Author Topic: Skill Flexibility  (Read 2115 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Skill Flexibility
« on: September 19, 2016, 04:06:38 PM »
Could a human character use this talent to reduce his cost for spells from 4 to 2 in general?
Could he use it to do it for one spell?

He still would have to have that spell in his sphere, right? The talent does not give access to an otherwise restricted spell, right?
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Skill Flexibility
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 02:45:34 AM »
One spell and it would have to be in a known Sphere. So this would work for a single Universal spell for a character belonging to a profession with nonfavoured Mystical skills.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
I would rule that differently. That it can apply to any spell (in or out of a sphere). This would give a little more benefit to being a human in the game as aright now it seems most people tend to gravitate to the other races  (including mixed races) because their racial abilities are more attractive. The human talents tend to loose their advantage as levels go up.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 09:53:11 PM »
I feel HARP actually makes humans an appealing race to play. Skill Flexibility is much better than ability you can't use until 2nd level.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 10:18:27 PM »
I personally think that racial talents should be a bit more flexible or that each race should have more racial talents to choose from. Each race should have something like 9 racial talents that they can choose their three allowed from. Maybe even include special talents that take up two racial talent slots.... Then allow 1 or 2 of those unused talents to be purchased at a later level with requirements.
Something like this would give even more diversity to each character.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 08:05:42 AM »
I personally think that racial talents should be a bit more flexible or that each race should have more racial talents to choose from. Each race should have something like 9 racial talents that they can choose their three allowed from. Maybe even include special talents that take up two racial talent slots.... Then allow 1 or 2 of those unused talents to be purchased at a later level with requirements.
Something like this would give even more diversity to each character.

Coming up with that many talents per race and have them equally appealing and of equal DP Value and having each race have a distinct set is a tall order. If characters have so much choice , then racial talents are just freebies, not common talents of a shared heritage.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:22:01 AM »

Coming up with that many talents per race and have them equally appealing and of equal DP Value and having each race have a distinct set is a tall order. If characters have so much choice , then racial talents are just freebies, not common talents of a shared heritage.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Most racial talents can already be purchased as separate regular talents and some cost less DP's than others. When creating a multi racial character I have actually researched the costs of the racial talents and found that the character could purchase certain ones for cheaper at a later date.
Here are all of the racial talents with their DP costs in parenthesis. Unique (Unq) means it is unique to that race:
Dwarve: Dense Musculature   (25), Dark Vision Greater (30), Stone Sense (Unq)
Elf: Enhanced Senses (10), Quiet Stride (20), Night Vision (25)
Gnome: Dark Vision Lesser (20), Natural Camouflage (Unq), Sense Magic (15)
Gryx: Lightning Reflexes (10), Dense Musculature (25), Night Vision (25)
Halfling: Blazing Speed (10), Extremely Nimble (15), Heat/Cold Resistance Minor (Unq)
Humans: Bonus Skill Ranks (Unq), Skill Specialization (10), Profession Adaptability (Unq), Skill Flexibility (Unq)

As you can see the costs are not equal for most of the races and since the unique talents do not have a cost we can only speculate.
TBH I think we need more talents overall to be added to the master list.
The point here is that most of the racial talents can already be purchased outside of a being a particular race. In fact the Gryx and the Elf races do not have any unique talents associated with them so their racial talents are not that distinctive at all.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:48:45 PM »
All races have to be within a certain range of total cost. Folkways adds more races, again with quite a few unique abilities.

Martial Law and College of Magics added more talents. Folkways will bring 22 new talents as well as 6 more skills, 10 new professions, 6 more cultures, and 11 new races.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 01:56:20 PM »
All races have to be within a certain range of total cost. Folkways adds more races, again with quite a few unique abilities.

Martial Law and College of Magics added more talents. Folkways will bring 22 new talents as well as 6 more skills, 10 new professions, 6 more cultures, and 11 new races.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

I am in anticipation for the Folkways book. I really hope it comes soon.

But 6 new skills? I may have to redo my automated PDF character sheet......

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 07:49:16 AM »
I'm just hoping Folkways gives me height and weight ranges for monstrous characters. Goblins are pretty easy to figure out a height modifier for, but the core doesn't tell me anything about their weight ranges. Oh, I guess I can do Centaur heights too.
#LotorAllura2024