Author Topic: Commom Names of Races  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Zavala

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Commom Names of Races
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:00:36 PM »
Looking for a resource for the common names of the races, if there isn't a list what do other people use.

Do the Erlini, Loari, and Lineari use the same names or do they have different names.  Do they have first and last names?

The Mannish Races are mostly straight forward, but what about the Ahnasai, Rhiani, Y’nari, Jaaderi, and Sarnaki?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Commom Names of Races
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 09:06:47 PM »
Excellent question, and one I was going to pose.  Thank you for letting me know I am not clueless.   ;D

-BP

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:28:51 PM »
I'm clueless as well :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:28:30 AM »
I did ask a similar question about a year ago: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=15212.0

Not really sure if anything was definitely decided from it.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:13:18 AM »
I can't profess much system to the personal names. I'm certainly no Tolkien, who invented languages and then wrote a story around them. And I'm not close to even Pete, who worked on word structures for the Umli, and originated the dragon (which is twisted, yes, but I love it) and Muri-elven vocabulary.

When I make up names of people (or places) I try to keep in mind certain vowel sounds and vowel-consonant combinations. Certain letters/sounds are more common among the high men, as opposed to the various Elven races/cultures. Mannish names are more hard sounds while most Elven names  are more soft and fluid.

The Nuyani names are reversed from the general convention of most of Jaiman and northern Emer, with the family name first and individual's name after. E.g., Kyan Kim is Kim, of the clan Kyan.

Feel free to expand on this.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Zavala

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:55:38 AM »
I'll post this afternoon on what I have come up with so far, it's not finished but I am willing to share my thoughts.  The Tolkien names for his elves are unique but my players were amiss on how to pronounce them.  I am using the Gary Gygax Book of Names as a guide, which has worked out real well for me.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »
If there is a list of existing names, I have a "blender" of sorts which I feed names into and it creates generator files based on those names for Inspiration Pad Pro (which is free and randomly generates things like names). I will happily run lists of whatever through it if that's helpful.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Zavala

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »
Ahnasai - (These are names of the Ewe Culture in Africa.)
Male Names: Adika, Atsu, Cohfie, Kpodo, Kwami, Lumo, Mawuli, Mensah, Quaashie, and Yao.
Female Names: Afafa, Akosua, Ama, Dofi, Enyonyam, Lumusi, Mawusi, Nanyanika, Serwa, and Yaa.

Erlini (Used Gary Gygax's Book of Names to Generate Names.)
Male Names: Adril, Delgar, Dirin, Falrel, Ladgil, Lasmar, Narcel, Ornir, Rasilm, and Thirin.
Female Names: Aelwen, Beleth, Caerel, Eariel, Findeth, Lendel, Nithrien, Rindsil, Sindeth, and Thelmir.

Faun (Used Gary Gygax's Book of Names to Generate Names.)
Male Names: Besh, Drax, Ghul, Khal, Luss, Pan, Snik, Tal, Wyx, and Yimp.

Hirazi (Used Gary Gygax's Book of Names to Generate Names.)
Males Names: Flimaron, Flissando, Glimasto, Gossama, Lissondo, Miskaroll, Ressendo, Rillallo, Shimeron, and Weskaldo.
Female Names: Fossenti, Glaxafer, Glimmanel, Heximer, Ressarel, Ressifer, Shimerel, Tissefer, Trissamer, and Twillasti.

Laan (German Names)
Male Names: Andreas, Dominik, Friedrich, Lukas, Markus, Philipp, Rudolf, Stefan, Tobias, and Wilhelm.
Female Names: Anita, Christine, Frida, Julia, Katharina, Lillian, Mina, Nadine, Sabine, and Yvonne.
Family Names: Bauer, Fischer, Koch, Meyer, Neumann, Richter, Schmitz, Schwarz, Weber, and Wolf.

Nomari (Not sure where I found these names.)
Male Names: Bellak, Dunaar, Dwan, Geim, Gladim, Rotu, Thonus, Vaan, Valad, and Yedru.
Female Names: Bartu, Chaera, Eli, Hilta, Jarya, Kali, Morta, Rari, Tirra, and Yurra.
Clan Names: Fireaxe, Foebender, Gemfoot, Gravelhand, Graytracker, Ironoath, Silverblade, Stoneshadow, Strongfist, and Thunderheart.

Rhiani (Used Gary Gygax's Book of Names to Generate Names.)
Male Names: Amar, Assur, Dazuz, Eshtar, Ishme, Namhu, Nergal, Pisha, Puzur, and Urur.
Female Names: Aruru, Delondra, Elutil, Humusi, Inanna, Kammani, Lilith, Ninki, Siduri, Urbau, and Uttu.

Shay (English Names)
Male Names: Alan, Brice, Geoffrey, Henry, John, Nicholas, Philip, Reginald, Stephen, and Walter.
Female Names: Agnes, Beatrice, Cecily, Christiana, Eleanor, Isabel, Juliana, Margery, Rohesia, and Sabina.
Family Names: Brown, Davies, Edwards, Green, Hughes, Johnson, Robinson, Smith, Thompson, and Wright.

Talath (Dutch Names)
Male Names: Aert, Balt, Dirk, Giel, Koen, Meus, Piet, Saal, Thys, and Vaast.
Female Names: Aletta, Bianca, Elissa, Frieda, Josina, Iris, Jutte, Leida, Siska, and Tessa.
Family Names: Brill, Claar, Galle, Kalff, Maas, Ooms, Saal, Tefft, Veer, and Zelle.

Ynari Jho Yan (Korean Names)
Male First Names: Chol, Duk, Gang, Hon, Jang, Ki, Min, Nun, Tai, and Weon.
Male Second Names: Bok, Cho, Dae, Gui, Hel, Jae, Kun, Min, Sok, and Wan.
Female First Names: Aei, Choe, Eun, Hei, Ja, Mi, Na, Soo, Tae, and Yu.
Female Second Names: Ae, Bae, Dae, Gae, Hui, Jae, Mee, Nae, Su, and Yei.
Clan Names: The Jho Yan are clanless and have been stripped of this part of their name.

Still need ideas for the Loari and Lineari.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 08:15:42 PM »
If you want real names from particular languages, http://www.behindthename.com/ is a great source.

If you want made-up names that sound like they could come from those languages, I have African (mixed), Dutch, English, and German generators for IPP here: http://www.nbos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1092&sid=d213a0928913b5a68a6893909a6bb922

Also mixed Eastern European, Scottish, Ancient Greek, Ancient Roman, Biblical, French, Indian, Spanish, Turkish, Arabic, Finnish, and Russian, in case any of those sounds are promising.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »
i have a scrambler (without eggs) based on:
"lc -- language confluxer (http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~pound/revised-lc)"

actually an enhanced java port of sorts here:
https://github.com/terefang/langconflux

you may also look at: http://generators.christopherpound.com/
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]