Author Topic: When did you start playing ICE rpg's?  (Read 58484 times)

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: When did you start playing ICE rpg's?
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2013, 09:41:34 AM »
I have been playing ICE RPGs off and on since 1983.  Originally started with the old Rolemaster, and then MERP (both versions).  I also played Space Master.  It really took off when I started running HARP for my group when it came out.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2013, 07:05:04 AM »
electron_god,
 I would like to welcome you to the ICE Forums if no one has done so yet.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline corvinius

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »
I started playing RM and Spacemaster in the late 80's. We used the old Middle Earth resources for our adventures. It was the best system in my opinion at the time, and still is.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2014, 08:02:35 PM »
Corvinius, welcome to the ICE Forums.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline corvinius

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Corvinius, welcome to the ICE Forums.
MDC
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »
I started Playing D&D and then got introduced into Arms Law for critical tables in the early 80's. Me and my friends chipped in to by the MERP and modules and eventually the RM green boxed set. I have been upgrading ever since. Currently I stay with RMSS and have introduced my 3 boys into playing and they love the system and started to become GM's. I have played many systems over the years but keep coming back to RM, that must say something.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2014, 05:47:31 PM »
I started when Spell Law came out.  When was that released?

Mal

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
Which version? And it was released at various times (editions). If it was the first version is should be after the RM2 Spell Law was released.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline utumno

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Roleplayer since 1978
    • UTUMNO
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2014, 07:29:53 AM »
D&D 1978, AD&D 1980, RM 1987ish, SM 1989, MERP 1990 onwards.
. UTUMNO .

Offline area51games

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • GOT DICE?
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2014, 02:23:39 PM »
my first rolemaster game was MERPS!
THEN CYBERSPACE AND SPACEMASTER all 80's It was hard to get my group to play it , so i had to give gameS to fringe  and one shoot groups. now all my old friends that i use to game with are ether dead, dying or are not my friend any more, so I packed up and moved to Buffalo Mountain where My wife, My children and My Neighbors kids game a lot, as I illustrate to pay the bills < THAT MY DELUSION AND i AM STICKING TOO IT, I am not a kept man , I tell you>.  My wife is not very found of rolemaster, so I have to make her character for her, even with harp. but I am such a good game master that it could be stick people and she would play, or maybe it's because she lov....mE? nah it's because I am so good , any way that the run down. next week we look in to my Box----LOL
Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."
Mal: "Ain't we just!"

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2014, 02:53:40 PM »
I think I'd been out for the Marines for... I dont know, a few months. that was in '90.
I started hanging around the local game store, how many of you remember WarGames West out of Albuquerque, NM?!
anyways... I became friends with a guy that worked there and one day I was in and looking at CP2020, asked if I was interested in joining a game and I took the hook...
it was a brain blasting explosion of CyberSpace and SpaceMaster colliding at sub light speeds and it was (insert long Marine-ish string of expletives) AWESOME. Those games went on for years, only interrupted for when we fired up RM2 for some High Fantasy play.   Those games went on for years.
I got talked into playing D&D3e a few years ago... well I hadnt played in a long time and I really wanted to play and... was left disappointed and wanting more.
Found a pretty good group for RM2/RMSS for a few years and then people move, jobs change, all that.
I'm looking to run or play again soon, but gotta be RM or CS/SM. gotta.
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline KeithT

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2014, 01:41:32 AM »
I started buying the rolemaster books in the early to mid 80's I guess. But didn't start playing until the early 90's when I joined the locate games club. I had a lot of success with shadow world and ran a very long running campaign. I think changes to the membership meant that the few people who would play rolemaster stopped coming.

With changes to my personal life, getting married, starting a new job having to go to uni eventually mean that I just couldn't continue gaming.

Would like to restart playing just haven't got a group to game with.

Offline Soulcleave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »
  Yea I have been playing for a long time.  Fell in love with the whole Arcane Magic Idea from RMC1 and have been Wanting to play an Arcane Caster from then on...If I could ever find someone in the area Running a game, as opposed to me being the GM (My Usual Role).
Yes, it is true.  I am a figment of my Imagination.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2014, 11:43:50 AM »
My first introduction to any type of gaming at all was freshman year in college with RM2.  I happened to walk into a session that was going on with some friends and they were all laughing so hard we were in tears.  The night was a blast and I was only a spectator!  I asked them if it was like D&D and they said "D&D is here.... Rolemaster is waaaaaaaayyyyyy over here.  It's worlds and worlds apart from what D&D is."

Having never played D&D I had no basis for comparison.  I only knew that it was fun, funny, exciting, and a heck of a great time.  I asked if I could make up a character.   They helped me, taught me the dice conventions, and I have been hooked ever since.

If you follow my posts in any of the other threads, you'll see that I was the only one with all of the Companions.  They stopped buying them since they knew I would get them.  My Cavalier PC was the perfect build for a spell caster and an absolutely mediocre fighter because a spell-caster player configured him that way and I knew no better.

Now, decades later, I have my own kids and they play Rolemaster and they love it too.  Granted, it's RM2, but with the hundreds of dollars I have invested in those books, I'm not ready to give them up.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
When were the fighting fantasy books released? I am not sure if I read/played The Warlock of Firetop Mountain before or after my first intro to D&D.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
Ah, Google says 1982 so D&D came first for me.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Jaeru

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »
Hi,

I started roleplaying by playing MERP in 1993...dabbled in some AD&D 2e. Loved their sourcebooks, not so much the mechanics. Tried Rolemaster, but apart from using spell law in my MERP games didn't really like it (don't hurt me  ;) ), so basically I played MERP...a lot.

I stopped playing at the beginning of my working career, but at some point found someone who was GM-ing an Exalted 2nd ed. game, which I joined for a couple of years and had a lot of fun even though the game mechanics are HORRIBLE...the setting though is just awesome (or at least I think so).

Wanted to GM myself again at some point, so checked out here to see if ICE had a new MERP of sorts...found HARP 1st ed. and have been playing and GM-ing that ever since. Mostly PbP due to the day job, but occassionally face to face with the old Exalted group.

I'm trying to find a more regular face 2 face or online (real time) gaming group...so open for suggestions

Offline Orlam

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2015, 02:56:59 AM »
Originally start playing with "Call of Chtulu", and mastering with the french version of MERP called JRTM in the late 80

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2015, 03:55:46 PM »
Aug/Sept 1993. Freshman in college, a bunch of people roleplaying in my dorm.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »
My first exposure to ICE was with the very first publication of Arms Law back in 1980.  Or, was it first published in 1981?  Can't remember.  I saw Arms Law in a hobby store in Jacksonville FL (was stationed at Mayport).  Bought it and immediately fell in love with it.  It gave us something the D&D folks never have gotten into their brains: Critical Damage.

Then a year later, I bought the first RM set and never looked back to D&D.  I still find the RM system the best there is.

rmfr

And a Footnote.

I actually started using ICE materials B4 there ever was an ICE RPG.  I actually bought three copies of the original Arms Law Booklet.  I kept one.  Sent two home to wife.  No longer have any.   :'(

We lovingly called it the ICE RIG.  "Let's play with the ICE RIG."

Try rolling dice on a rocking ship.  Fun.  I still have the original dice rolling box I made in the USNavy.  Used to have a lid that slid over.  Age killed the lid.

rmfr

P.S. - Maybe I'll post a pic in a second footnote. 8)
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.