Author Topic: Keeping Heavy/Light Crossbows readied, what cha think???  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Keeping Heavy/Light Crossbows readied, what cha think???
« on: March 07, 2016, 10:08:04 PM »
How long should you/could you keep a heavy crossbow or a light crossbow readied? I was thinking that when PC's start to travel they would unload their crossbows.  What is the historic way that people did this? (keep to Crossbows of the time, not today's carbon-fiber).  I can understand it being readied throughout a dungeon but what about all day? week? year?

Thanks!
Jason
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Keeping Heavy/Light Crossbows readied, what cha think???
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:23:55 PM »
We do recommend that if you break from your hunt that you let the bow down to the un-cocked position by shooting a target arrow into a safe backstop. It would be good practice to let the bow down every 4 hours relax it for about ½ hour.
Barnett Crossbows | FAQs
www.barnettcrossbows.com/faqs
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:29:14 PM »
As far as players and random encounters, do they usually start having to load bows/Xbows? or do you simply allow them to be loaded all the time? I guess that is the crux of the question.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 01:13:15 AM »
I just make a breakage check for each day they do this. If the weapon fails the check, I apply a -5 to the weapon. It won't happen often or fast.... but if they choose to do this, they will eventually have a Cross bow (or bow for that matter) that losses it's strength.

Especially if the game progresses through days of travel. 2 weeks pass.. you kept your crossbow loaded all the Time? Thats 14 checks.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 09:12:48 AM »
We do recommend that if you break from your hunt that you let the bow down to the un-cocked position by shooting a target arrow into a safe backstop.
Barnett Crossbows | FAQs
www.barnettcrossbows.com/faqs

Safe backstop?   Oh, the rogue in the party!  Got it.   ;D

-BP

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »
With a loaded and cocked crossbow, there's always a chance it could accidentally go off, and a chance the bolt could fall out. If you are walking around with your loaded and cocked crossbow in your hands, on a nice even floor, the chance is negligible. But if you stumble on something, and certainly if you need your hands free to get across a narrow ledge or climb over rubble, it could be greater.

If you take the bolt out, you won't accidentally shoot anyone but the crossbow could still accidentally dry fire, which is not great for the crossbow and even worse for your fingers if they happen to be in the wrong place.

A misfire, with or without the bolt, could also be startling if it happens while you are trying to concentrate on something (like balancing while crossing a narrow ledge).

I would say for normal walking around, let them do it. If there is any situation where they need to make a moving maneuver, roll and check for a fumble (same chance as a fumble in combat) which represent the chance of it going off. Likewise for other situations with movement and they need their hands, e.g. while on a horse. If there's a situation like the narrow ledge, they might take a penalty on the moving maneuver or make an extra roll for it because they were startled.

Warl's idea of breakage checks leading to a small penalty as the string stretches is also a good one.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 06:26:45 AM »
All very good ideas, thanks!!! ;D

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »
For normal moving around I would have a random percentage (say 20%) that the crossbow is in its resting mode and unloaded and cocked. Of course, you can just rule that for extra tension. (See what I did there? Ha!)

PS: I can't use any of the controls (bold, italics, emojis, etc...) in Edge (Windows 10 IE program).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 02:58:08 PM »
My players are fairly reasonale and keep their crossbows cocked while walking, loaded while cautiously walking, and uncocked while riding. I allow a 30% load maneuver for a cocked crossbow.
I like all of the suggestions above for handling careless crossbow keeping :)