Author Topic: A Question on Art Costs  (Read 1822 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
A Question on Art Costs
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:25:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure the answer to this is going to boil down to "more than can be commercially justified for me" but what would be the sort of cost for a single piece of colour artwork that portrays a single item, e.g. a book, a sword etc. together with full rights to that artwork?
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: A Question on Art Costs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:42:31 AM »
I was discussing this with my wife (we are helping a local con out and looking at cover art for the booklet).  She mentioned that we look at local colleges or high schools.  Some real talent is available, and they might do it for cheap.

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »
I've heard that before, but I've no idea how you'd go about it.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:47:47 PM »
Depending on the style and quality you need, and whether you need pictures of very specific items or just want "a sword", it's not too hard to render them, maybe toss the result through an artistic filter. In that case you just need to find/buy 3D models (with free ones you also have to check if they are free for commercial use).

E.g. rendered using Reality for Poser, run through PostworkShop and layered over the originals, posted at reduced resolution. This is probably an unnecessarily convoluted workflow though.

Aside from that, I would suggest wandering through DeviantArt and look for someone with a suitable style that looks like they are not a highly-paid professional, then message them and ask. There are a lot of people who will do commissions, but it's not always cheap.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 04:46:40 AM »
Message me privately or email me for information if you wish.

Cheers,
Rick.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 09:01:38 AM »
I've heard that before, but I've no idea how you'd go about it.

What we did was contact the local High Schools and asked to speak with the Director of the Art department.  We also did that with the local Junior Colleges.  We are hoping to get enough interest to hold a contest.  We have a small (very small) budget for art and are offering a $50 cash reward with some product we are getting donated by local gaming stores.

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 09:04:49 AM »
I don't really have any knowledge of high schools. Actually, I don't really know what one is - UK school terminology has changed so much since I last went that it's meaningless to me, never mind US. Colleges, maybe; I do know of a couple, but they still might not be the same thing.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 09:16:03 AM »
I don't really have any knowledge of high schools. Actually, I don't really know what one is - UK school terminology has changed so much since I last went that it's meaningless to me, never mind US. Colleges, maybe; I do know of a couple, but they still might not be the same thing.

I do not know about the UK equivalents, but here my wife pulled out the phone book, called the school offices and set up meetings.  We met with the Principal and spoke about the project.  Then meetings with the Art department were set up (usually in the same meeting).  We ran about 80% positive.  Only one Art Director refused to meet with us, but it was a Catholic School and I think the person was afraid of "demion worship".  I thanked the headmaster fr their time and walked out without a debate.  I was called with an apology from the Headmaster and I told them I did not want to cause issues.

It all starts with a call.  I know it might be awkward at first but practice with someone you trust. Then pitch the proposal like you you a business deal.  You would be surprised how many schools would be positive to the deal.  As I said we hit about an 80% positive rate.  Then two school reached out to a few more.  Now we have around 15-20 potential projects to choose from.

-BP