Author Topic: weapon kata damage bonus  (Read 1509 times)

Offline louis77

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
weapon kata damage bonus
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »
According to the rules when you use a weapon kata you must add the difference between the maximum hits you can deliver on that specific AT with the weapon and the MA to the conussion hits you deliver.
So for example if you use Sweeps and Throws Rank 1 with a Whip on AT 15, you have a bonus of 8 (whip) - 4 (MA Rank1) = 4 concussion hits.
This wasn't changed in the years throughout all of the Compendiums.

I think this system has some problems: most of the lower AT armors have many "0" on lower and middle results given the defender's better chance to evade the blow at all. Even the higher AT armors have some "0" on lower results given their durability.
With this weapon kata rule, exeeded the unmodified failure range, with most weapon and MA combinations you could deliver always some concussion hits (a large number of them for some particular combinations).
Isn't that a bit too much?

Ok, you have more Fumble range (but you can reduce it advancing in the MA skill development), and you have -20 to your OB, but you never deliver 0 concussion hits.

Had anyone thought of a different way to increment the concussion damage using weapon kata?

Offline Duette-1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: weapon kata damage bonus
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:09:13 AM »
Had a long talk with my GM about this as he feels the dual crits are also too OP. The problem with hits though IMO is that its not just too easy to do too much damage its also such a faff to work out. One option, that significantly nerfs weapon kata but i think still makes them playable is to roll to hit on the weapon table with a top out set by the MA rank 1-4. After all you are striking with the weapon. Then either stick to the dual crits or allow the player to choose which table to roll on. That way it still allows players to use sweeps and throws without bludgeoning everyone to death with a stick! For me kata rules are not there to make super warriors they're there to a) allow MA characters to attack things that are MA resistant and b) look really really cool! You can keep or adjust the -20 mod depending on how hard you want to make it. Hope this helps.

Online OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 05:30:44 AM »
According to the rules when you use a weapon kata you must add the difference between the maximum hits you can deliver on that specific AT with the weapon and the MA to the conussion hits you deliver.
So for example if you use Sweeps and Throws Rank 1 with a Whip on AT 15, you have a bonus of 8 (whip) - 4 (MA Rank1) = 4 concussion hits.
Uh, what? I think you're doing it wrongly. As written in AL&CL, "…and the maximum number of hits that can be given to the AT being attacked by the martial arts attack table being used." There's absolutely NO mention of a notion of rank, but indeed "the maximum number of hits (of the) martial arts attack table"!
In your example, the additional damage is 8 (max. damage of a whip vs. AT15) - 8 (max. damage of MA throws vs. AT15) = 0!
Also, I believe that the additional damage are only to be added when the original damage is at least 1. At last, you may want to decide that this additional damage is not affected by damage multiplier (i.e. it's added after damage multiplier is taken into account).
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Duette-1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »
There's absolutely NO mention of a notion of rank, but indeed "the maximum number of hits (of the) martial arts attack table"!
In your example, the additional damage is 8 (max. damage of a whip vs. AT15) - 8 (max. damage of MA throws vs. AT15) = 0!

I would agree (only with fewer exclamation marks). Otherwise there's a danger that the lower your MA rank the more damage you do.

Online OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 05:10:52 PM »
I would agree (only with fewer exclamation marks). Otherwise there's a danger that the lower your MA rank the more damage you do.
Uh, what? How would that even happen? Just give me an example...
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Duette-1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 02:09:39 AM »
We appear to be at crossed purposes. Hopefully by accident. I was merely agreeing with you that you have to take the maximum damage not the max for rank into account for bonus damage. The best example i could give would be the correction you made to the  OP. I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is but if it is on my side please forgive me.