Author Topic: Stargate SG-1 Source  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Stargate SG-1 Source
« on: July 16, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »
I was just watching one of my favorite TV shows (as Jack O'Neill would say), and wondered what happened to the SG:SG-1 RPG. Apparently there was one released back in 2003, and then MGM was bought by SONY and they killed it? I can hardly think of a more fun idea than being part of a Stargate team, fighting the Goa'uld, discovering new technology, meeting new races. It could be SF and fantasy, Rolemaster and Spacemaster...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Stargate SG-1 Source
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »
I was one of the writers.  The license wasn't renewed and the line was cancelled. I can't remember if that was on MGM's end or AEG's. It might have been the Sony thing. I just remember the people directly above me weren't happy about losing the license, but I don't remember if it was higher people in AEG or if it was someone on the studio side. Long time ago. :)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:36 PM »
You can still get it on RPGNow though.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
It might be a cheep one to pick up if it is still owned by Sony. I have been told that Sony is looking for ways to find $, ie selling off a lot of stuff.

But on the other hand SG is a great intellectual property and they would be very interested in protecting it, so they would want to see what the company has planed for SG and their companies game assets. I would guess this would mean at least a 1-2 year back and forth before going to production. But I am just guessing.
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 01:01:58 AM »
If I ever do it I'd just use RM anyhow.  I think Stargate would be supremely simple to simulate with pretty much any game system that has both modern and sci-fi setting material.  Think "Black Ops" and "Weapon Law: Firearms" combined with Spacemaster.

You could do Star Wars so long as there was something equivalent to "The Force" too (psionics for example).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:52:49 AM »
Yes, it could be a very interesting setting and provide a lot of variation due to the different technologies from one world to another.  I've only seen a few episodes of the show off and on so never really knew what was going on from a larger plot perspective even though I did enjoy most of those that I have seen, but I really liked the original movie.
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline madvogon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
The combination of Spacemaster and a Modern version of Standard System would work well.  Having seen every episode in order of both series as well as the final two movies, the only caveat I can come up with is that all magic in Star Gate is a direct application of Clarke's Axiom: Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Just what I need another campaign setting to develop!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »
The combination of Spacemaster and a Modern version of Standard System would work well.  Having seen every episode in order of both series as well as the final two movies, the only caveat I can come up with is that all magic in Star Gate is a direct application of Clarke's Axiom: Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Just what I need another campaign setting to develop!

Exactly, about Clarke's Axion, as we saw with Thor's Hammer all the way through the evil Ori. I'm tempted to look up the sourcebooks just for fun, because I love the setting: SG-1 or Atlantis.

And maybe back in the olden days a full-sized ICE could have taken on that license but not today. I just think it would be a great game to run with Spacemaster and Rolemaster, since the series encompasses fantasy and SF elements, and those systems merge so well (if I do say so myself).
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 01:22:39 PM »
AEG did a D20 source book for Stargate.  No idea how successful or good it was.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »
I'm working my way through SG-1 at the moment, having gone through a rather odd sequence thanks to me stopping watching television for several years. Film, SG-1 seasons one and two, then a bit of 5 and some/most of 6, SGU, Atlantis - with the two SG-1 feature lengths during that (should have saved them), then back to SG-1 from the beginning, now at season 6.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 03:28:49 PM »
I'm working my way through SG-1 at the moment, having gone through a rather odd sequence thanks to me stopping watching television for several years. Film, SG-1 seasons one and two, then a bit of 5 and some/most of 6, SGU, Atlantis - with the two SG-1 feature lengths during that (should have saved them), then back to SG-1 from the beginning, now at season 6.

My you did bounce around!  I never was able to really get into SG:U, to depressing. SG-1 kind of went off the rails towards the end with RDA basically phoning it in, and adding Ben and Claudia (as much as I like them). I liked Atlantis a lot, and was sad that it was cancelled. It and SG-1 were supposedly cancelled not because of low ratings, but they got too expensive (one has to wonder if it was the effects, or the stars wanting more money every year, and SyFy being cheap...)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
I noticed that by the end the effects on SGU and Atlantis were way bigger (starship combat) than the earlier SG-1 (four people with guns going through a gate), but I've read differing reasons for the cancellation.

The order is largely because of stopping for several years, then discovering a channel that's showing these old series (including Enterprise) last year.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »
I noticed that by the end the effects on SGU and Atlantis were way bigger (starship combat) than the earlier SG-1 (four people with guns going through a gate), but I've read differing reasons for the cancellation.

The order is largely because of stopping for several years, then discovering a channel that's showing these old series (including Enterprise) last year.

Ooh, what channel do you have? I found one that is showing a few SG-1 eps a week, but I have all the SG-1 and Atlantis eps on DVD. I have actually been watching a few Enterprise eps on iTunes and not hating it as much as I remember.

Yes, the effects for SG-1 did ramp up, but Atlantis was pretty high-end from the beginning, starting with the city (Frank Lloyd Wright on the inside, post-post modern on the outside).
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 03:25:58 AM »
It's PickTV, a UK channel. They're showing 5 episodes of SG-1 a week, five of Farscape and one of Battlestar Galactica. Previously, since I discovered it, they've shown Enterprise 2 2/5 times (don't ask), SGU and SG Atlantis completely. They re-run them a lot; they were in the middle of showing SG-1 when I discovered it, so I waited for it to re-start. They've also shown Warehouse 13, and I think Voyager and DS9 - I'm hoping they run again, as I missed the last few seasons of each.

Oh, and to further add to my strange Stargate viewing order, I also saw the first season of Atlantis after seeing parts of seasons five and six of SG-1.

Offline madvogon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 12:59:16 PM »
Let us not forget the limited run of the animated Star Gate Extreme on Fox Kids.

In a lot of ways, this would work really well as an RP campaign and since it stopped dead in the middle of the story, there are many possibilities for game design here.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 01:36:17 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the Star Gate Video Game?
Maybe that is why they stopped the pen and paper RPG.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:48 PM »
Let us not forget the limited run of the animated Star Gate Extreme on Fox Kids.
In a lot of ways, this would work really well as an RP campaign and since it stopped dead in the middle of the story, there are many possibilities for game design here.
Oh heck, for Stargate the possibilities are endless.  You could really do almost anything you wanted.  Even if you're in the middle of storyline it's easy to say you're one of the other teams doing things simultaneous to the standard plot if you felt you needed to not mess with the overall storyline of the series.
- Cory Magel

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:57:13 AM »
I have a few of the Stargate RPG books...
Honestly, from what I've read, the system was just there as faire valoir and wouldn't have survived long to a group of player playing in a campaign before crumbling to dust. ( I haven't played with it since I bought them for the setting background information ).

From a Rolemaster/Spacemaster point of view Stargate would works well, either as a Campaign Rolemaster with the modern extensions ( Firearms, .. ) or as a Spacemaster with medieval stuff... or as a full mixed RM2/SM2 ( RMSS/SM:P ) campaign ( the full mix is the best choice if you have the books, as it allows all the possibilities of the setting )

514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 08:57:46 AM »
Could not this (SG like setting) be adapted to Shadow World with Gate Travel and barriers between areas?
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 01:38:02 PM »
As a HUGE fan of all things RM, and a SG1 fanboy... I will be watching this thread closely! carry on Ladies and Gentlemen, carry on!
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland