Author Topic: There is a reason I try not to go on kickstarter  (Read 4980 times)

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: There is a reason I try not to go on kickstarter
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 12:13:34 AM »
The pirate game looks good but they've just pulled the funding on it. Also it looks a bit too pricey for me. When they relaunch I'll take another look but £60 for a game that I've not played before is a bit too much for my taste.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
Yeah, I just saw that.  Read through the explanation and apparently Kickstarter doesn't play well with other countries sometimes.  I guess Amazon doesn't like the Kronar.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 11:58:17 PM »
I just found this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/magecompany/raid-and-trade it looks awesome and I want to pledge but I can't ever bring myself to buy a game that requires more than 2 players because I don't trust I'll be able to convince more than one person to play with me.

Sad face.

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 06:33:58 AM »
At this rate no one will get any Christmas presents this year!

It does look awesome though: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/842251343/helvetia-cup-and-more

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »
Simple solution, just buy them something off Kickstarter. :)
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
Simple solution, just buy them something off Kickstarter. :)

"I got you this thing....   it might ship in April next year....  if everything goes right...."

I have given gifts from Kickstarter but you have to order way in advance and then be patient about when to actually give it.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »
Yeah, I almost said something that, but it wouldn't have been as funny.

I'm not sure what annoys me more, the people who think they are buying a product off any old website or the companies that actually use it for that purpose *cough* reaper *cough*
- Cory Magel

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »
Create your own mini.  Pretty nifty product if it does well.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703677934/create-your-minis-3d-printed-miniatures
- Cory Magel

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »
That is cool. I've been looking at trying Shade to convert Poser/Daz Studio figures into 3D-printable figures. But haven't quite gotten to it yet. Want to get a bunch of things ready at once, since Shade has a 30-day free trial...

This board game has a clever solution to the gifting problem. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/raez/cogztm-and-ludicrous-cogztm-free-international-shi They will send out a PDF that prints and folds up into a gift box. (Picture in the 7th update.)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 04:12:05 PM »
I pledged for five minis which I'll use to replace the Omega Protocol team pieces.  As much as I'd like to pledge the $185 level I want to see if they turn out well before I take the plunge.
- Cory Magel

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 11:28:31 PM »
Uh oh... someone get the defibrillator.  My bank account is going to go into cardiac arrest.
Like running city based adventures?  Dwarven Forge is serving up a new platter of crack...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/dwarven-forges-city-builder-system
- Cory Magel

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »
I looked at those and I'm underwhelmed. I don't want roofs in the way, blocking the view, and figures can't stand on them anyway (unless you attach the separate one-figure stands) so it's not like it's usable space for rooftop combats. Meanwhile, where the dungeons had simple pre-attached walls and floors, the buildings have separate walls, floors, and even separate corner posts, so it seems like it will take a lot more time to put together.

Still, I'm keeping an eye on it because I would not be surprised to see some good stuff come up in the stretch goals....

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 01:29:29 PM »
I agree the rooftops will be almost completely useless to me, mainly because I'll construct buildings multiple tiles wide.  I might even look into swapping pieces with other people in the future if I get them.

But the build-able buildings I completely love.  We'd just pre-assemble scenes before the nights session started.  I'd probably assemble upper stories off to the side or at least get some sheets of balsa wood to easily pick up the second story.  I've looked at other solutions to this kind of table-top accessories (Miniature Building Authority for example) but, while they are technically cheaper on a one to one building basis, they are nowhere near as versatile and are more difficult to store... making the Dwarven Forge stuff a bigger cost and space savings in the long run.

I have a large amount of interior accessories already, easily enough to flesh out an entire Tavern/Inn with the proprietors living quarters built in/added on to the side.  This will basically give me everything I'll ever need for urban and/or simple structure based (outpost, road-side inns or taverns) adventures.  Once I start running the campaign I'm working on now there will be two particular buildings the players are in on a regular basis and this will fit those needs nicely.

Of course, I'm going to likely end up spending more on this one KS than I have on all the others combined.  :o
- Cory Magel

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2015, 12:17:51 AM »
Brand new Kickstarter for gamemats that looks pretty cool.  They are 8"/10" hexagonal and 8" square durable, writeable, and attach together using magnets.   I'm tempted to drop $75 on it... but I'll eventually get a game table that has a drop in hex surface anyhow, so it's unlikely.

But, some here might very it really useful.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamenightlife/gnl-mats?ref=category_newest
- Cory Magel

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 12:17:37 AM »
Oh no! I just found this - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/ninja-all-stars

Also I was really excited about this - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/781219801/the-titan-series however, once I'd stopped salivating over the idea of having games delivered to my house every year for three years, I realised that it's actually not a great deal. It doesn't tell you enough about the game to warrant me backing it.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 02:11:09 AM »
I'm cutting myself off until I'm working again.  Unless, you know, something truly spectacular comes up that I just can't live without.

I finally had one of the things happen that I knew would eventually annoy me.  I can now order a game I backed on an online store for less than I backed it for on Kickstarter (by about 25%).  I expected it to happen eventually.  I'm sure it's going to happen with a couple of the others I backed.  I may start dropping out of KS's that are wildly successful if I want to risk never seeing it on the 'shelf' (unless there's something I'm getting out of backing them that's worth it).
- Cory Magel

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
I have just received my first ever successful kickstarter product and it looks immense. A board game called 'Galaxy of Trian'. I haven't played it yet but as I understand it, it is Settlers of Catan in Space.

As I was going through the list of backers, I saw one Corey Magel's name appear. Let me know what you think of it Corey.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »
I suspect it has more in common with Carcassonne than Catan... but I'll let you know when I get it.
- Cory Magel