Author Topic: What system do you use with Shadow World?  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What system do you use with Shadow World?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 08:31:57 PM »
For me, the only way this could work is if it uses the HARP 20-fied rules; I just can't see the basic D20 rules being at all good for SW. (OK, you got me: I don't like in general...)

Yeah, I know there was a D20 conversion project that stalled.

I also agree basic D20 has its share of flaws and might feel out of place in SW. However, it is infinitely simpler to learn than any version of RM, and definitely easier to lure a 3.5 group with. I'm just lucky to have a group of players that have already tried the simpler MERP and are willing to learn and try the more complex RM.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 12:01:20 AM »
Yeah, I know there was a D20 conversion project that stalled.

I also agree basic D20 has its share of flaws and might feel out of place in SW. However, it is infinitely simpler to learn than any version of RM, and definitely easier to lure a 3.5 group with. I'm just lucky to have a group of players that have already tried the simpler MERP and are willing to learn and try the more complex RM.
I wasn't referring to any project that makes SW compatable with D20 rules, but the thing put out years ago where you use a D20 (just the die, not the rules system) for HARP, basically getting rid of the %-dice in favor of a D20. As a way to get them to convert from D20, I could totally see having the players make regular D20 characters, but you run the game using the HARP 20-fied rules. (I think it is in The Vault still.) Of course there will be some fiddling with how things are done (like creating a spellcasting skill which D20 doesn't have), but nothing too hard.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 05:39:58 AM »
Have been running almost a century with a RM2/MERP (German MERS) in SW.

But since i am posing as the Storyteller for a group of teens,
i have switched to a homebrew based on Ubiquity(AFO),
with elements from Burning Wheel, ArsMagicka and
World of Darkness (Sorcerer/Mage).

mfg
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline kyussopeth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 08:53:13 PM »
I agree with those saying that the RM rules are part of the flavor of the setting especially the settings magic. Any other rule set must be able to emulate the feel of the setting. For me that means the supernatural stuff mainly. 3.x derived D&D is a bad fit for the other stuff that RM does. Low-level 3rd ed. is lethal, but (correct me if I am wrong) low level characters in RM, under the right circumstances, still have a puncher's chance against a higher level threat. This is not true in standard 3rd ed. a 10th level fighter can kill 20 or 30 1st level anythings in a few rounds & a 15th level spell caster is exponentially more powerful. However changing the d100's in RM into d20's and maybe streamlining character creation/advancement would bring in some d20 gamers.

I think a d20/ogl conversion is a little too late now. I could be wrong.

Offline xenus

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 11:08:24 AM »
I agree with those saying that the RM rules are part of the flavor of the setting especially the settings magic. Any other rule set must be able to emulate the feel of the setting.
Tried RM as a system to see how it works and it is very old school.  The magic style is the tricky bit for a conversion along with the mentalist aspect.  3e/Pathfinder is quite a good choice as a popular system in the right genre and has the ability to cover the large power range.  Magic needs some work.  Recent extensions into technology cover that area.
My preferred system would be FATE but that would need a suitable magic system add-on to give the right feel.  Some examples already exist that could provide inspiration.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 04:45:11 PM »
xenus,
 welcome to the ICE Forums.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »
RM2 - I've been telling ICE for 20 years I have no need of a new rule system, I wasn't fooling.

:)
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **