Author Topic: Waiting Illusions, How many can be cast without being triggered  (Read 1310 times)

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Waiting Illusions, How many can be cast without being triggered
« on: January 27, 2016, 09:43:25 AM »
I have a player who is an Illusionist and he wants to cast multiple Waiting Illusions that each trigger on a specific action. He also has Store Spell and a Waiting Illusion that he cast after the 5 other Waiting Illusions were cast. The spell only specifies that the Duration is 24 hours and can be released on a trigger that the caster determines and can be cast upon oneself.

Is this exploitation, genius or is there something in the rules that regulates this?
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Waiting Illusions, How many can be cast without being triggered
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:03:51 AM »
I don't see any limitation on the number of 'Waiting' spells she can cast.  Granted if its an illusion, then its not mobile.  If she's casting a Phantasm of the Waiting variety she could only give it a simple command - such as attack or fire at anyone who enters.  I'd think a few phantasms could attack a person, but they would probably all pile on the first person entering an area rather than spread out.  And I think the GM could limit the number that can effectively attack one person at a time.  Now if she created a horde of archers then they could all unload on the first person.  Or form a shield wall and poke anyone that attempts to pass would be pretty effective.

I don't think this is exploitation, given that without the Illusionists control via concentration its just limited to a simple command.

Mal

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:23:39 AM »
The Illusion is intended to form a smoke screen with an irritant or a "Smoke Bomb" when triggered. Which was effective during one encounter. He has a Talent that allows for effects on spells for 1 PP more.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:59:02 PM »
Sounds like effective and creative use of illusions to me.
I don't see it as an exploit at all, just a strength of the class.
I play a Wizard, and am all about Contingency and Auto Response.  Granted I can only have one spell waiting on each, but the Illusionist is really restricted in dealing with senses and how powerful the effects are.

Mal

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 08:34:46 PM »
Agreed. Since they only last up to 24 hours, he's limited by his power points, but if he has the chance to plan ahead it could be fun.

You can, of course, do the same to your players.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster