Author Topic: Stun Stacking vs. Stun RR  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Stun Stacking vs. Stun RR
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »
Hi all,

Quick HARP question. If a stunned target is stunned again, for the purposes of the Stun RR, do I add both original stun round totals, current totals or make 2 separate rolls?

Bob was Stunned 3 rounds. During his second round of Stun, he is stunned for 3 more rounds. In round 3, does he resist vs 6 rounds, 4 rounds (1 of 3 and 3 of 3) or make 2 RRs (each vs. 3)?

Thanks,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Stun Stacking vs. Stun RR
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »
I have always played that you make one role stacking the remainder of earlier stuns with the current stun to determine how many to resist (your 2nd option), I think that is the official method but not positive.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:50:11 PM »
I have always played that you make one role stacking the remainder of earlier stuns with the current stun to determine how many to resist (your 2nd option), I think that is the official method but not positive.

that is how I have always played it too..
however..logically.. (and with far more book keeping and stun tracking involved) concurrently seems to be a more "real" answer
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »

Is there a ruling anywhere on this one?

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:30:41 AM »
Looking over the Rules it states that you can roll each round to throw off a multiple round stun from one critical and that the roll needed doesn't change.  It doesn't specifically state about multiple stuns from seperate attacks but based on the rules as written I would have to say that the concurrent rather than stacking of stun would be a better interpretation.  Definitely could use something official on this.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 07:41:58 AM »
I'll have to have Nicholas give the Official ruling on this.

My own interpretation has always been that every critical is handled separately.
Bleeds bleed individually
Penalties occur individually
Stuns require Stamina RR individually and are resisted individually.

As Sunwolf described and using the example in the book....
A 3 round stun needs to beat a 120 target.  The second round it is down to a 2 round stun, but is still goes against a 120 target.

Example:
2 Rounds where a 3 round stun and then a 2 round stun would be handled:
Round 1 (3 round stun received)
Stamina RR target = 120

Round 2 (2 round stun left from Rd 1, new 2 round stun during Rd 2)
First - Roll Stamina RR = 120 for Rd 1 carryover
Second - Roll Stamina RR = 110 for Rd 2 new injury
Note that the strike against the character during the second round should have had a +20 because the defender was already stunned.

Round 3  (1 round left from Rd 1 Stun, 1 round left from Rd 2 stun - assuming both failed RR in Rd 2)
First - Roll Stamina RR = 120 for Rd 1 carryover (if failed in Rd 2)
Second - Roll Stamina RR = 110 for Rd 2 carryover (if failed in Rd 2)

Being double stunned does not have any more significant effects other than the required extra RR roll to resist.

Rd 4 - Stuns are gone... back to normal assuming no additional stuns were suffered during Rd 3

Note that the penalties associated with being stunned apply from the time the damage is received through the character's next action (for each round).  If Joe wins initiative and delivers a Stun to Bob (failing RR), then Bob's attack that round is eliminated and he can only parry for the remainder of the round.  If Bob attacked first, but then received the stun from Joe in round 1, then the 1st round of the stun is actually realized in round 2.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »

Thanks folks. A little more paperwork but treating the wounds separately likely makes more sense (creatures and PCs with high RRs will shrug off numerous hits ... ).

Regards,
Old Man

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 02:59:28 PM »
Treat each wound individually (so do as Thom has explained) Consider that official.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 01:14:05 AM »
We handle it even another way. Only the highest stun counts, it is not accumulative for the RR or even the stunned rounds. Just my 2 Cents ;)
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu