Author Topic: Xtreme Terminology Question  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Xtreme Terminology Question
« on: June 03, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »
I know very little about ships, though I was once certified in Catamaran boating. Anyway, I'm a bit confused about the change in terminology regarding weapons on the right side of the ship depending on whether the gunner is in the bow or the aft. I though right was always starboard, so the use of "starport" and "aft starboard" is a little weird to me. I have done a search on the forums for "starport" and the threads I found weren't about sides of the ship. Anyone know the reasoning behind this choice? Thank you.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Xtreme Terminology Question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »
Starport would be a typo.

Port is left side when facing forward; starboard is right side.

Aft starboard would be referring to rear righthand side.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Xtreme Terminology Question
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 07:35:55 PM »
Forward on the right side is the starboard bow. Aft on the right side is the starboard quarter. Midships on the right side is the starboard beam.

That said, if you use "quarter" and "beam" in a sourcebook without any explanation, you'll probably confuse a lot of people. Especially if the sourcebook is part of a game system where people use beam weapons.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula