Author Topic: Need a rule clarification, well actually two.  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Need a rule clarification, well actually two.
« on: August 31, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »
One of my players brought to my attention, that damage penalties  can affect QU bonus to DB, but not reduce it below zero. In that he is correct according to the core book on page 102. My question is this. Since penalties affect all ST, AG and QU manuevers, do the penalties also affect DB bonus granted by agility from the the Agile Defense talent ? I have a few players that may be affected and wanted a clarification before it comes up in the game.

My second question is this. Can those who arer using Chi Defense use weapons of any kind outside of a martial arts kata? To quote the chi defense description "... In order to use chi defense a character may not be wearing any armor, nor be carrying a shield or other large object or weapon in his hands." I have been interpreting that as saying large object or large weapon, meaning small and mediums are allowed. After reading up on martial arts, i am beginning to think i was wrong in that understanding.

Any help would be appreciated.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Need a rule clarification, well actually two.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »
This is coming from an RM guy, but I think the rule is the same.  Base DB, provided purely by your QU or a talent, cannot be penalized.  However a SKILL that provides DB can.  So in RM your Adrenal Defense might suffer due to it really being a 'moving maneuver' (that probably wouldn't be a very popular GM call, but it's within the realm of possibilities).

As to the weapons it's really up you to.  I say "Large Weapon" is a heavier longer single handed sword.  So, I might allow a Short Sword, Foil or Rapier, but not a something heavier like a Broadsword.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
In HARP, those penalties apply to all maneuvers that use Agility, Strength or Quickness. But it only reduces up to the total applied from those stats. As it states "...reduce a character's DB, but only their Quickness bonus to DB, not Defensive Bonuses received from other sources." I.e. Any bonuses gained from other sources (A talent being an other source) are not affected by this modifier.

As far as Martial arts go, you can't use any weapon unless it is a Kata for that style, this includes small and medium weapons along with the large weapons. I asked about for a clarification on this rule a real long time ago, like back in 2004.

Of course all the rules are subject to your approval as the GM. I myself have some house rules when it comes to Martial arts. One involves the Adrenal defense skill. In my house rule you don't have to activate it. But you can still only do so many rounds of active Adrenal Defense based on your skill ranks. It makes the Monk a little less of an easy kill and more balanced with the other fighting classes.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
In HARP, those penalties apply to all maneuvers that use Agility, Strength or Quickness. But it only reduces up to the total applied from those stats. As it states "...reduce a character's DB, but only their Quickness bonus to DB, not Defensive Bonuses received from other sources." I.e. Any bonuses gained from other sources (A talent being an other source) are not affected by this modifier.

As far as Martial arts go, you can't use any weapon unless it is a Kata for that style, this includes small and medium weapons along with the large weapons. I asked about for a clarification on this rule a real long time ago, like back in 2004.

Of course all the rules are subject to your approval as the GM. I myself have some house rules when it comes to Martial arts. One involves the Adrenal defense skill. In my house rule you don't have to activate it. But you can still only do so many rounds of active Adrenal Defense based on your skill ranks. It makes the Monk a little less of an easy kill and more balanced with the other fighting classes.

Bruce

Let me ask in a different manor.

Currently i am not using monks in the game as the the players have not encountered a culture that produces them yet.  So let's say a fighter who has no  cause/want to develop martial arts or martial art styles, wants to develop chi defense for combat while out of armor, Can he use any weapons? The more i look at it i inclined to say he can't according to how i interpret the rule.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 11:06:42 PM »
Then nope, no weapons can be used. At least as per the rules.
Not to mention how is he going to develop it if there is no one to teach it? The Adrenal skills are special skills that essentially can't be self taught like a few limited others can. As a GM myself I would say he needs to find someone that can at least teach him the basics and he can go from there. But at a cost of 4 per rank, I'm not really sure if it is worth it. Acrobatics might be an easier alternative for him for now.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:02:44 AM »
Yeah, that is what i was thinking. As far the player training it? There is something in the next play session that will have a self taught option<Not as good as a monk> after an encounter.