Author Topic: Tech levels and weapons and stuff  (Read 1489 times)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Tech levels and weapons and stuff
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:20:32 PM »
Harp sci-fi uses a simple tech level system, only differentiating between three (or four really) levels of tech and equipment. Now, some equipment and devices have listed bonuses or similar to signify tech level difference. I was wondering about weapons though. What would be the difference between an early and an advanced assault rifle for example? I mean, in addition to the general idea that the early one would be bigger, uglier and clunkier so forth.. in game mechanic terms, what would the difference be?

As a side note, anyone been thinking about making different types, models or series of the existing weapons? and with models I mean like variations, some more expensive with extra gadget, but basically the same assault rifle... but what about a more accurate rifle, but with, perhaps, a penalty on the aar? these are but thoughts, but I mean, making models and different series of weapons is cool, I think... I have been thinking about making some early series assault rifles and pistols, for use in an up coming campaign. I use tintamar as a base setting, but I’m turning towards dystopia, pulp and quasi-steam punk. Point being, I want diversity for equipment, similar stuff, with different bonuses, drawbacks and so forth.

ideas anyone?
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Tech levels and weapons and stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:16:56 PM »
You might want to take a look at SM:P Equipment Man has they have a table of weapons by SM:P tec level. I also have use Arms Law: Firearms for RMSS and SM:P. SM:P Blaster Law lets you create custom energy weapons with lots of bells and whistles.
 I have used Traveller 3 Fire Fusion and Steel also in the past to create custom weapons and they looked up the ME on the chart in AL:FA. For T:FFS it has quite a few options and it is easy to add options for everyday life.

Does that help?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:27:58 PM »
I have most of the SM:P stuff somewhere in a box... I’ll have to find it and take a look. Thanks for the advice.

Not familiar with or in possession of anything related to traveller.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »
I believe what you are looking for is 3G3 GUNS GUNS GUNS by Greg Porter. You can even find it as a PDF.
Guns, seige equipment, bows, rpg's, Lasers, Particle beams, explosives, lots and lots on velocity, barrel length, joules of energy, explosives... I'm not saying it is an accurate technical journal... but it is an amazing piece of work.
Buy a scientific calculator though. :)

For a little less prep... I think that Blaster Law is outstanding for what the average rpg's energy weapon stat/build. It goes above 3G3 in ease of play in that regard, but I don't have the math needed for a mesh of both of those books. It would be pretty...
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 01:35:38 PM »
 There was also a person on the Cyberspace boards that created a lot of weapons that you might be able to use with only a little mods.
 I will see if I can dig up his name. But I would not trust my filing skills or if I even kept the file he sent me to look at. So I would look at the Cyberspace forums and see if you can dig up his name under a weapon thread.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
My lappy's hard drive crashed a while back so I had to buy 3G3 again.. I still think it's worth every penny of the $8.50.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline johnkzin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 09:11:12 PM »
I wish they'd update it to cover more recent systems, and systems that have gotten more popular since it was last updated.  But, reading through the blurbs on their site, and on RPGNow.com, they haven't added new systems in quite a while.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 03:23:15 AM »
I wish they'd update it to cover more recent systems, and systems that have gotten more popular since it was last updated.

Yeah, assumed tech levels always do look dated after 10 years or so.

For Cyber Punk 2020 .... was it the Blackhammer Project?