Author Topic: Drinking a potion while engaged in melee  (Read 2427 times)

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
Drinking a potion while engaged in melee
« on: December 05, 2015, 09:51:29 PM »
I have a PC that is wishing to drink a heal potion while engaged in melee. I have ruled this as a moving maneuver (Extremely Hard) for success. How would each of you handle this situation? I know in many d20 games GM's allow this on a pretty regular basis but to me it seems like a very difficult move unless you can free yourself of the melee condition.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Drinking a potion while engaged in melee
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »
If you call it a 30-40% activity, the PC will suffer a penalty of -30 to -40 on their attacking/parrying for the round. I assume the PC is already at a disadvantage, otherwise they wouldn't need to drink a healing potion. I don't know that additional penalties need to be piled on.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 04:55:42 AM »
In our group we're allowing a prepared herb to get picked out of a herb pouch and ingest it as a 50% action during a round. In a similar way I think we'd allow a potion to get fetched out of some container in easy reach and drunk. This 50% activity requirement means that melee combat, e.g. parrying, would not be possible. If there was some way for the character to have the potion very quickly available, like some kind of potions belt (never seen such as this), then you could reduce the required percentage below 50%. If you don't like that idea then simply don't allow such equipment.

Just my 2 cents

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:48:35 PM »
10 Second round I'd say 50% activity and I'd probably modify the MM roll based on the degree of success of any attacks made on the PC.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »
Thank you all for your comments. Running an adventure and having to make these decisions gives me ideas for what I would do as a player. I would hire a leather crafter to make a potion pouch similar to an ammo pouch to cut the activity down to 2 to 4 seconds. 

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 04:23:44 PM »
And get some damage resistant vials!
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 10:20:46 PM »
A lot does depend on where the potion viles are being carried. If they are readily accessable a 30-40% penalty seems fine. Though if the person is in the middle of a melee in the heat of the combat hopes the character graps the right vial :)
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 07:33:06 AM »
I had a character once that had a single does vial welded onto the back of a gauntlet. I could then pull the cork with my teeth and drink the dose.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 02:09:12 AM »
We play that taking a "readied" potion (can't be in your backpack...) is a 20% action. I thought I read that in one of the rule books, but can't remember where. Some potions/herbs only make sense to use during combat (like stun relief), so I think it should be allowed with at least no more than a 40% action (which would still let you attack/parry). A 20% action lets you use press and melee or react and melee as well - or cast a spell (though not prepare one).
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline Jacinto Pat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »
Remember that if the potion(s) are available they are open to being damaged (climbing, being jostled in the street, combat, you want to crawl up on the enemy on your belly -- while wearing a vest full of potions?) and have fun with fumbles (drop the potion!  grab the healing potion when hoping for invisibility!).  Lots of opportunities to have fun when the players get too clever by half...

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:45 PM »
We play that taking a "readied" potion (can't be in your backpack...) is a 20% action. I thought I read that in one of the rule books, but can't remember where. Some potions/herbs only make sense to use during combat (like stun relief), so I think it should be allowed with at least no more than a 40% action (which would still let you attack/parry). A 20% action lets you use press and melee or react and melee as well - or cast a spell (though not prepare one).
When i use to play with the activity percentages, i ruled it as a 20% action. Since i have moved to the d20 round, i rule it as a move equivalent action.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 03:39:29 AM »
And get some damage resistant vials!

Preferably with the Unbreakable feature.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 01:29:55 AM »
We play that taking a "readied" potion (can't be in your backpack...) is a 20% action.

We use the same rule, works very well!  There is also a bandoleer option that we use specifically for potions/scrolls.  This would take 5% to 10% off the action (being so readily available on your chest) and ready to pull.  ;) Rummaging around in your backpack to pull it requires 100% action.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."