Author Topic: HARP Fantasy now available with time-limited discount  (Read 10933 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Re: HARP Fantasy now available with time-limited discount
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
What's FLGS? (excuse my ignorance).

Friendly Local Game Store.  :)

Ah - Thanks :)

If I were anywhere near a friendly local game store (or even in the same county as one), that'd be my choice too - but the internet is my only friend. :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »
Although I am an RM fan through and through, I bought this as it won't break the bank and supports GCP.

When is the print on demand likely to be ready?

I have it in mind for my 9 year old son who "really really" wants to roleplay and also wants to GM (which he already does sans rules). Anyone have any experience in this regards, ie HARP for kids?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
Although I am an RM fan through and through, I bought this as it won't break the bank and supports GCP.

When is the print on demand likely to be ready?

I have it in mind for my 9 year old son who "really really" wants to roleplay and also wants to GM (which he already does sans rules). Anyone have any experience in this regards, ie HARP for kids?

Print-on-demand will probably take two to three weeks - we have to fix the formatting errors, I then reupload the interior, OBS and LightningSource reprocess it which can take a week, then I have to order proof copies which have to be printed and shipped to me which can take a week. If no problems, I then release the PoD versions for sale.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 02:18:24 PM »

The problem is being worked on even as we speak:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=11953.0

Note the author of the original post. I think we can safely assume that making this work has the attention of the very highest levels of ICE.

;)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline jd.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
2) Given the short majority in favour of buying it at FLGSs, are there any plans at the moment to publish it that way?
Depends on how well HARP Fantasy sells in pdf in the first few months of its release.
To which my egregious lack of common sense prompts the question, "will HARP be published in FLGSs if the pdf sells very well (the reasoning being that others will buy it in book form) or if it doesn't (the reasoning being that its potential market who't have been exhausted yet)"?

Writing this, I feel the second option sounds silly. But still.

What's FLGS? (excuse my ignorance).
Friendly Local Game Store.  :)
Thanks for the clarification, kreider204. (craggles, your ignorance needs no apologies as far as I'm concerned - it did take me some time to figure it out myself after first encountering it.)

If I were anywhere near a friendly local game store (or even in the same county as one), that'd be my choice too - but the internet is my only friend. :)
Wow, how tough for you. Good thing lots of friends are waiting for you here!

Also. People have begun pointing out typos and stuff, and beginning to read the previous version of HARP has prompted ideas for tweaks. Should I suggest them here, in the "Tweaks for HARP Fantasy core rulebook" thread, or later when another specific thread is up?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 03:45:52 AM »
2) Given the short majority in favour of buying it at FLGSs, are there any plans at the moment to publish it that way?
Depends on how well HARP Fantasy sells in pdf in the first few months of its release.
To which my egregious lack of common sense prompts the question, "will HARP be published in FLGSs if the pdf sells very well (the reasoning being that others will buy it in book form) or if it doesn't (the reasoning being that its potential market who't have been exhausted yet)"?

Writing this, I feel the second option sounds silly. But still.

I keep a separate count of how all our products sell in different formats, so there's a count for pdf versus all four formats of HARP SF Xtreme for instance. It's one of my administrative/management tasks for GCP. If HARP Fantasy sells well and quickly in pdf, then that means it is likely that a good number would buy in print (some folk only want print, some want pdf & print) and in a reasonable time frame. No one wants to print 500 or 1000 copies or more and have them take many years to sell through.

I have access to the Mjolnir sales data and to imprint partners who will give honest answers as to whether a print run will make them and us money. If it's the case that HARP needs longer to rebuild its strength (i.e. needs more books to be released, get more momentum going from new books), then we can postpone a print run until it is in a healthier state.

Also. People have begun pointing out typos and stuff, and beginning to read the previous version of HARP has prompted ideas for tweaks. Should I suggest them here, in the "Tweaks for HARP Fantasy core rulebook" thread, or later when another specific thread is up?

You may find that the tweaks have already been made to HARP Fantasy. The only changes that we will be making to HARP Fantasy at this point are formatting and typo correction. Likewise HARP Martial Law has been handed over to layout and so is closed to changes unless something absolutely critical is found.

Tweak suggestions for HARP College of Magics and HARP Loot: A Field Guide can still be made.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Widukind

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 06:15:58 AM »
Ok, i pay with Paypal. Where i can download the HARP Fantasy PDF File?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 07:45:43 AM »
Ok, i pay with Paypal. Where i can download the HARP Fantasy PDF File?

You can buy the HARP Fantasy pdf from www.rpgnow.com
(see http://www.rpgnow.com/product/104176/High-Adventure-Role-Playing-Fantasy)

Remember to use the discount coupon. RPGNow happily accepts PayPal.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline jd.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 04:29:28 PM »
I shall not procrastinate for much longer...

Before buying the pdf (I will also get the book in a FLGS), though, I'd like to know if the various typos spotted by my honorable fellow HARPers in the pdf will be corrected in a new version of said pdf and if so, when. (Not saying it should be one way or another; just curious.)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 04:56:06 PM »
They will be updated in the PDF and the print copies will be of the new corrected version.

When PDFs are updated, you'll be able to download a newer version from RPGnow.

It'll be a couple of weeks at the earliest for the print books to go through the One Bookshelf system to be ready to be ordered but the PDF will be updated a lot sooner than that. :)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
My review on RPG Now:
Disclosure: As a frequent ICE/GCP customer, I received this product at a reduced price. This has no bearing on my review, but it is worth noting.

This is the second edition (or third, depending on who you ask) of HARP, re-written to be compatible with HARP Sci-Fi. The changes are minor, but pervasive. Changes from the previous version include re-balancing of the races and professions, due to feedback from 8 years of playtesting.

-The new typefaces are easy to read and there is new interior artwork.
-Will feel familiar to Rolemaster players, but plays fast enough to hold the interest of other gamers. (This is a big plus in mixed groups)
-A POD version is in the works. This might actually be the book that gets me to try print-on-demand.
-Single roll combat resolution! (A big plus for people who are not fans of Rolemaster).
-Very few typos or grammatical errors. (Because, as a matter of fact, I AM the grammar police. )

Dislikes:
-No Hyperlinks or bookmarks in the PDF.
-Because of balance changes, the new rules are not backwards-compatible with previously released products in this line. (Such as "College of Magics").

Overview: No system is perfect, but this one comes close. I can't wait for more monsters, spells, and professions in future releases. Generally speaking, any book that leaves me wanting more gets high marks.

Score:  4 out of 5 stars
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Keen_Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »
Bought my copy looks great on my Nexus 7

Great book reminds me of my old MERP books

Spotted a couple format / typo errors like page 10 Available is hyphenated in the middle of a line. Those little errors always seem to sneak in at the last moment lol

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »
I shall not procrastinate for much longer...

Before buying the pdf (I will also get the book in a FLGS), though, I'd like to know if the various typos spotted by my honorable fellow HARPers in the pdf will be corrected in a new version of said pdf and if so, when. (Not saying it should be one way or another; just curious.)

As Craig indicated, these tiny glitches will all be fixed as long as they get spotted asap. There's a more vexatious formatting error that only appears in a print copy (both Craig and I have proof copies, Eric's are en-route to him), so we have to open the pdf to fix that, so we fix the lot in one fell swoop for pdf and POD. Anyone who has already bought the HARP Fantasy pdf, simply redownloads (no cost).

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 08:30:47 AM »
OK, I tried to get it through RPGnow, but it would never finish the transaction. So, I went to DrivThru RPG and it cost me $20*. Is there a reason for this? The code #  in the email did nothing for me, in fact it was said to be invalid or incorrect.

*I checked my account, and $20 was deducted for the transaction.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »
Aargh. There is discussion on the Briefing thread about this. You can either go in with the direct link to RPGNow or  carefully replace the RPGNow link with the different domain  It does work but you have sometimes to be stubborn to make sure it works and hit the right buttons to apply discounts.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »
The direct link works.  Putting in the code does not.  I can confirm this, because I got my copy for $5.  8)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline kreider204

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »
You may find that the tweaks have already been made to HARP Fantasy. The only changes that we will be making to HARP Fantasy at this point are formatting and typo correction. Likewise HARP Martial Law has been handed over to layout and so is closed to changes unless something absolutely critical is found.

I'm still a bit unclear about whether we can point out typos, and where we're supposed to do that, so I'll just put it here, and let me know if it should go somewhere else (or not at all).

In the gnome's dark vision (lesser) description, I believe the example is wrong.  I think it should say that the gnome in that example can see 40' (not 30') clearly ("twice as far as the light provides").

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 05:37:14 AM »

I'm still a bit unclear about whether we can point out typos, and where we're supposed to do that, so I'll just put it here, and let me know if it should go somewhere else (or not at all).

In the gnome's dark vision (lesser) description, I believe the example is wrong.  I think it should say that the gnome in that example can see 40' (not 30') clearly ("twice as far as the light provides").

Yes, you can point typos though do it quickly - they are being collected on http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=11970.0. Craig is winding up his InDesign to do a glitch purge, though.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 08:15:58 AM »
Yes, you can point typos though do it quickly - they are being collected on http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=11970.0. Craig is winding up his InDesign to do a glitch purge, though.

Yes - we're in the last days for corrections as I already have an initial list from Nicholas. :)

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »
Wonderful news HARP2 is available. I'll snag my copy sometime today. Thanks for this guys!

One question: are you guys open to producing a conversion guide from HARP to HARP2? Other companies have provided a bridge product, such as what WotC did when they transition from 3 to 3.5 and this allows us to manually make corrections and whatnot in our HARP books so they're still useful at the table.

Thoughts?

>>ReaperWolf