Author Topic: Old Modules and Crazy Items  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Old Modules and Crazy Items
« on: March 16, 2017, 03:21:25 AM »
So I was reading my copy of Northern Mirkwood last night and I came across a treasure trove with very oddly noted magic items. For example, we had:
X4 staff of Firebolts
X4 staff of Windsurfing
+6 Staff of Dark Channels
20th level ring of spell storing
Etc

What the hell are these? I mean I can think of a few ways to parse some of those items, but does anybody know for sure what they were supposed to mean in more modern RM parlance?

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

Offline vector

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Old Modules and Crazy Items
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »
Tricky without seeing he context.

Perhaps the "X#" denotes a daily item, as in the "X4 staff of Firebolts" allows the caster to cast firebolt from the staff four times per day?

+6 Staff of Dark Channels? I'm not sure. A +6 Spell Adder for the Dark Channels list only? That would be rather overpowered. Maybe +6 to the BAR when casting from the Dark Channels list? That would seem a little random and weird.

I believe the "20th level ring of spell storing" would allow a single spell of up to 20th level to be "stored" within the ring as per the Spell Store spell on the Rune Mastery or Spell Reins list. That is a very awesome ring, so remember, "There are many magic rings in the world, Tywyll, and none of them should be used lightly!"

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
Sadly, the context is literally just a list of magic items you find in the treasure vault... :(

Okay, here is the full List:
12th level Spell-Storing Ring
x4 Staff of Firebolts
X4 Staff of Windrunning (?)
+4 Staff of Dark Summons
20th level Ring of Demon Mastery
20th level Book fo Path Mastery
Boots of Invisibility
Mace Gauntlets
Pouch of Water summoning (this one and the gauntlets they explain how they work).

Yeah, I kinda thought the 4X staff might be 4 x a day...though of course it could mean 4x damage (though that seems superinsane).

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:28:12 AM »
Sometimes... the Level 20 spell item meant you could have one Lvl 20 spell, or two Level 10 spells, or four, level 5 spells... etc.  The item can store 20 levels worth of spells.  I suppose it's up to interpretation, but we didn't allow four different level 5 spells.  It was a single level 5 spell you could cast four times a day.  Very very handy to have that ability especially if it was Fire Bolt or Earth Wall.

Boots of Invisibility

How did the party know they were there?  ;D ;D ;D
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 07:43:50 AM »
Sometimes... the Level 20 spell item meant you could have one Lvl 20 spell, or two Level 10 spells, or four, level 5 spells... etc.  The item can store 20 levels worth of spells.  I suppose it's up to interpretation, but we didn't allow four different level 5 spells.  It was a single level 5 spell you could cast four times a day.  Very very handy to have that ability especially if it was Fire Bolt or Earth Wall.

Boots of Invisibility

How did the party know they were there?  ;D ;D ;D
I wondered the same thing about the boots!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:02:02 AM »
Back in the day, any reference to a bonus meant it was either a PP Multiplier or a Spell Adder.
Monty Haul, yes!

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 03:48:51 PM »
Back in the day, any reference to a bonus meant it was either a PP Multiplier or a Spell Adder.
Monty Haul, yes!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure x4 means a x4 Power Point Multiplier and +4 is a +4 Spell Adder, in addition to the staff ability of casting the given spell as a charged item.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »
Monty Haul, yes!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure x4 means a x4 Power Point Multiplier and +4 is a +4 Spell Adder, in addition to the staff ability of casting the given spell as a charged item.

That seems reasonable. Would the spell item be considered a Daily item, and if so, how often? Or do you mean it would have charges like a D&D wand?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:46:32 PM »
Monty Haul, yes!

That seems reasonable. Would the spell item be considered a Daily item, and if so, how often? Or do you mean it would have charges like a D&D wand?

A standard RM magical staff is a charged item with 100 charges at full capacity, casting a spell up to 10th level.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.