Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - Where to now?  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA for Rolemaster - Where to now?
« on: October 31, 2014, 07:04:30 AM »
The last update to ERA (available here) should address some of the installation complexity, and should soon be available on RPGNow as well.

So, what now? There might be house rules that you have in your group and can't apply with the current version, or maybe you play RMFRP, downloaded the demo (available here) and would like the full files to be prepared for sale.
Terry Amthor also said that he would like ERA to include more Shadow World content.

Let us know what you think should happen next.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - Where to now?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 07:40:34 AM »
And if I remember correctly, you said that you intend to have a version for RMU (once the rules and charts are finalized), is that still correct?
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »
Yes, of course. RMU will be my priority once new rules are published.
This poll was mostly to know what other ideas could be explored in the meantime.
It seems most votes up to now go to the RMFRP version. That is weird, considering the demo for RMFRP has been available for some time, but there has been no feedback at all and almost no one downloaded it.

Offline szaki2

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:49:55 AM »
Maybe just waiting to full version like me. Im not interested in demo only app. Why try something useless?

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:51:29 PM »
I wouldn't call the demo useless, as it can help you understand the program before you spend money on it.  As to why I have not gone with it yet, as RMFRP/RMSS Player, 4 children and Christmas is right around the corner.  Also I am on a tablet and not sure if it will work on an android based platform.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 06:16:34 AM »
The demo is not meant to be used during your current campaign. My idea for offering it this way, before putting the files for sale, is that people can download and check how it works beforehand. In this way, a potential customer can influence the direction of the product. There could be little features not currently included which might be of use to some groups. If pointed out early enough, they could be included in the version that we will offer through RPGNow.

As regards using it on a tablet, the answer has 2 sides: the ERA Server must run on a Windows, Mac or Linux computer. Android and iOS are not suitable for the server. BUT once the server is running on a computer, the application interface can be accessed through any browser in the same WiFi network. That could be the same computer that is running the server, a tablet, smartphone, etc.
This is not the same as implying that it will be comfortable to use it from them. The character creation module is meant to be used in a screen of at least 10'', and I would even suggest 14'' (though a player in my group once leveled up using my 7'' tablet, and with some effort got the job done). The adventuring module should be useful from screens of 10'' up, and my recommendation is to do it with access to a keyboard. The character status module is specifically designed to be accessed by the players' smartphones, so any device of 4'' or more will be fine.

Offline Profcrab

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »
Is it possible to do crit table roll adjustments? I'm not running my game for a while now, which will give a chance for RMU to come out. However, when I do, I'm planning on applying an adjustment to the crit tables when hitting PCs and special enemies. Still dangerous but less insta-kill.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 04:26:50 PM »
After scoring a crit you would normally open the critical resolution dialog and enter the critical roll to look up the results.
An easy way of "adjusting" is just entering a lower value.

If you'd rather have "all tables interpreted as 20 less than rolled" then the best way to handle it would be to change the critical files, in the section where you specify the roll range for each result. Of course, this can be done for critical files you create yourself (.crit.XML), but not for the official files that are created when you install the modules available at RPGNow (.criticals.era).

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 10:15:07 AM »
My "something else" suggestion: Check-box options for common/official options. For example, yes/no on RMC2 skill list(or you have done this already...not sure. Buying the rest of the software tonight....)  Or isn't there an official option to swap the realms of Monk and Bard? Things like that.

Edit, add: Do you have non-attack spell effects coded? Haste or Shield for instance?
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »
Although the application supports most of the official rules and has room for tweaking and achieving the equivalent of applying optional rules, I tend to stay away from the "Check options" format.
The system intends to offer as much flexibility as possible, allowing for GM's to play as they see fit, regardless of whether it's from the books or from a house rule. So instead of saying "Option 11.3: Additional Development Points For Secondary Skills" there is a setting in the configuration file that allows you to set an additional percentage or fixed number of DPs for secondary skills.
What could be done, using your request as the guide, is to have a document/table that helps to match optional rules to actions to perform in the configuration to achieve it, when possible.
What do you think about that? Would it be useful?

The Monk/Bard dilemma could be solved if we offered all professions as available: Monk [Essence], Monk [Mentalism], Bard [Essence] and Bard [Mentalism]. Something even better would be for players to be able to choose their realm when creating a character. This could be done in future versions if there is interest.

For non-attack spell effects you need to use the "Active Spells" feature. Watch this video for an idea on how to do it, and let me know if something is not clear.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 10:13:05 AM »
What could be done, using your request as the guide, is to have a document/table that helps to match optional rules to actions to perform in the configuration to achieve it, when possible. What do you think about that? Would it be useful?
Yes, I think that would work very well. The other ideas are also good.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »
A first version of the optional rules document has been presented in this post.
It can be downloaded from here.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 11:51:15 AM »
critical fumbles? Are those in there?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 06:05:42 PM »
critical fumbles? Are those in there?
I'm not sure what you mean. Critical fumbles are not an optional rule, so they are not mentioned in the optional rules document.

But, they are a feature of ERA. The last version of the RMFRP demo includes 2 sample fumble tables (2-handed weapons and animal attacks). As always you can create your own XML files to customize the game. Also, for those who purchased the RMC Arms Law, an update is planned that will give you all RMC fumble tables in the next version.

A future tutorial video will explain how to use them in detail, but you can try them and ask if there is any doubt.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »
another suggestion: printing all the pages of the character sheet. I'd like to include the information page.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
Ok, done. The next version will include the character notes after the skills table.
Does anyone think something else is missing from the "printable" character sheet?

In my group, we don't print the notes because the don't normally change when the character levels up.
So, they mostly paste the notes onto a separate document, do some formatting, print it once, and then write on top of it when required.

Offline international1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 05:05:52 PM »
Unfortunately, installation is still cumbersome and the ability to add your own house races is still too hard for a non techie.  I am looking forward to seeing RMU in the system, but would like to use this for a ME campaign and so adding special races or talents would be nice.  I would like the system so I can manage all player characters, but it still seems a bit cumbersome to make characters in the program.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 09:39:01 AM »
I am sorry to hear that you are finding it hard to use.
From your post I take it that you would prefer me to focus next on a race editor of some kind. Or at least to prepare some tutorial videos on how to create races.
Once the RMFRP version is out, and in case RMU beta 2 is still not out by that time, I will try to improve the features you mention.
Remember that if you have specific questions regarding character creation, you can post them in the main ERA thread. If you need assistance with advanced customization like race creation, please read the posts already made in the advanced use thread, and add anything that you need help with. There are already some users that have had a little experience with it, so they might help you with answers from a user's point of view.

Offline international1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 01:17:54 PM »
I appreciate your response.  Unfortunately, when I see tutorials they are still too techie for me and I am not techie at all.  I am a corporate lawyer so not a complete idiot...well I guess that depends on your perspective.  A dummy proof editor to add races or cultures or add skill specialties or talents would be helpful.  I really love the product and if it becomes more user friendly I would be able to bring more people into the RM system much easier.  I loved the idea of FGs but even that was way to cumbersome to use.  Yours is a lot easier so I am not unappreciative.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 05:20:10 PM »
Ok, then I'll put your vote for a race/culture editor.
It seems like a feature for a long term schedule, but I wouldn't rule it out.