Author Topic: Starstrike Anygood?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Starstrike Anygood?
« on: April 08, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »
So, I just picked up a bunch of old Spacemaster books. I don't have starstrike and I'm considering getting it.

However, is it any good? How does it play? Is it complicated like starfleet battles or something? How long does it take to play a game?

Offline JessicaEwers

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Starstrike Anygood?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »
I would say its quite simple. a lot to read, but it isn't really much when you apply it to a game. We did a small skirmish between a cargo ship (with 2 turrets of projectile cannons), and a squadron of 4 enemy fighters armed with blaster cannons. it took us about an hour and 15 minutes, but that included some pauses to get the rules right. I think if we did that same battle again, it would probably be about 45 minutes to play it. The general consensus was that we enjoyed it, worth the money I think, and the ship building rules are awesome

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 05:23:47 PM »
Best part is that it integrates fully with Spacemaster the RPG and armored assault, the vehicular combat game for SM.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline JessicaEwers

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 03:58:29 AM »
Best part is that it integrates fully with Spacemaster the RPG and armored assault, the vehicular combat game for SM.

Yep, we found that is a very good feature, its easy to move from starstrike straight to RPG and back again. We haven't combined it with armoured assault yet but I plan to at some point. I say both set of rules are worth the money

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »
We've had some real fun with integrating Armored Assault into Spacemaster. Whether it was an old pickup with a 50 cal. on it to a hovertank smashing through a brigade of Snee like in an Aliens movie, it was a blast.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »
I would say its quite simple. a lot to read, but it isn't really much when you apply it to a game. We did a small skirmish between a cargo ship (with 2 turrets of projectile cannons), and a squadron of 4 enemy fighters armed with blaster cannons. it took us about an hour and 15 minutes, but that included some pauses to get the rules right. I think if we did that same battle again, it would probably be about 45 minutes to play it. The general consensus was that we enjoyed it, worth the money I think, and the ship building rules are awesome
I remember that scenario.  The first shot from the aggressors rolled an 'E' critical with a 100 result on the cargo ship.  It was Rolemaster/Spacemaster at its finest.

The biggest issues with Startstrike and Armored Assault was how easy it was to min/max things.  Lasers are always best, unless you have MLA cannons.  CAT24 or 26 are always best.  If you breach 1000 tons, you might as well go to 99,999 tons, etc.  I think a modern version of it along the lines of RMU could be really good though.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:37:56 PM »
I think a modern version of it along the lines of RMU could be really good though.

Definitely!