Author Topic: ERA - How customizable?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
ERA - How customizable?
« on: June 18, 2015, 12:30:36 AM »
I have yet to download and play with ERA, but a main question I have is: How customizable is ERA?

For my campaign world, I have drastically altered the method of skill and spell acquisition to a point that is NOT RMU or RMFRP or RMSS or RMC or RM2.  Although highly based on the RMU system, it is still quite different.

Thus, how customizable is ERA?

Thanks for any advice.

rmfr

P.S. - I'm off to download and begin playing around with ERA.  Unless it costs too much money...
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA - How customizable?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 06:26:39 AM »
Thanks for giving ERA a try!

The base product is free, and contains sample files that you can customize.
The "paid" part of ERA is the set of Attack Tables, Criticals, Spell Lists, Fumbles, Professions, Races...

You could in theory create all of your files without spending a single cent, and that is part of the idea of the product. This of course is more cumbersome and requires some technical skills, since all configuration files use XML format.

This thread is where all the "under the hood" questions are posted. You may add your own if those already there do not accomplish what you need.
It would be great if you could post there if what has already been asked is not enough for your intended customization, so that the answers can be all bundled in that thread.

Also, if you haven't downloaded any version up to now, I'd recommend trying the latest beta version, which has some additional features not yet included in the one available through RPGNow. It may take a week until we upgrade the public one, at which time we will also add all RMFRP Cultures for those who purchased Character Law, and all Large and SuperLarge criticals for those who purchased Arms Law and Spell Law, both for RMC and RMFRP.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 12:43:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Currently I am wanting to look into the free version.  That would probably be best for me since my campaign world does rewrite quite a bit of how the current RMU system works.  Thus, I would only need the basic version and how to write mine one XML files.

Thanks for the "under the hood" link.  I'll give a look over and see if I can figure out how to incorporate my campaign world into the ERA.

I may also pay for the latest beta version since it will include the XML files for my inspection.  Also, it may be easier to modify the existing files instead of completely rewriting them.

Thanks, dude.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:03:40 AM »
The current version of ERA supports both RMC and RMFRP, but not yet RMU. I intend to start with it once I finish reading the new beta books.

The only XML files available for inspection and customization are those included in the free base product. Due to the need to protect ICE's IP, the additional book files sold on RPGNow use a different format, which is encrypted, an totally unrelated to XML.
That said, since the RMU Beta is free to download, it might be that I could get permission from ICE to offer all files as XML for RMU, at least until they start selling RMU books.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:06:58 AM »
The current version of ERA supports both RMC and RMFRP, but not yet RMU. I intend to start with it once I finish reading the new beta books.

The only XML files available for inspection and customization are those included in the free base product. Due to the need to protect ICE's IP, the additional book files sold on RPGNow use a different format, which is encrypted, an totally unrelated to XML.
That said, since the RMU Beta is free to download, it might be that I could get permission from ICE to offer all files as XML for RMU, at least until they start selling RMU books.

Actually, I'd prefer to keep ICEs IP protected.  What I would like is to know what the program (the EXE file) looks for in the XML files.  As long as I know this, I can write mine own XML files as long as I know what XML tags and associated attributes the EXE file looks for.  Then I can keep the XML files protected for mine own use.  Perhaps, I could upload them to you specifically for you to use as guides?

Thanks for the feedback.  It is much appreciated.

rmfr

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 09:30:51 PM »
The different XML structures should be evident by opening the different configuration files provided in the free package, or at least that was my intention.
The advanced customization thread even has some examples for the inner elements of some files.