Author Topic: What's the best thing about roleplaying?  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What's the best thing about roleplaying?
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:31:55 PM »
I've played with all different kinds of players over the years and wondered what people enjoyed most about playing tabletop roleplaying games and what kept them coming back to the hobby?

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What's the best thing about roleplaying?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »
I think you need to allow more than one response per vote, since there are at least two reasons in there that keep me coming back to RPGs. I like the creative aspect, which is likely why I GM far more than I actually play (about 90% GM, 10% player). The problem-solving aspect is also great fun, but at the heart of it I'm more of an "immersion" player. Nothing gets me out of a game faster than a poorly-constructed setting or thin character system.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline anvil

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 06:59:44 AM »
It's an excuse to get together with like minded friends and blow stuff up with out the trouble that comes with using actual explosives.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
 I would have to say that I enjoy 5 out of the 7 options above.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 08:00:38 AM »
I voted with the people.  A good gaming group can make all the system, setting, and mathematical foibles seem fun no matter what.  In my experience a lot of folk have returned to tabletop gaming from video games for just this kind of environment.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Alten

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »
Other: Unbridling my and my friends' imaginations. This is the game I dreamt of before I even knew it existed. Anything you can conceive you can act out.
As you wish...

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 11:02:07 PM »
I chose other because it is a bit of all of them, though also what Alten sayed; it is about imagination.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 02:12:33 AM »
Erm... Voted "Other" because...

I enjoy creating adventure stories with my friends through the medium of a game. That means I like creating characters and then doing stuff with them, using the rules as a vehicle for the action.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 12:14:01 PM »
I voted other because some of the options are true for me, and some others were not there.
I GM because I love making up the stories, NPCs and then seeing them interact with the PCs. I enjoy the collaborative story telling that takes place when you describe a situation, and the characters react to it in the most unexpected way, then I have to somehow describe what happens next.
Also, it is a great excuse to spend time with friends.
On the rare occasions I get to play as a PC, I enjoy creating the character, watch it evolve, and also the puzzle solving.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 09:51:17 PM »
In all fairness people, he did ask what is the BEST thing.

Really, unless you can enjoy your RPG's just as much without a live group, I suspect the root of the answer really is the social aspect of the group...
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline chippermonks

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 11:41:52 PM »
I really love character creation and world building. So much as to often roll up the odd character that comes to mind. I love making whole words from scratch and find it to be an excellent creative outlet. Since I was little, running my first games with rmc, I always made homebrewed worlds with custom maps and unique plot lines...some better than others. Though I did recently -the last two years or so- play in the shades of darkness setting, it still ended up heavily altered. Some of my favorite games are the first session where we talk about character ideas!

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »
As a sidenote: For MMORPGs there is a character theory chart like explained in the Bartle Test article on Wikipedia. Some of it might also be applicable to normal RPGs, e.g. the general types of players and their typical goals.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 10:03:32 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, I enjoy world-building, creating characters and writing stories. As such, I don't like playing and almost only GM, enjoying having players beta-testingproviding other opinions about my world, and making it evolve in directions I didn't predict.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 12:01:29 PM »
note that number crunching/math gets zero votes.  We RM fans obviously do not mind it as much as some, yet we still would prefer not to. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »
You know, I love creating the characters, world, story, etc... but I actually would rather play than be a GM (which is why if I win the lottery I'll become a full time RPG designer!).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »
I am the opposite.  I would rather GM than play most of the time.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 04:01:51 PM »
Bad accents, talking like a damn fool and hanging out, all while being (hopefully) a bad muther...SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

...or instead of Hero (tm), a bumbling idiot with unlucky dice/negative karma.  It's gonna be your turn sometime, but that one players turn ALL the time.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 01:23:40 PM »
Tale telling pure and simple.

I love GMing .... really can't remember the last time I played and the ability to set a scene/plot/setting/location that has come from my head and then watch my players deal with it ,,,, and collectively tell a story in the process .... Pure GOLD!

Sadly living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, as I do, doesn't really provide the best of options in terms of getting a group of gamers ....  :-[
**Interested in some Rolemaster Actual Play Sessions to watch - check out https://www.youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes ***

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »
I'm a day dreamer. I love the gaps between gaming sessions just anticpating what will come next and how my character will react and cope.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 05:09:14 AM »
You forgot one option:

Camaraderie and fun.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.