Author Topic: Adventures in the Sea of Rhun?  (Read 6013 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Adventures in the Sea of Rhun?
« on: May 24, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
I'm looking to run a Rolemaster adventure in the Sea of Rhun (in Tolkien's Middle Earth), and am wondering if anything was ever published for that area: maps, regional books, adventures, etc. I'm not really finding much. Any help is appreciated.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Adventures in the Sea of Rhun?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »
My group had ALL the middle earth adventure books, but I don't recall seeing a Rhun book tbh!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »
Perils on the Sea of Rhun was published as MERP module. Perhaps you can find it on ebay or so.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »
Nice! I wasn't aware of that one; I will definitely look for it!

Thanks very much!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline adanost

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Sailin' the waves
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »
You can look also on River Running that focus on the Dorwinion area, with lots of information on wine trading!
Ricard
Devoted GM

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »
You can look also on River Running that focus on the Dorwinion area, with lots of information on wine trading!

Oh, thanks so much! There is lots it there, and it is great. This will be perfect!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »
Ok, I ordered a copy of Perils on the Sea of Rhun, and I was able to look at a copy of the River Running. Both supply some great information. The one last thing I'm missing though is a good map. The back page of the River Running has a little inset map, but it doesn't have many features; and I'm not ruse if Perils has one at all. Does anyone know if there are any Fenlon-style maps (those wonderful maps used for so many of the old MERP modules) for Rhun?

Offline adanost

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Sailin' the waves
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 02:31:42 PM »
Perils has a one page map covering all the area from the Iron Hills, Carnen valley, Dorwinion and the Sea of Rhun.
Ricard
Devoted GM

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 02:58:48 PM »
Perils has a one page map covering all the area from the Iron Hills, Carnen valley, Dorwinion and the Sea of Rhun.

Great, thanks very much!

Offline erekosse

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »
map (ouf 4.2 out of 5mb)
 i remember a module never published (copyright ) the inland sea (try to find chris work, fan group work )
im not so very fan because sandbox too too overpowered in this zone by the "old ice writer" (as court of ardor etc..)
theory , dilema of blue wizard in this aera with dilema of morgoth's presence against sauron presence...(confusion of first age second age third age )
for me third age is the age of men, no magic etc..

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 02:25:42 PM »
Wow, that is great! I read the introduction, and it looks like it was a module on its way to publication until the bankruptcy of ICE. They then published it for free. They really did give a very detailed history of the region, which is perfect for me. Thanks so much for that!

Offline Tolwen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 04:30:59 PM »
You may also have a look at Other Minds Magazine (a free online Middle-earth magazine). Issues 14 and 15 have Rhovanion as a focus (in terms of demography). The latest Issue (#17) has been uploaded recently and has the following content (which may also partially be of help for you):
  • Middle-earth in miniature III: Terrors of the Old Days (miniature review)
       by José Enrique Vacas de la Rosa
  • Review: The Darkening of Mirkwood
       by Thomas Morwinsky
  • Review: Rivendell
  • Review: Ruins of the North
       by Thomas Morwinsky
  • First Seed of a Great Forest (adventure for TOR)
       by  Olaf “Falenthal” Anguera
  • Darkness over Amon Nyrn (adventure for TOR)
       by Paul Kirk
  • The Leofrings (heroic culture for TOR)
       by Paul Kirk
  • The Horse and the Rider (scholarly stuff plus TOR gaming stats for the rohirric military)
       by Paul Kirk
  • Urbanisation of Gondor and Rohan (scholarly thoughts on the urbanisation of Gondor in 11 eras)
       by Thomas Morwinsky
  • Creatures of Middle-earth: Were-worms (creature suggestion with TOR stats)
You can find the file on the OM website or under this direct link. Have fun with it and feel free to comment anything you deem worthwhile :)

For the OM team
Tolwen
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 11:08:02 PM »
Thanks very much for the link!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 01:25:56 AM »
Wow, that is great! I read the introduction, and it looks like it was a module on its way to publication until the bankruptcy of ICE. They then published it for free. They really did give a very detailed history of the region, which is perfect for me. Thanks so much for that!
So, you were able to find what he was referring to? Could you point the rest of us to it?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 07:02:43 AM »
I found it here: https://www.scribd.com/document/187560184/The-Inland-Sea-MERP-Module although you need to join to download it.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »
Yes, that's where i got it. I have only skimmed it so far, but it looks very good!

Offline erekosse

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/fan-modules/info  for some work on south or ormal bay etc 

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
Thanks very much for the link. It took me to a Yahoo site for a emailing list on MERP fan modules, but I couldn't see any files there. Is there a specific file I should be looking for, or were you suggesting I sign up for the emails?

Offline erekosse

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »
it s a Yahoo group  fan group merp
you have to sign and wait acceptation old stuff here but really interesting
some ideas

great work on map
work on east and south part of middle earth
work on scenarii
i upload you a fan adventurer guide sorry its in french . east land of middle earth work in progress
"Note de l’éditeur : Cela reste essentiellement un travail en cours, sujet à d’importantes modifications avant d’être achevé. Ce Guide du voyageur inclus de nouvelles contrées ainsi qu’une révision de l’ancien guide écrit par Pete Fenlon. Cela comprend des notes provenant des projets sur la Baie d’Illuin, la Baie d’Ormal, les Womaw et les Lochan menés par Cory Rushton, Gabriele Quaglia, Stéphane Hœrlé (avec d’éventuelles contributions de nombreux autres)."

fan editor note
it s a work in progress theis adventurer guide include some new aera , it s principally based on pete fenlon ' work guide , (contribution) some notes about illuin bay ormal bay womaw and lochan by cory Rushton gabriele quaglia stephane hoerle and some other

"La géographie est basée sur la carte alternative d’Endor tracée par T. Morwinsky. Il existe d’autres informations sur ces contrées, comme l’Empire Chyan ou le Mûmakan."

drawning geography on alternative map by t morwinsky and some others informations on chayn empire or mumakan

have fun!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 01:04:22 PM »
Merci beaucoup mon amie! I know a bit of French, so I might take a look at that guide.