Author Topic: Video request of CEATS in action  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
Video request of CEATS in action
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:19:52 AM »
I would love to see how someone handles/manages CEATs. I mean actually see. While I really like some aspects of it, the pragmatics of implementation is what holds me back.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline njharman

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Troll and Flame Blog
Re: Video request of CEATS in action
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:20 PM »
Ditto
http://trollandflame.blogspot.com/

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »
This is even easier with pre-RMU RMs.

Just divide the round into 10 seconds, 10% action possible per second.  Initiative is the tie breaker within each second on turn order.  Actions can carry over from one 'round' to the next.  Roll a new initiative after each action.  (I'd suggest when someone is only moving you roll an initiative as if that entire window of movement is it's own action).

You can get more complex than that if you want, but it seems from your other post that movement and actions (your players getting in each others way - which should be alleviated by using initiative) is your concern and this test should give you your answer.

We just kept track of each players next action second (what second they would actually take an action aside from movement) to know who had an action coming up.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Camel1918

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 06:36:06 PM »
A video showing how CEATS works would be great.
I am looking for the optional tracking form that is mentioned in Joel Lovell's explanation of CEATS from the Guild Companion July 1999 issue. Anyone know where I can get it from?

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 11:14:09 PM »
I use a slightly Modified Form of CEATS in my own regular game, Which is an Online Game using Maptools.

I would do a video for you if I was able to do something that technical..(Might look into using twitch)

But "Showing it" isn't quite that simple.
Firstly, in My game, we have created a Macro to determine what a person's Action time is. Movement is basically handled second by second, Anyone can generally move and work on an Action at the same time, Moving 1/10th their movement rate each second, I have a penalty to the roll added based on how fast they are moving.

The Macro that determines how much time an action takes makes it easier and quicker for everyone than referencing the chart.

The Key is getting each player to Determine how much time their next action takes, after they have completed a previous action, so that they know when their next action takes place in the count.

If I can help any, Let me know.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 11:38:28 PM »
I tried CEATS once.

Balked.

Ain't never looked again.

Could try a video...

Anyone...?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »
It's not a complex system at all, surely no more complex than having learned RM in the first place, everyone merely needs to stay focused and pay attention to what's going on (which you can't teach in a video).  I suspect it's more trouble for someone to create a video for you than it is to just try it.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss