Author Topic: Downloaded, extracted, but can't connect using the ERA-RMFRP.exe  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
So I extracted the files, so they are in an ERA directory. 
I clicked the UpdateERA.cmd file, and a box flashed up quick - so I think it updated.
But when I click the ERA-RMFRP.exe it pops open a browser and gives me the message:

"Hmm, we can't reach this page.

Try this
•Make sure you’ve got the right URL: http://192.168.1.3:7777
•Refresh the page
•Search for what you want"

So it can't connect to the server.  Any suggestions?

And should the Arms, Character/Core, and Spell Laws be extracted to any special directory?

Thanks,
Mal

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Downloaded, extracted, but can't connect using the ERA-RMFRP.exe
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:24:53 AM »
Let's see if we can get you unstuck from that situation.

First of all, running the update is only required if you had downloaded previous versions of ERA RMC and want to keep using any old characters, or customized files.
So in your case, there is no need for it. And no harm in executing it either, so we can rule that out.

If your browser opened and tried to go to that URL, it means that the server is up and running, since opening the browser is the last step when starting ERA.
Somewhere in your open programs there should be one caleed "ERA - Web Server", you could try looking for a d10 icon in your taskbar. It's important to check that it presents a text box with something like:
"
ERA is running in server mode.
To access the application, launch your browser and go to
http://192.168.1.3:7777/ERA
"

If that is the case, then the issue could be related to your Windows firewall.
The first time you start ERA, Windows normally warns you that the application is trying to allow incoming connections. This is required since ERA is a web application. If you did not see this dialog appear, you could try closing "ERA - Web Server" and starting it again.

If you chose "No" when the Windows firewall appeared, you must now manually change that.
You would need to open the firewall and allow "era-server.exe" before trying again.

About the Arms/Character/Spell files, don't worry. Once you get the application to show in your browser, there's a simple installation assistant for that.

Let me know if you can get it working with that information, or if you need any additional assistance.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »
I turned off my firewall completely with no change.

If I double click on ERA-RMFRP.exe  I get one large box pop up saying ERA - Instuctions.  ERA is running in server mode.  Over the top of this two slim boxes pop up and vanish pretty quickly.
Information says  startup failed.  And another Information box saying ERA server is starting.
And I get Spartan to open up with the previous message saying to "try....".

If I go to the Server folder, which is below main ERA folder, and click on ERA-Server.exe I get all the same things happen, except I don't get a browser window popping up.

Under the ERA folder are ERA, RMC, RMFRP and Server folders; and ERA-RMC.exe, ERA-RMFRP.exe, ERA-Windows-10May2015.exe, Installation_Instructions-4April2015.txt, Update.log, UpdateERA.cmd files. 
Under the second ERA folder is another RMFRP folder, which contains an empty Configuration folder.
Under the RMC folder is Adventures, Characters, Configuration folders; and ERA-RMC-Settings.conf.
The RMFRP folderhas Adventures, AttackFumbleColumns, AttackTables, BackgroundOptions, Characters, Configuration, CriticalTables, Professions, Races, Spells folders; and ERA-RMFRP-Settings.conf file.
The Server folder has a Resources folder, and ERA-Server.dat, ERA-Server.exe, ERA-Support.log, readme.txt, stderr and stdout.

Thats pretty much all the information I have.

Any suggestions?

Mal

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »
Are there any errors that pop up in Event Viewer if you are running Windows?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »
Hmmm.  Not sure what the Event Viewer is.  ERA-Instructions rectangular box stays up, saying I am not connected.  I get two slim ERA-Information rectangular boxes that flash up quickly and vanish saying I am not connected and connecting.  And then the browser pops up saying "Hmmm, can't reach this page..."

Is there a non-server mode by the way?

Mal

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 08:13:50 PM »
If you are running Windows do a search for event viewer and it should give you info on errors that happen on your PC.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline ardem

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 05:00:31 AM »
Same issue here. Web Server starts, then launches chrome and trying to look for http://192.168.0.50:7777/ERA however it just spins and spins until time out.

I did a netstat and I can see it listening on port 7777, however not answering. I also turned off the firewall and had it on and check that that the firewall allows access which are ticked. Still no go.

I also tried http://127.0.0.1:7777/ERA but no go there either also tried with internet explorer and not chrome and no go there.

Version i downloaded is ERA-Windows-10May2015.exe, however tired ERA-RMC-Beta.exe as well and no go.

Check Event viewer and no error messages.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »
NOW WORKS-

I'm running Windows 10, and it upgraded to 10122 yesterday.  And I can log in by putting the netaddress in manually. 

So when will Arcane, Channeling, Essence and Mentalism Companions be developed?  :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 12:25:42 PM »
So the problem was W10, I am not surprised as it is still a work in progress.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 08:43:27 AM »
@ardem: are you using Windows 10 as well? If so, was it fixed for you with the upgrade mentioned by Malleable?

If not, please confirm the text you get in the ERA-Server box after starting up.
Thanks

@Malleable: that's the second request I get for Essence companion this week!
Once we attend to all the different issues for new users, I intend to release an update with better support for "cultures", which will be a free upgrade for all who purchased RMFRP Character Law. Then, we might consider additional books, might be a poll before starting, to make sure we focus on the most populars first.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 01:22:13 PM »
Voriig,
Sounds good. I want every supplement you will can put out. 

Mal

Offline radarthomas

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 06:13:53 PM »
I can't connect to the server. I'm running Windows 8.1 on an Alienware V14. When it first tries to connect it tries to connect to 192.168.0.6:7777 I get
This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.
Try:
Reloading the page
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

When I change the connection to 192.168.1.3:7777 I get:
This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.3 took too long to respond.
Search Google for 192 168 7777 ERA
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

The Folder is on the desktop and nothing I do will get a response other than the above.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 06:39:37 AM »
@radarthomas could you tell us about what you get in the main ERA server window? See my previous comment, quoted below:
If your browser opened and tried to go to that URL, it means that the server is up and running, since opening the browser is the last step when starting ERA.
Somewhere in your open programs there should be one called "ERA - Web Server", you could try looking for a d10 icon in your taskbar. It's important to check that it presents a text box with something like:
"
ERA is running in server mode.
To access the application, launch your browser and go to
http://192.168.0.6:7777/ERA
"

If that is the case, then the issue could be related to your Windows firewall.
The first time you start ERA, Windows normally warns you that the application is trying to allow incoming connections. This is required since ERA is a web application. If you did not see this dialog appear, you could try closing "ERA - Web Server" and starting it again.

If you chose "No" when the Windows firewall appeared, you must now manually change that.
You would need to open the firewall and allow "era-server.exe" before trying again.

Also, you could try, after starting the server, to go to:
http://localhost:7777/ERA
and see if that improves the situation.

The most important thing you can do to help us find the reason, is to check the message in the ERA server window, and also check if there is a "ERA-Support.log" file in the /Server directory of your installation.

Thanks for contacting us about this.