Author Topic: Essence Companion Blade Store Spell  (Read 1614 times)

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
Essence Companion Blade Store Spell
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:17:14 PM »
The "Blade Store" spell reads, "Caster may store one spell on his weapon. No other spell may be cast while one is stored. This spell costs the same amount of PPs as the spell to be stored."

The question is about "No other spell may be cast while one is stored."

Do the authors mean that no other Warrior Weapon spell may be on your weapon or that the Warrior Mage is actually restricted from casting any spells at all if a spell is stored in the weapon?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Essence Companion Blade Store Spell
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:47:11 PM »
No other spell may be cast. Note that it's the same as the 1st level spell on the Spell Reins (closed essence) list (aside from using the weapon). Same restriction, same wording.

Also note that the Wizard has the same Spell Store effect (Arcane Companion, level 2 spell on Spell Coordination list), but also has Bypass Stored Spell as a 5th level spell, allowing the wizard to cast another spell despite having one stored (it just takes longer and more PP since they have to cast the Bypass spell first).

What's not stated in the Blade Store description, but which is stated in the Spell Store description, is that the stored spell may be cast later as an instantaneous spell. Blade Store doesn't say anything about how the stored spell is used. I would treat it the same as Spell Store. You get quite a nice advantage, at the cost of losing some flexibility.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »
I treat these as Instantaneous spells that are "already cast", and thus do not need a second spell casting maneuver upon releasing. That however, is probably my just my own house rule.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:39:29 AM »
Btw the Magestaff spell list treats stored spells quite differently.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:21:03 AM »
I treat these as Instantaneous spells that are "already cast", and thus do not need a second spell casting maneuver upon releasing. That however, is probably my just my own house rule.

That's what we've done as well, actually.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster