Author Topic: Crowdsourcing an Adventure Path?  (Read 26242 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Crowdsourcing an Adventure Path?
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
I don't think you need to wait for RMU to get started, but yes I would get a formal approval from Nicholas before jumping in. And it need not be unpaid volunteer; there might be some compensation, but Nicholas would decide that.

And of course I would like some kind of basic 'Series Editor' kind of role where I bless the thing at various stages to make sure you're not going off in the wrong direction...

Best of luck! :-)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline MrApollinax

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »
I suspect this sort of thing might dovetail very nicely with the debate elsewhere about creating archetypes for RMU professions. You could introduce new 'builds', races, spell lists, optional talents and rules in each module. So, setting a module in a swamp might allow you to incorporate a Swamp-focused Ranger build and a swamp-dwelling race etc.

By 'builds' I have in mind a set of skill & talent purchases (e.g. your Swamp Ranger might have the conditional Prodigy talent for Perception or Tracking at Tier 3 with the conditional modifier "only in swamps"). it would avoid a potential blowout in page count for Character Law and possibly incentivise purchasing the module just that little bit more.

You could go whole hog with some real hand-holding modules (a bit like some of the old TSR ones) taking players from character development, and introductory play to being captains of their own souls, so to speak.
Author, HARP Garden of Rain.
Tales of the New Kingdoms (blog)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 07:01:05 PM »
Just aside, RMU is going to need some introduction and help, and as SW is the official RM world right now it would be great to get started on something like this, even if it were to be a series of small adventures to start and then something larger later on...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 03:04:23 AM »
Yes, I don't really think it's necessary to wait until RMU is complete before making a start, as I think that will still take some time (and it might be good if there was a starter module released not long after RMU). For one thing, I think there will be a fair amount of work required just sorting things out before a decision is made on even what to do first. Arranging a team, team communication and file sharing, speaking to Nicholas (I would hope that there would be a saleable product at the end of it for publishing on RPGNow, not just a fan module), seeing what skills people have (especially those who would like to help but aren't really sure how, which includes me).
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »
I would like to see a starter module for the release as either an addition to the release or a package deal with the release. This would make it easy for someone to pick up the system and jump right in with a module ready to go. It could go far with promoting the product and to introduce players and GM's to a fantastic system with a lower learning curve.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »
I think I mentioned that I have a module (one in a  series) ready to go once RMU is finalized.  I actually have the first three written and the outlines for the last 7.  The problem is that I placed it in a non-specific setting.  It would need to be reworked t fit into the SW setting.

I wrote it using RMX as a point of entry for new players and GMs.  So it might be a bit too basic for players experienced with RM.

-BP

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 02:34:07 PM »
Too basic or not it will help reinforce the game mechanics to everyone as a sample type of source. It is all good when it comes back to learning a new system.  :)
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Arc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »
I agree that ideally RMU should launch simultaneously with an adventure. I would guess that ideally it would be an adventure in SW. This should help promote both the new system and the game world. Like when I bought my first edition boxed set of RM and Vog Mur came with that.

BP, I guess that you should talk to Nicholas regarding your module and series.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2016, 06:48:38 PM »
I have been in contact wit Nicolas about it.  Is anyone recording their play tests?  And are any of then in the SW?  I am thinking about running a new play test around the Green Gryphon Inn.  I have started to convert material to RMU.  Once that is done I could let folks look at it and see if this is good for the module.

-BP

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »
Hi,

I am back.

I have no objection to a Shadow World Adventure Path. However I would strongly suggest that any individual or team wishing to work on such start with a smaller project such as an adventure module in size and scope such as Green Gryphon.

Feel free to organise yourselves and then we can discuss putting people under contract.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
A starter module leading into the adventures in one of the recent batch of supplements - Emer III, Eidolon, Xa-ar, Green Gryphon and Tanara - would seem to be a good initial choice.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »
I like the idea of each module being for a particular level set.  While I would not go as high as 50th in the first set of modules.  The idea is to look at the new rules and "reboot" the Shadow World (for some).  Looking at the Tales from the Green Gryphon Inn, we see some very introductory adventures.  I think this is where we start.

If we start small we can always grow.  One of the concerns that some have with SW it is for "high level characters".  High adventure is not always synonymous with high levels.  I am sure the kids (1st levels) are just as pumped saving Mrs McKredies' cat and the older Heroes (30th levels) are about closing the gate to the Pale.

So here is what I see needs to be done for character creation.  We generate a series of stock characters (Fighter, Priest, Mage, Rogue, etc).  We start at 1st level and create the "character packs".  Each new adventure they increase in level (5th, 10th, etc).  In the Judges material we give tips and hints on how to modify the characters if necessary (training packages, spell list, etc for increased levels).  We also give detailed guidelines on character creation.  I would recommend using the Buying Stats rules on pave 39 of Character Law (RMU).  This allows all characters to have the same range of stats.  This would allow a player that REALLY wants to bring a character to do so.

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »
There's an interesting Pathfinder starter module I linked to here originally: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=14130.msg180297#msg180297

It's a bit small, but then it is free. Perhaps do something similar, but larger; a group of starting characters in a small village dealing with a local problem. The village itself could be described in more detail, as a complete location, perhaps with some adventure hooks and ideas attached.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »
A good starting setting.  But that system allows a greater power level at 1st than RM.  Trust me a 1st in that system is closer to 5th in RM.

Can we post files to the board?  Let me piece together an idea and post it here.  We all can the hash it out.  I should be able to get an outline/framework done in a  day or two (I an gearing up for Genghis Con here in Denver so my time is limited).

Any objections?  I will leave it location neutral, mostly because I am a SW neophyte.

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2016, 10:27:50 AM »
Yes, files can be uploaded, they just need approving. And there is a power difference at first level (magic missile!), but there's no reason why a starter module has to be 1st level for RMU.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »
In my pointed little head I was rolling around 3rd level in the first adventure.  Enough time to develop some skills and know something about weapons ("The pointy end goes in the other guy!")

But my idea for the files was to be the setting.  A village set on a calm seacoast where most of the population are fishermen.  But there is a nice river valley just inland to provide for some livestock and produce production.  The population is settled and quite peaceful.

The fighter would be a junior person in the local militia and might have actually see action in the dust up with smugglers a few years back.  The Priest came here from the Capital to care for the souls of the flock...but most of the population only sees him on "meeting days".

This is my idea.  Good?  Stinks?

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »
Xa-ar has a number of small, independent coastal settlements and fishing villages, which have short descriptions in the sourcebook. The land is not exactly peaceful; more like not currently at war. There isn't a specific capital either. However, that might be a suitable location.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 07:52:13 PM »
I am not tying this to a location yet.  But it should have been stable for at least 10 years or so.  Wars on the frontier are OK.  But burning down the village in that time would not allow folks to have the coin to hire adventurers to do the tasks at hand.  But they need not have beaten their swords into plough shares.

I was thinking of some homegrown as well as imported heroes.  The issue with the Seven Samurai ideal is that all of the characters need to be altruistic.  It worked there because of the culture.  Most mercenaries would do just what it took to get paid and then move on.

So Sam the Butcher's son turned soldier would be a better choice for the low level stuff that Mert the Mercenary.  Sam will stay when the gold stops coming if it is to save his home, Mert is on the next wagon out of there.

I would think we need some 2 - 3 adventures before the hordes come riding on.  But the specter of war if they fail is a very good plot hook.

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 03:57:25 AM »
Xa-ar would still seem to be a good location. It has been at peace for a while, but the area is not what you would call long-term stable. Perhaps Terry could weigh in on this.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 05:57:34 AM »
Xa-ar would still seem to be a good location. It has been at peace for a while, but the area is not what you would call long-term stable. Perhaps Terry could weigh in on this.

Xa-ar works for me. There are also numerous small towns in Rhakhaan (there's a map on the back of the Haalkitaine module), and towns neighboring Gryphonburgh are also mentioned in that module.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.