Author Topic: AutoHARP 1.0 - Errata - Issues  (Read 13121 times)

Offline Tzeentch

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • G+ page
Re: AutoHARP 1.0 - Errata - Issues
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »
How would I go about using the Skill Flexibility talent?

What I did is change the cost to 2 for the chosen skill, but when I level up, it still cost 4, even if it says 2 in the cost column.
Actually, is that also a bug?  I tried changing the cost to a whole set of skills and it doesn't do anything, the cost always remains the same, even though the cost column says otherwise.

I also tried locking all the skills from a category except the one I want to chose for the talent and then favoring the category.  When I do that the cost for the skill becomes 2 and all the rest of the cost stay at 4.  But when I level up all the skills from the category are bought at 2DP, even those that say 4 in the cost column.

Are these bugs, or is there something I'm doing incorrectly?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »
I checked this out and low and behold it is a bug. The cost is looking at the Category Cost and not the individual skill cost where it is supposed to look. Changing the category cost changes all skills and subskills to that cost and therefore updates each skill and subskill individual cost. So, you are doing it right, I have it setup in the program wrong. This will make it into the 1.0.4 release. Thanks for spotting that.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
Have you seen the emails I have sent you for the issues I found?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 04:13:13 PM »
Looking at them now. Thanks! 8)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »
Now with 1.0.4 out which has a lot of new features and updates, I am always looking for ways to make AutoHARP better. I see that the ratings on source forge got 2 votes for 4 stars which means there is definitely improvements to be made, but I don't see a lot of reports coming in. I'm always open for new ideas and definitely issues you come across. You can either post them here or at SourceForge.

Thanks for using AutoHARP!  8)

Offline Judas

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »
Fooling around with AutoHARP today and I have a couple more questions and suggestions.

Can you explain what the "Base Rules" boolean does when Managing Books? Checked in the forums and my search skills are failing me, sorry if it has already been explained. I'm just not tracking. I have AutoHARP Fantasy 1.0.4 with the Martial Law and College of Magics databases. The checkbox clearly enables or disables a chapter, but I don't understand what the boolean does.

Why do we have to assign the Racial and Common Spoken/Written ranks in adolescence? Just curious. It seems they are like the other skills that are preassigned for you.

Errata
1. The Magestaff spell is missing for Mage and The Magician.

Issues
1. On the skill list for adolescence/profession, you can bring up the add/subtract ranks box on categories. You cannot buy ranks, but it does come up. This doesn't occur on any other skill list. Just thought I would mention it.

Suggestions
1. It would be pretty nice if all the skill lists had a skill description box off to the side somewhere, or a description popup on double-click. This would be especially helpful when buying spells.
2. It would be helpful if the profession bonuses (e.g. Fighters get +10 to any combat skill of their choice every third level) were somewhere on the printed character sheet. I watched a friend build a fighter last night and he completely forgot this bonus, even with the popup. All my players always forget this bonus. I know, you can't save everyone from themselves. :)  I have a home-brewed generator that I've thrown in the trash now that you have an official one. What I did was add the profession bonuses as an additional talent that would print with the rest of the talents. Just my two cents.
3. When selecting profession talents (e.g. Theif selects one from Assassin Training, Master Burglar, Master Pickpocket), a description for the talents would be handy. Either a description box off to the side or double-click popup would work.
4. On the skill lists, maybe an "expand all" and "collapse all" right-click option? I keep looking for one so it must be a natural option in my brain.
5. How about a skill filter for "Favored"?
6. How about a skill filter for "Skills with Ranks"? I would LOVE this one, especially after the first couple of levels.
7. When making a Cleric selected spells are mixed in with all the other Cleric spells. Not sure how you could separate them, but it is a little confusing.
8. How about a tab that is a truncated version of the first page of the printed character sheet so that AutoHARP can be utilized as a character sheet at the tabletop? It wouldn't need to have everything from the printed sheet, for instance I don't think traits, picture, or Stat bonus breakout is necessary. It's actually fairly close already, but a little too much clicking around to find things. Just thought this would be cool.
9. Any plans for creating custom classes within the interface? I'm too lazy to update XML. Although if it never happens then I don't have to have the inevitable arguments with my players as to why I'm nerfing their custom class.  8)

Thanks again Monk for all the hard work! Lovin' AutoHARP!

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »
Errata
1. The Magestaff spell is missing for Mage and The Magician.

After double checking it, the Magestaff spell is only part of the Thaumaturge Circle. (ref. CoM pg 94)

Can ICE/GCP confirm or correct me?

Offline Judas

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »
I'm a little confused on this as well. Here's what I found.

HARP Manual, pg 16.

...Magicians are automatically entitled to
add the Magestaff spell (from College of Magics) and six additional
spells, designated as Mage spells from other sourcebooks
to the Magician’s Circle.

CoM, pg 106 (A little out of context here I'll admit)

Both types of spell casting device are created through
the use of spells, namely Holy Symbol (Cleric Sphere) and
Magestaff (Magician and Thaumaturge Circles).

CoM, pg 41 (again, out of context)
A similar distinction exists between Holy Symbol (Cleric)
and Magestaff (Thaumaturge, Magician).

However, as you noted, it is only listed in the Thaumaturge Circle. Also, the spell definition only lists Thaumaturge.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »
Fooling around with AutoHARP today and I have a couple more questions and suggestions.

Can you explain what the "Base Rules" boolean does when Managing Books? Checked in the forums and my search skills are failing me, sorry if it has already been explained. I'm just not tracking. I have AutoHARP Fantasy 1.0.4 wit oes.
Base rules are rules that are specific to a book. For example, with Martial Law the defense xml database has different data yet the xml definition is exactly the same. However you can't use both books, you have to pick one. This is where base rules come into play. I try to make sure the base rules are at the top. Perhaps I could do is comment each xml file to tell people what are the base rules for the database file and what are the common rules that should always be included.

Why do we have to assign the Racial and Common Spoken/Written ranks in adolescence? Just curious. It seems they are like the other skills that are preassigned for you.
The problem was simply trying to keep things as open as possible. When it comes to the linguistics, sure, they should go into their race, but what about hybrids? Then what race do they go into? I didn't want to force the users hand even though 90% of time I'm sure the ranks are going into where they are anticipated. Same thing for Common. Common could be a specific language, not just something called "common". This decision was made just to keep things open.

Suggestions
1. It would be pretty nice if all the skill lists had a skill description box off to the side somewhere, or a description popup on double-click. This would be especially helpful when buying spells.
The spells do have an updated information box. When you right click the spell, you should get an Spell Information entry on the pop-up window. Having this for skills is next for an update.

2. It would be helpful if the profession bonuses (e.g. Fighters get +10 to any combat skill of their choice every third level) were somewhere on the printed character sheet. I watched a friend build a fighter last night and he completely forgot this bonus, even with the popup. All my players always forget this bonus. I know, you can't save everyone from themselves. :)  I have a home-brewed generator that I've thrown in the trash now that you have an official one. What I did was add the profession bonuses as an additional talent that would print with the rest of the talents. Just my two cents.
I'll have to think about how to tackle this

3. When selecting profession talents (e.g. Theif selects one from Assassin Training, Master Burglar, Master Pickpocket), a description for the talents would be handy. Either a description box off to the side or double-click popup would work.
I was thinking about this too and was thinking about adding that in.

4. On the skill lists, maybe an "expand all" and "collapse all" right-click option? I keep looking for one so it must be a natural option in my brain.
5. How about a skill filter for "Favored"?
6. How about a skill filter for "Skills with Ranks"? I would LOVE this one, especially after the first couple of levels.
7. When making a Cleric selected spells are mixed in with all the other Cleric spells. Not sure how you could separate them, but it is a little confusing.
4: I was thinking of putting in a skills search box. I'm wondering if that might take care of having to search for a skill which is what I think the expand all would help do.
5: That would be good idea
6: Again, excellent idea.
7: I suppose I could make sure the Cleric spells that are cost 2 are on the top and the spells at cost 4 are underneath.

8. How about a tab that is a truncated version of the first page of the printed character sheet so that AutoHARP can be utilized as a character sheet at the tabletop? It wouldn't need to have everything from the printed sheet, for instance I don't think traits, picture, or Stat bonus breakout is necessary. It's actually fairly close already, but a little too much clicking around to find things. Just thought this would be cool.
9. Any plans for creating custom classes within the interface? I'm too lazy to update XML. Although if it never happens then I don't have to have the inevitable arguments with my players as to why I'm nerfing their custom class.  8)
8: I always envisioned a person making a PDF of the character sheet, and then making a book with bookmarks and using PDF. Granted, having it a part of AutoHARP would be better in order to update the character sheet along the way. I'll have to think about how to go about doing this. I might see if WxWidgets can create a PDF on the fly. that would be a neat thing. Once you have created a campaign file, then you can create a PDF based on the file. If you update the sheets, you can recreate the campaign file. I'm not a fan of having it as a tab only because you don't have a lot of real-estate. I'm thinking having a way to make a dynamic PDF is the way to go here.
9: Custom classes such as custom races, professions and cultures. I'm thinking about that, but that may be down the road a ways.

Thanks again Monk for all the hard work! Lovin' AutoHARP!

Thank you! I'm glad I'm getting these requests. You're the second and both of you have some excellent ideas. I'm always looking for ways to make it better and the user is usually the best person to ask. It's nice to get the real world usage out of it to see what works and what doesn't. I'm hoping one day someone will do something like this with the Combat Tracker. I'm wondering if anyone has used it. That part of the application is awfully quiet.  8)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
Thank you! I'm glad I'm getting these requests. You're the second and both of you have some excellent ideas. I'm always looking for ways to make it better and the user is usually the best person to ask. It's nice to get the real world usage out of it to see what works and what doesn't. I'm hoping one day someone will do something like this with the Combat Tracker. I'm wondering if anyone has used it. That part of the application is awfully quiet.  8)

That's coming soon.  ;)

Offline Judas

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2013, 04:49:16 PM »
I took a shot at the Combat Tracker the other day actually and to be honest I had a lot of trouble. For instance, I imported two characters and setup the relevant stuff for attacking each other. I selected the first guy, clicked the roll button, then clicked the attack button. I see the roll result, but no critical results. If I do not click the roll button and just click attack it will say I fumbled and to click attack again for fumble results. When I do that I get fumble results.

Also, when trying to apply a spell to a character I just received a lot of path not found or unable to open file errors. I don't remember exactly but I'll do it again later and get you the specific errors.

I would be happy to play with it some more to get you some feedback, but personally I won't be using the Combat Tracker at the table. Primarily because we use a bastardized set of HARP, RM Criticals, SPAR, and House rules for combat which obviously won't work with it. My best guess is that may be the issue for others as well. That being said, it looks bad ass and if we were using standard rules I would be all over it.

Offline Judas

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2013, 05:13:32 PM »
Here you go. I opened the Active Spell pane, right-click, selected Add Spell and this is what I got.

3:06:27 PM: can't open file 'Harp Databases/Harp Fantasy//Harp Databases/Harp Fantasy/Martial Law/SpellsFromMartialLaw.xml' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
3:06:27 PM: can't open file 'Harp Databases/Harp Fantasy//Harp Databases/Harp Fantasy/College of Magics/SpellsFromCollegeOfMagics.xml' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
3:06:27 PM: can't open file 'Harp Databases/Harp Fantasy//Harp Databases/Harp Fantasy/Harp Fantasy/SpellsFromCoreRules.xml' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)

Offline Judas

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2013, 04:14:43 PM »
Happy day after Thanksgiving!

Alright, players are starting to email me their character sheets for the game tomorrow and I'm noticing some new issues.

1. If a player selected a picture for their character in AutoHARP on their PC when I load up their XML file I will not have that picture on my computer. AutoHARP will throw an error and everything works fine if I click "cancel", although it keeps throwing the error every time it needs to access the pic. I just jumped into the XML file and removed the pic's path, but there should probably be some error handling on missing mugshots.
2. It appears the printed character sheet is miscalculating the Defensive Bonus section for QU*2-AP. The character has a QU of 2 and AP of -31 (need to talk to him about that AP ::)). The printed sheet shows 35, but it should be the min of 0. My guess is your calculating ((2*2) - -31) and not ((2*2) + -31). The total DB is calculated correctly by the way, so it is just on that particular line of the DB section.

If we find anything else I'll be back.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2013, 11:23:40 AM »
Just noticed the following issues when using AutoHarp.

The subskills appear to always use the Stats defined in the main skill, even if the subskill has different stats. When I edit the subskill in Autoharp to correct the stats it then uses the new stats.

Occasionally, the Skills do not calculate the skill bonus properly. For instance, I had a skill with 6 ranks, stat bonus of 6 (3+3). AutoHarp calculated a total skill bonus of +34. It should have been +36 ( (5*6)+6). I forced Autoharp to recalculate by adding a +0 talent bonus and I got the correct final bonus.

On the Character sheet, the Qu*2 - AP is not reported properly. My character had a Qu bonus of 1 and an AP of -2. So the total is 0, but the character sheet reported 4. The Total DB (2) was correct though.

The last issue is on the character sheet and is probably because I changed something in the skills. The Resistance Rolls are not reported properly. I think is is because I changed the skill Resistance from 3 skills to a skill with 3 subskills.

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2014, 05:43:20 AM »
Might be an issue...
AutoHARP crashes when trying to print character sheets with long text blocks in Description, Background and Goals.

I might suggest putting those info blocks on their own page for the next revision.
I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
   -- The Doctor, 11th Incarnation

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2014, 06:14:46 AM »
Version 1.04 -- All the Resistance rolls are set for SD/Co -- Magic is In/In, Will is SD/SD and Stamina is Co/Co -- good thing we can set this right without fuss.
I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2014, 07:00:59 AM »
Version 1.04 -- All the Resistance rolls are set for SD/Co -- Magic is In/In, Will is SD/SD and Stamina is Co/Co -- good thing we can set this right without fuss.

I think this issue has already been raised. You can go into the AutoHARP\Harp Databases\Harp Fantasy\Harp Fantasy\SkillsFormCoreRules.xml file and manually change it to the following block:

Code: [Select]
        <Skill name="Resistance- Stamina">
            <Name>Resistance- Stamina</Name>
            <Stats>
                <Stat>Constitution</Stat>
                <Stat>Constitution</Stat>
            </Stats>
            <Resolution>Special</Resolution>
            <Description>This skill must be learned separately for the three different types of Resistance Rolls; Stamina, Will, and Magic. Each version of this skill has a different set of stats that are used. Resistance: Stamina uses Co/Co, Resistance: Will uses SD/SD, and Resistance: Magic uses In/In. Your total bonus for this skill includes your skill rank bonus, your stats, and the appropriate RR Bonus from the Racial Characteristics Table on page 19. The total skill bonus is then used as the modifier for any Resistance Rolls that the character has to make. Hint: Be sure your character has at least one rank in all three versions of this skill.</Description>
            <SubSkillOnly>false</SubSkillOnly>
        </Skill>
        <Skill name="Resistance- Will">
            <Name>Resistance- Will</Name>
            <Stats>
                <Stat>Self Discipline</Stat>
                <Stat>Self Discipline</Stat>
           </Stats>
            <Description>This skill must be learned separately for the three different types of Resistance Rolls; Stamina, Will, and Magic. Each version of this skill has a different set of stats that are used. Resistance: Stamina uses Co/Co, Resistance: Will uses SD/SD, and Resistance: Magic uses In/In. Your total bonus for this skill includes your skill rank bonus, your stats, and the appropriate RR Bonus from the Racial Characteristics Table on page 19. The total skill bonus is then used as the modifier for any Resistance Rolls that the character has to make. Hint: Be sure your character has at least one rank in all three versions of this skill.</Description>
        </Skill>
        <Skill name="Resistance- Magic">
            <Name>Resistance- Magic</Name>
            <Stats>
                <Stat>Insight</Stat>
                <Stat>Insight</Stat>
            </Stats>
        </Skill>

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »
Thanks. I should really take a look at the xml files to see how I can add in some of the other classes, like from the old Codex and Harper's Bazaar.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
AutoHarp tends to crash when I print.

I can only print if I start AutoHarp, then open a character and then print. If I do anything before printing it crashes.

I don't get any specific error messages, only Windows telling me that AutoHarp has stopped working.

:(

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
Send me your xml character sheet to perfecthundred@gmail.com and I will see what is causing the crash.