that HARP succeeded in becoming what RM1 was trying to be. Simple, modular, robust.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline johnkzin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
Now if only they could add "prompt" to that list of adjectives, we'd all be happy.

(I've been waiting for HARP SF for at least 5 years, now)

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:52 PM »
Now if only they could add "prompt" to that list of adjectives, we'd all be happy.

(I've been waiting for HARP SF for at least 5 years, now)

There are two different "They"'s, namely Mjolnir LLC for whom I originally wrote the manuscript way back in 2005-6, and GCP Ltd (my company) who only took over the HARP SF license last December. Unlike Mjolnir, all of the people who work on GCP Ltd. projects are freelancers who do our work in their evenings and weekends. Despite their freelance nature, our people have made much more progress to date in getting HARP SF ready for publication.

HARP SF will be coming soon. HARP SF Xtreme will follow.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »

I'm certain Mr. Caldwell could regale you with a tale or two of my own impatience, so I'm hardly in a position to chide others for theirs. However, in case it helps others as it has helped me when dealing with such impatience (not least my own, as noted), I'll share with you a little sentence the US Navy taught me:

"If you can't afford the time to do it right, how will you ever find the time to do it again?"

Yes, it has been a long wait (although I'm nowhere near the 5 year mark).

Yes, the wait has been annoying.

BUT...

Yes, I fully expect that the final product will turn out to have been worth the wait.

If this helps you cut down on the teeth grinding while waiting, then you're welcome. If not.... well, sorry. I did what I could, that's all I got. I'm not an artist or layout guy, so I'm tapped out for other options. All I can do is remind myself that he's taking the time to get it right.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline joel.lovell

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Author
    • Machinimagine
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »
Wait until you see the cover art. I heard it's spectacular. ;)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 10:54:42 PM »
"If you can't afford the time to do it right, how will you ever find the time to do it again?"

Of course, having a game book come out a bit early with some typos and other errors just isn't the same as getting information wrong about an incoming attack... :o

...and I like the cover art for the beta rule book. (It is all the interior art that needed redoing.

Offline flyingcircus

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
Well evidently this is never coming out and I have just about lost all hope of getting my gamma PDF update finalized, now with ICE's downfall.  This sucks!

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 07:48:52 PM »
The HARP SF countdown is here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=10507.msg133594#msg133594

SF Extreme is the next book in line to come out. . .and my (unofficial) understanding is that it's close behind, not "you'll see it in 2017".
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »
I hope it I can see it in 2017 as I think it has legs.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.